When Are Hop Acids Released ?

The supporting act

When Are Hop Acids Released ?

Postby Pjam » Tue Jun 30, 2015 22:26

I know AA will bitter right down to 80C and is pretty well all released after 90 mins but when do hops release AA into the wort?
Hmmmm not very clear, what I'm asking is ..... Could I remove the hops after 5 mins? Would they have released the acids yet, or is it a gradual process taking place over the 90 mins?
I'm suggesting a 90 min boil with hops removed after 5 mins (or 15 etc).
Pjam
Brewer

Re: When Are Hop Acids Released ?

Postby AFewTooMany » Wed Jul 01, 2015 09:26

Could be wrong but think it's a gradual thing. But why do you want to remove them? Leave then in for full boil and save money on hops and the hassle

Work is the curse of the drinking classes
AFewTooMany
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Wed Jul 01, 2015 09:44

Not only do hops isomerise with time in the boil, they are also destroyed with time in the boil, so your idea of removing the hops after 5 minutes just won't work, any isomerisation that take place in the first five minutes will be completely destroyed by the remaining 85 minutes.

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby Pjam » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:01

Damn, I see. Thanks.

My reason for asking was I thought by removing them (and letting them drain) I'd have less wort absorption.
My thoughts were triggered by the idea that when using no chill (i don't BTW) bittering still takes place long after the hops were removed. Though now I can see that's a different thing.
Pjam
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Tue Jul 28, 2015 18:56

I was thinking about getting a biab bag for my boiler so I could lift out the hops at 0mins and then give them a quick rinse with water from the kettle. Doesn't really stop the absorption problem though....
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby supersteve » Wed Jul 29, 2015 09:50

If you want to avoid using hops for bittering then buy some of this -
http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Isomerised-Hop-Extract-57ml-Isomerized.html#.VbiTmFLbK70

That will cut down on your absorption loss if you find yourself using too much hops for bittering.
supersteve
Brewer

Postby Kyle_T » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:07

Just use a hop sock and squeeze them.

Next Brew: AG#63.

Beer Brewed (2015): 136.4 Gallons
Beer Brewed (2016): 90.0 Gallons
Beer Brewed (2017): 20.0 Gallons

First AG Brewed: 11.4.2013.
https://theessexbrewer.wordpress.com
Kyle_T
The Essex Brewer

Postby graysalchemy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 16:55

I squeeze my hops after the boil, though I squeeze them keeping it separate from the rest of yhe wort and quickly reboil it yo sterilise before cooling and adding back to the wort.

graysalchemy

Postby Pjam » Wed Aug 05, 2015 13:45

graysalchemy wrote:I squeeze my hops after the boil, though I squeeze them keeping it separate from the rest of yhe wort and quickly reboil it yo sterilise before cooling and adding back to the wort.

Hmmm, I wonder, those hops you've squeeze, some would be the exhausted bittering hops but some would be the late hops ...... does this 2nd sterilising boil create more bittering ?

You can tell I still haven't got a clue :lol:
Pjam
Brewer