Watch out for Get er brewed 30K limit

Postby Hairybiker » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:32

It most certainly ISN'T 30Kg.
I ordered a sack of malt, 2*1Kg of adjuncts, 3 bags of hops & some yeast (dried), which is reckon is ~27.5Kg
They emailed me saying it was OVER 30Kg and would be charged extra to send it.

Thank you for your order.

You have ordered 25kg sack of grain along with other hops and grain which will weigh over 28kgs before packaging.

As discussed before, we only dispatch orders up to 30kgs. Especially on goods to UK which can incur a £30 surcharge if over the weight.

Still waiting for an answer as to why 30Kg ISN'T 30Kg. I have ordered similar from Worcester HS before with no issues.

Happy Linux Mint User.
Check it out at Linux Mint for a FREE download.
Hairybiker
Brewer

Re: Watch out for Get er brewed 30K limit

Postby calumscott » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:42

Packaging HB, packaging.

25kg sack of malt will have 25kg of malt + the weight of the sack etc...

Then there's whatever box they're going to put it all in.

I've managed to sting myself on ebay in the past by not factoring in enough slack for the box it goes in!
calumscott
Admin

Postby Hairybiker » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:03

Yes BUT, it still not not come to 30Kg. A sack is <300g the bags for hops & grain are g's each.
So still 28Kg NOT 30Kg. If you advertise a service that says you can buy 30Kg then I would expect to be able to do so.
If you are going to say it is NET then say so. How is a customer supposed to know the weight of your packaging?
If you don't do that then put the actual weight of the item on the order list. so 25.5Kg for a sack etc.

As I said I have had orders from WHS of the same level with no issues.

Happy Linux Mint User.
Check it out at Linux Mint for a FREE download.
Hairybiker
Brewer

Postby calumscott » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:27

It's probably because WHS know exactly, through years of experience, just where the limits lie.

Decent software should help, it can't be that hard to configure a highwater box strategy. One that increases the weight of the packaging as you add stuff to the basket. So you add one pack of hops - that's 12g for a posting bag. Three packs then you're at a small box of 100g etc...

Additionally as you say, there should be a commodity weight and a posting weight for everything.

If the shop wants to get hands on inside a range, fair enough, but at that point they really need to go and pick the goods and box it and weigh it and see if it will go through or not - at that point they can then tell you for sure that it's 30.1kg or whatever not just "it's within 2kg of the limit so sod you..."

I don't think they've done anything really wrong except for their very odd, less than helpful, stance in that respect. They're right to protect themselves against silly shipping costs, they're right to give themselves the opportunity to see if they can package at less than the 30kg cutoff. But why, oh why, would you give yourself the opportunity to serve properly then not take it?!?!?

A good example of how not to do it...
calumscott
Admin

Postby vacant » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:58

Hairybiker wrote:As I said I have had orders from WHS of the same level with no issues.

Yes, you can see the cumulative weight when building your order so no nasty surprises. I usually get extra hops or 500g grain to get just under the limit.

My future plans include not much
vacant
Brewer

Postby supersteve » Tue Nov 03, 2015 13:24

"This person wants to buy our products".. "But they are too close to the delivery maximum it will probably go over and we will get charged through the nose for it".. What do you do?

Personally I'd weigh up the profit margins and strip out 2KG worth of products and deliver separately packaged.. but if the margins weren't there to allow me to do that I'd probably just contact the seller and see if they had placed something heavy on order that they really didn't need.. they're really only asking if there is something you could take out like turning a 1KG pack of malt into a 500g
supersteve
Brewer