Rumtopf

A designated driver would probably appreciate something made just for them

Rumtopf

Postby duncs » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:31

In case you don't know no, THIS is a rumtopf.

Being impatient, I couldn't wait for a whole year to make it, so everything went in at the same time. Here's what went in to my 1 gallon rumtopf

Strawberrys
Pears ( Conference and Comice)
Nectarines
Apricots
Peaches
Plums
Grapes (red and white)
Black Cherries
Pineapple

300g Sugar
1 litre 60% rum

I've also made a tropical fruit version in a smaller 1 litre Kilner jar

6 Kiwi fruit
1 large Mango
1 Papaya
1 pack of Physalas
Pineapple
3 Persimmons

150g sugar
500ml 60% rum

Made up in January and already tasting amazing.

Photos to follow...

Ego bibo ergo sum
duncs
Brewer

Re: Rumtopf

Postby duncs » Sat Apr 26, 2014 13:09

As promised, pics of the 2 rumtopfs
Attachments
DSC_0113.JPG
Tropical Rumtopf
DSC_0113.JPG (67.75 KiB) Viewed 3318 times
DSC_0114.JPG
Rumtopf 2
DSC_0114.JPG (81.38 KiB) Viewed 3318 times
DSC_0115.JPG
Rumtopf 1
DSC_0115.JPG (68.57 KiB) Viewed 3318 times

Ego bibo ergo sum
duncs
Brewer

Postby duncs » Sat Apr 26, 2014 13:10

Also made a strawberry one yesterday
Attachments
DSC_0111.JPG
Strawberry
DSC_0111.JPG (85.74 KiB) Viewed 3317 times

Ego bibo ergo sum
duncs
Brewer

Postby Bad 'Ed » Mon Jul 21, 2014 18:54

How did they / are they turning out? Does it really need a long time to mature? I might start one now and see what happens by Christmas. How do you approximate rum to fruit ratio? Just enough to make sure everything is covered?

Does the rum not go off being exposed to oxygen for 6+ months?

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby Bad 'Ed » Mon Jul 21, 2014 18:57

How do you think a sour fruit one would turn out? Like greengages, rhubarb and black currents?

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby BIGJIM72 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 23:12

Tried this first,like you,with the kilner jars. I didn't stick with rum & made some single fruit varieties with different spirits.

Raspberries with whiskey-that vanished first
Plums in brandy-still got a few hanging round-nice for a steamed suet pud as an alternative to the normal Xmas pud
Strawberries with Southern Comfort & orange zest-that went quick

TBH I think a favourite was a mix of soft fruit in gin (stawbs,,blackberries,loganberries,mulberries,raspberries & whatever else was ripe for the picking)

On holiday I managed to pick up 2 rumtopfs for a fiver-well made up.

Hope this turns out well for you.

I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Brewing,baking & grilling up a storm in South London
BIGJIM72
Brewer

Postby duncs » Tue Jul 22, 2014 07:53

Bad 'Ed wrote:How did they / are they turning out? Does it really need a long time to mature? I might start one now and see what happens by Christmas. How do you approximate rum to fruit ratio? Just enough to make sure everything is covered?

Does the rum not go off being exposed to oxygen for 6+ months?

They have turned out really well, the tropical one has all gone now although I think it was drunk a little early. The traditional rumtopf is still maturing very nicely, it's developed a deep sweet plum taste, you wouldn't think it's alcoholic at all.

I've used enough rum to cover the fruit by a couple of cm's. I've used over proof rum to stop anything going mouldy. I thought 1 bottle wouldn't be enough, so I got 2. 1 bottle was plenty, there was even some left over in the first bottle after the traditional version, that's why I tried the other ones.

The rumtopf is covered with cling-film so isn't exposed to too much oxygen, I just took it off for the photos.

Ego bibo ergo sum
duncs
Brewer

Postby Bad 'Ed » Tue Aug 19, 2014 22:34

All the recipes I've seen ask for sugar to 50% of the weight of fruit. This seems quite a lot, does it really need that mutch or is this just people putting way too much sugar in everything again?

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby duncs » Wed Aug 20, 2014 06:59

Bad 'Ed wrote:All the recipes I've seen ask for sugar to 50% of the weight of fruit. This seems quite a lot, does it really need that mutch or is this just people putting way too much sugar in everything again?

I guess it depends on how sweet you like it. I was going to go for 50% sugar, but after tasting it, it would have been far to sweet for my taste. My guess is that mine is about 30% sugar and it's very sweet.

Ego bibo ergo sum
duncs
Brewer

Postby duncs » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:36

I have found a little pot of the tropical rumtopf, I thought it'd all gone. Now it's matured, I can say don't add persimmons, they go a funny colour and chewy. All the other fruit is ok.

Ego bibo ergo sum
duncs
Brewer

Postby Bad 'Ed » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:58

I made one with young Nectarines and blackberries, and very ripe apricots and blueberries. Plus 25% sugar (33% of the fruit weight) and a bottle of nice 58% Pussers rum.

I'm hoping the sharpness of the blackberries will mellow and the usual blandness of the blueberries won't matter. Also annoyed that I missed all the strawberries, these will definitely be first on the list next year.

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby Bad 'Ed » Tue Jan 06, 2015 08:48

An update now I've been eating it for a while: 33% of fruit weight was not enough sugar (there weren't many sweet fruit added) so more sugar was dissolved into the liquid about 2 weeks before Christmas.

The licquor was lovely but the fruit had absorbed a lot of the harsh spirit before it was back sweetened meaning each piece of fruit was an explosion of 58% rum. I'm going to do it again this summer, but will put enough sugar in from the start this time to try to ensure the fruit are as sweet as the licquor.

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby duncs » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:16

I'll give an update on mine then. I found that mine was sweet enough with the sugar I added, although that may be because of the fruit I used. The Comice pears went a little mushy, so I won't be using those again this year. The cherries and pineapple held their flavour the most and the grapes are balls of sweet rum :thumb: . Half of the jar went on Christmas day when the in-laws came over, I forgot to tell them how strong it was, they both went home very happy. :cheers1:

The strawberry one didn't last long enough for me to let it mature for long enough, the other half liked it too much. The jar it was in is now full of sloe vodka, ready for next Christmas and already tasting lovely.

Ego bibo ergo sum
duncs
Brewer