Elderflower cordial

A designated driver would probably appreciate something made just for them

Elderflower cordial

Postby narmour » Mon Jul 07, 2014 14:57

I made a batch of this at the weekend for my wife who is partial to a drop of this during the summer.

3 pints elderflowers
3 litres water
5 lemons, zested and thickly sliced
1.8kg sugar
5 tsp citric acid

Boil the water and dissolve the sugar. Allow to cool down a bit.
Throw in all the other ingredients.
Cover and leave steeping for 48 hours.
Strain off the lumps and put into sterilised cordial bottles.

It's very tasty, quite lemony which is how I like it. If you prefer less lemony cut back on the citric acid or remove one of the lemons.

Enjoy!

:hat:

The House of Badger Presents, the "Badger's Arse" range.

Planning- Another Youngs APA
Brewing- Kenridge showcase Amarone
Conditioning- Kenridge Showcase Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, Various WoWs, Perpetual TC, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz
Drinking- Caxton's Real Ale, Youngs APA
narmour
Brewer

Re: Elderflower cordial

Postby krazypara3165 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 07:49

I made some of this last week for the first time! absolutley superb!

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Bad 'Ed » Sun Jul 12, 2015 17:53

narmour wrote:
3 pints elderflowers
3 litres water
1.8kg sugar
5 tsp citric acid

What's the citric acid for?

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 07:46

Bad 'Ed wrote:
narmour wrote:
3 pints elderflowers
3 litres water
1.8kg sugar
5 tsp citric acid

What's the citric acid for?

I wish someone knew, This seems to be recommended in most recipes and I have no idea why....... I'd be inclined to leave it out but it turns out fantastic as it is so I've always just left it in.

Kegged:

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Maysie » Mon Jul 13, 2015 13:27

How much of the stalk do you leave on the elderflower heads?
I made some elderflower fizz last year and it was absolutely grim, but I left a loads of stalk on so wondered if that way have been the issue?
Maysie
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 18:02

Maysie wrote:How much of the stalk do you leave on the elderflower heads?
I made some elderflower fizz last year and it was absolutely grim, but I left a loads of stalk on so wondered if that way have been the issue?

....don't leave any on, place in a bin bag for 24-48 hours then shake and you should just get the petals. My fizz was a bit grim (too bitter) but a year in the bottle has done it wonders!!

Kegged:

Bottled:

Maturing:

Next Up:
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Bad 'Ed » Mon Jul 13, 2015 20:23

Do things like this need to mature over time or are they good pretty much straight away?

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby Bad 'Ed » Mon Jul 13, 2015 22:55

Also, I'm thinking of adding a campden tablet at bottling time with the intention of stopping any fermentation which might occur. Is this too late, or too little?

Or thinking about it perhaps I should dispense with the campden tablet and add potassium sorbate instead.

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 07:45

cordial is good to go straight away! i've never had an issue with fermentation or anything else so dont tend to add anything else :)

Kegged:

Bottled:

Maturing:

Next Up:
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Maysie » Tue Jul 14, 2015 08:42

krazypara3165 wrote:
Maysie wrote:How much of the stalk do you leave on the elderflower heads?

....don't leave any on, place in a bin bag for 24-48 hours then shake and you should just get the petals. My fizz was a bit grim (too bitter) but a year in the bottle has done it wonders!!

Thank you.
Sounds like a schoolboy error on my part. I left mine to mature for quite a while and it was still grim. So much so that I have not bothered doing it again since.
Maysie
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:09

Just keep it in the fridge Ed, no fermentation to be had at those temps.

Mine is much the same. I find it best with fizzy water, or poured into cider :)
robwalker
Brewer

Postby Bad 'Ed » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:48

robwalker wrote:Just keep it in the fridge Ed, no fermentation to be had at those temps.

Thanks Rob. How long have you kept it in the fridge for? I'm hoping to keep it for a year or so, until next year's crop is in.

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 14:05

Bad 'Ed wrote:
robwalker wrote:Just keep it in the fridge Ed, no fermentation to be had at those temps.

Thanks Rob. How long have you kept it in the fridge for? I'm hoping to keep it for a year or so, until next year's crop is in.

If you want to keep it that long, freeze it. mine started to go at around 6 weeks in the fridge.

Kegged:

Bottled:

Maturing:

Next Up:
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby robwalker » Tue Jul 14, 2015 15:27

I too would assume 6 weeks. Freezing and airtight sounds like the ideal solution.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby Pakman » Tue Jul 14, 2015 17:38

We froze a load last spring to use at a 'pre-elderflower' wedding this march. Survived fine and made a completely different drink from boring plain Prosecco to welcome the guests.
Graham

If they say money cannot buy happiness - then explain motorcycles and beer! :thumb:
Pakman
Brewer

Postby Bad 'Ed » Wed Jul 15, 2015 08:29

Would there be any harm in adding potassium sorbate? I'll be giving some of it away and I'm pretty sure they will not drink it in the six weeks.

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby Bad 'Ed » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:36

This rain has made me hanker after the tastes of summer, so I went to my freezer to pick out a bottle of elderflower cordial only to find that 4 of my remaining 5 had cracked (one had actually decided to make friends with everything below it in the chest freezer). They must expand a lot more in the freezer than I would have thought at the time (probably only left the neck of the bottle free).

I'm going to defrost and strain through a spare hop bag and hopefully rebottle as I really enjoyed this. The plus side is that I'll have to stop giving it away to people as there could now be harmful side effects.

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer