What to grow

A designated driver would probably appreciate something made just for them

What to grow

Postby Bad 'Ed » Sun May 15, 2016 20:07

My wife's been recently been getting into her gardening and for our wedding anniversary I'm going to get her a plant of some sort. It'll be a fruit bush or tree so I can use the fruit in a drink of some sort. We have elderflower, apple, blackcurrant, sloe and blackberry close to hand so it's going to be something else.

Any ideas? She likes blueberries and they grow ok in this part of the world allegedly so that'll probably be one. Also I was thinking a damson tree? I've heard raspberries are hard to grow and strawberries don't have enough flavour when brewing for me.

Do you have an annual recipe of a fruit based drink that you make?

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Re: What to grow

Postby robwalker » Sun May 15, 2016 20:48

Gooseberries are great. A tayberry may be worth a look, cross between a raspberry and blackberry and they taste awesome.

What about some less convential herbs too? We've got lemon balm and peppermint which are great for cooking and teas. I plan to make a Grisette with the lemon balm this year.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby Bad 'Ed » Sun May 15, 2016 21:37

I can't even remember what gooseberries taste like. The remind me of my dad - he used to love them; might be a good shout. Are they tart like rhubarb? All I remember is that I didn't like them when I was a child.

Now it sounds like they might make a great liquour...

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Sun May 15, 2016 21:47

Tart and a little sour but very juicy/tropical tasting and a flavour well suited to beer and wine. You can still buy em tinned if you want to try them again!
robwalker
Brewer

Postby gregles » Sun May 15, 2016 22:21

Raspberries are not difficult in my experience and take very little looking after. We have blackcurrants and rasps which make a lovely wine when mixed with some wild brambles.
gregles
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Sun May 15, 2016 23:26

As said raspberries are easy, I've had blueberries for the last two seasons but managed to kill them. Strawberry are good, you just need an awful lot!

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink