Temperature sensor HERMS build

Postby chrisbjones202 » Wed May 17, 2017 21:53

Hi all

I'm looking to build a HERMS system as I enjoy a good Heffe. Initially I'm looking to make a cheap kettle with coil build to see how I get on.

I've been searching through the forum for advise on options, specifically to screw inline after kettle coil. I'll be using a PID to control kettle.

Can u advise a good sensor that can be screwed into a tee piece (with a reducer if necessary)?

Open to any advice.

Thanks
Chris

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
chrisbjones202
Brewer

Re: Temperature sensor HERMS build

Postby PhatFil » Thu May 18, 2017 15:46

using a 15mm brass compression T fitting you can use a 'soft red lid grommet' instead of an olive for a quick soft grip/seal on most probes you can use..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Home-Brew-Win ... SwA29Y3Cie
(not the cheapest option, just the first in the search ..)

alternitvly homebrewbuilder has 35mm probes with 1/2" or 3/8" threaded plugs, or ebay/aliexpress etc for far east bargains which may or may not prove any good. the cheap ebay probes pictured above in my herms return experiments are NOT worth a punt, some fell apart, all had SS probe sheafs but had mild steel? threaded fittings which were not sealed against the probe sheaf. so resulted in leaky fits and rust nuts ;) the leaks were sorted with a smear of jbweld at the sheaf/thread joint easily enough but.... imho best to invest in a real class A or B pt100 ;)
PhatFil
Brewer