Nelson Sauvin and Wai-Iti

The supporting act

Nelson Sauvin and Wai-Iti

Postby DaveS » Wed Apr 26, 2017 19:12

Has anyone used these two together? Or individually?

I'm sort of kicking ideas around for summer brews, and RLemkin's sour beer posts have got me inspired to try a dry-hopped kettle sour. These two hops seem like a shoo-in for it - light citrus, gooseberry, white wine grape etc - but I can't find much discussion of wai-iti online except someone who reckons that it's fairly delicate and would probably get squashed under something like NS.

So has anyone tried this combination? Or at least tried wai-iti and got an idea of whether it'll hold its own, or whether it'd be better to just use Nelson or mix in something more assertive like Rakau?

Cheers!
DaveS
Brewer

Re: Nelson Sauvin and Wai-Iti

Postby rlemkin » Wed Apr 26, 2017 21:35

I've used Nelson in plenty of blends and enjoyed it, but have been much less keen on single hop beers based on it. I know a few people who agree that it plays best with other hops.. However, I think with hopping at lower levels than those used in an IPA in a light base sour you often extract different flavours.

I was recently reading about how using a wider range of hops can help bring out different aspects of the components. I've never been entirely convinced by the idea that hops stomp all over one another. There are so many things going on with hops, not to mention the differing levels of all the various types of oils etc.that it makes sense to me that they'd still have an impact.

Either way.. there's only one way to find out! Hard to go wrong with dry hopping :)
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Wed Apr 26, 2017 21:54

Sauvin is the absolute daddy.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby DaveS » Thu Apr 27, 2017 21:00

rlemkin wrote:Either way.. there's only one way to find out! Hard to go wrong with dry hopping :)

Yep, I think I'll go with that as an approach - worst case scenario it'll just taste of Nelson!

Rob - agree!
DaveS
Brewer