Prohibition Gin

Trying to get the maximum from your yeast, this is the place to discuss it. Talk about the concentration of alcohol by any means will be removed

Prohibition Gin

Postby BIGJIM72 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:41

After a rather poor result with the Alcotec 24 I thought I would try again-but with a kit this time. Got this going in a 5lt water bottle as opposed to a DJ for a bit more headspace. Still fermenting vigorously after a week. I only had golden caster sugar in the house to use-so the colour maybe a little different than just using brewers sugar or white. Looks as unappealing as the previous wash did-but I am hoping that the liquid carbon & flavourings may yield a better end product.We shall see.

Link to instructions

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Prohibition%20instructions.pdf

I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Brewing,baking & grilling up a storm in South London
BIGJIM72
Brewer

Re: Prohibition Gin

Postby abeyptfc » Sat Oct 03, 2015 16:04

I brewed this for my Mum, the wash was really cloudy but the carbon and finings you add does make it crystal clear. I think the gin tasted ok aswell, can't remember what % it got to though.
abeyptfc
Brewer

Postby BIGJIM72 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 23:57

Well-the carbon has gone in & is having a regular shake. Rather than looking like old mop water it now resembles a bottle of Indian ink.Starting to show a bit more promise than I was expecting. Had a little taste of the remains after syphoning & it wasn't repulsive-a vast improvement on last time out.

BIGJIM72
Brewer

Postby BIGJIM72 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 01:52

VERDICT-well it cleans up nice,but it still has the same odd twang as my previous attempt. Its not unpleasant,but don't think I will bother again.

BIGJIM72
Brewer

Postby ericmark » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:38

Sorry to hear not to your taste. I have done two others in the range and was impressed. However they both had more sugar added in the final stage which may hide that "odd twang". I will admit I look at the cost of the box and wonder where my money has gone as unlike other kits all the alcohol seems to come direct from the sugar.

For a beer kit I look at the treacle like concentrate and feel I am getting value for money. OK still 50% sugar but I think about the space required to brew from grain and feel worth the money not to require that stage.

What I wonder is what is in the Yeast Nutrient? I am tempted to try making the raw alcohol and try to make my own liqueurs.
ericmark
Brewer