Prohibition Coffee Rum

Trying to get the maximum from your yeast, this is the place to discuss it. Talk about the concentration of alcohol by any means will be removed

Re: Prohibition Coffee Rum

Postby ericmark » Thu Nov 19, 2015 04:22

Having been very satisfied with the Orange I tried the Coffee Rum (Tia Maria)is expensive so a little work to produce 6 bottles to me was well worth while. Most wines don’t come out at 21% ABV.

The Coffee Rum I tried to split into two batches, one using sugar replacement in the final stage so my wife who is diabetic could drink it. That was a failure, it really does need all the sugar the instructions say.

The method is completely different to most wines. What you do is make the alcohol then remove any off tastes, then add the taste you want.

So start is 1600 grams of sugar some yeast nutrient and yeast topped up to 4.7 litres (I found my demijohns vary in size and only some are big enough.) and leave for three weeks. There are warnings on how important temperature is says 18ºC to 22ºC then says from 20ºC to 25ºC there is a gradual reduction in the overall alcohol produced with final gravities ranging from 0.980 through to approximately 0.992. However, above 25ºC there is a profound reduction in the performance of the yeast, for example at 27ºC the final gravity is likely to be 1.005 - 1.020. Again it was a cross my fingers I really did not have much control.

It says end of fermentation remove sediment, lucky I have enough demijohns to have a clean one ready.

Then Kieselsol and swirl then wait another day.

Then add Chitosan and swirl and wait another 3 days in a cool place.

Then siphon into clean container to remove all the charcoal and add more Chitosan if not clear and swirl then leave in a cool place for about a week.

Again transfer into clean container then add flavour and more sugar. It suggests you may want to add Glycerol. At this point it is ready to drink, it does not need to be bottled and kept.

The instructions are very good. Not a fast or simple process. But results well worth while.
ericmark
Brewer