Lazy Apple and Blueberry Cider

Made a great wine or cider post the recipe here, want critique of a recipe, post it here

Lazy Apple and Blueberry Cider

Postby jkp » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:04

Name: Lazy Apple and Blueberry Cider
Batch Size: 1 Gallon
OG: 1.053 (Approx)
FG: 1.000 (Approx)
ABV: 6~7%

Ingredients

4L of Pressed Apple Juice, sugar content ~116g/L (This can be substituted with store bought AJ)
500ml bottle of Ikea Blueberry Syrup, sugar content ~365g/L (Use 250ml for 6% abv or all 500ml for 7% abv, I used all 500ml)
1/8 tsp Pectolase (If using store bought AJ this can be omitted)
1/8 tsp Yeast Nutrient
1/8 tsp US-05 (This is what I had available at the time, any yeast is fine: S-04, Notty, Cote de Blanc, MJ Cider, Old Rosie etc.)

Method

Mix the AJ and Blueberry syrup with the pectolase and Yeast Nutrient in a one gallon DJ. Give it a good shake and pitch rehydrated yeast. I fermented it for about a month or until completely clear and then bottle.

At bottling I primed with 8g/L of sugar and back-sweetened with 3 tbsp each of Xylitol and Maltodextrin. This gives a medium-dry cider. You can vary the amount of priming sugar and back-sweetening to suit your own taste of course.

Notes

If you don't like the idea of adding sweeteners (I'm trying to move away from this) then you can either stop the fermentation with chemicals and then back-sweeten with juice and bottle(still) or keg(fizzy), OR back-sweeten with more syrup and use the stove-top pasteurization method once the cider is carbonated to your desired degree. I now prefer the latter method.

At ~7% abv it might be a little strong for some, in which case simply cut back on the Blueberry syrup; for example 4.25L AJ + 250ml Syrup will give you ~6% abv, reducing the syrup to 100ml will give you ~5.5% abv, but obviously a much weaker Blueberry flavour.

Of course if you can get some 100% pure Blueberry juice or juice some yourself rather than using the Ikea syrup(which is about 50% Blueberries with added sugar) then the sugar content will be that much lower, hence the abv will be lower too, perhaps 5~6% without reducing the flavour. But after all this is a "Lazy" recipe so I went with the syrup!

The final cider will be quite red, which I know isn't for everyone! if you prefer a cider with just a hint of Blueberry and more of an orange/amber colour, then just reduce the syrup. Easy!

I didn't include any tannin or strong tea as is typical for a turbo cider. You may like to add this, for example 1/2-1tsp of grape tannin for the gallon batch.

I made this cider 11 months ago. After only a few weeks in the bottle I took my first taste. It was just OK, the Blueberry flavour was a little weak. I then forgot about it until recently and decided it was time to give it another go. Now 11 months old it is actually rather good :drink: It's got a nice red colour, good aroma of blueberries and nice strong flavour too. It's not thin or watery like some TC can be. While not bone dry it still has a nice sharpness to the finish and a balance that is prefect for my taste. It has definitely improved out of sight over the past 11 months!

Last edited by jkp on Fri Nov 06, 2015 07:01, edited 1 time in total.

jkp
Brewer

Re: Lazy Apple and Blueberry Cider

Postby MrBoy » Tue Nov 03, 2015 16:20

Sounds very similar to something I want to try making, as an alternative to a fruit cider kit - I reckon I can do it cheaper than a kit using non-concentrated juice!

My wife has forbidden me to use xylitol though. I think I'm going to experiment with pasteurisation because finding a non-fermentable sweetener which does add a bad taste or have potential health issues is proving tricky, and the wife likes sweeter fruit ciders (Loppaberg, Old Mout, et al) which I think would require rather a lot.
MrBoy
Brewer

Postby jkp » Wed Nov 04, 2015 05:55

If you want to do the stove-top pasteurization method then you could try the following for a sweeter version.

At the beginning only add 250ml of the Blueberry syrup to the 4L of AJ and ferment as usual. Once it's finished and cleared transfer to a bottling bucket adding the other 250ml of syrup, mix and bottle as usual. One bottle will need to be a PET so that you can keep track of the carbonation level. Once the PET is hard then use the stove-top method to pasteurize all the glass bottles. (Be sure to read up carefully about this method as there is a small risk of exploding bottles if you do it wrong!)

Splitting it 250ml/250ml for the ferment/back-sweetening should give you a SG of about 1.005-1.008 in the final cider. Or 200ml/300ml with give an SG of about 1.008-1.010 which is going to be sweet, 100ml/400ml will give about 1.010-1.013 etc. I'd suggest trying a 1 gallon batch first to get the balance right before making a big batch. And remember it will need some time to age, although I'd imagine a sweeter version will be good to drink sooner.

jkp
Brewer

Postby MrBoy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 15:04

Ta, that sounds great - I assume fermentation knocks out some of the fruit flavour (it sure knocks the honey flavour out of honey) so using the fruit as a sweetener is a nice idea.

I actually wonder if you could just make a regular TC and only use the syrup for post-flavour. I'd be interested how the mass-market ones do it... if they make a fruit cider and sweeten, or just flavour their cider after killing it and then force-carb (obviously they force carb, it's when they add the fruit flavour I wonder about).
MrBoy
Brewer