Flavouring Alcotec

Trying to get the maximum from your yeast, this is the place to discuss it. Talk about the concentration of alcohol by any means will be removed

Flavouring Alcotec

Postby devsmak » Mon Oct 20, 2014 18:17

Back in the summer I made a batch of Alcotec 24.

After mixing with coke, soda stream syrups, high fruit cordials, and after making a sweet but pleasant coffee liqueur I'm running out of ideas.

I have some plum infused brew awaiting a tasting and then an amaretto recipe to try.

What next?

Any recommends gratefully accepted? :hat:
devsmak
Brewer

Re: Flavouring Alcotec

Postby bobsbeer » Mon Oct 20, 2014 20:28

Welcome. :cheers:
bobsbeer
Brewer

Postby Moley » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:59

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

As I have just posted elsewhere, I have just started off a bucketful of sugar wash to subsidise my student daughter's newly acquired drinking habit. However, I will be going down the same route as yourself and flavouring it with fruit syrups. I will probably also be buying a big bag of Skittles, separating the colours and dissolving a handful of each in wine bottles of base brew.

There are spirit and liqueur flavourings which are commercially available for the home brewer (try a web search for Prestige or StillSmart Essences) but these are usually intended for mixing with a bottle of cheap vodka to produce quite acceptable imitations for named brands and could work out quite expensive if you were only mixing them with a 15-20% abv fermented wash. It might be worth experimenting if you had a local homebrew shop which stocked them and didn't also have to incur postage costs.
Moley

Postby devsmak » Tue Oct 21, 2014 18:53

Thanks for the tip on the skittles, definatley worth a punt.

I might also invest in essences when next in the local homebrew shop
devsmak
Brewer

Postby graysalchemy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 20:42

I do remeber someone posting on TOPOS about skittles and how they lose their colour and go a Sh*tty brown colour, might not be appealing to the youf's of today. :whistle:

I just turfed out a box of a couple of hundred essenseces that i was given. Had no use for them and couldn't contemplait the thought of putting them on ebay and having to pack them all up :evil: :evil: so they ended up in the bin.

graysalchemy

Postby GrowlingDog » Tue Oct 21, 2014 21:05

I think the brown skittles happens if you mix the colours. As long as you sort them by colour they work, well they do in Vodka anyway:). Skittles vodka is excellent.
GrowlingDog
Admin

Postby Sone » Tue Oct 21, 2014 21:07

I believe it's the green skittles which cause the colour to go brown so make sure they aren't included. I've done skittles vodka before and omitted green & purple and had no issues with colour. Pretty sure I used the purples on their own and ate the green ones :D
Sone
Brewer