Blackberry Wine Recipe Needed

Made a great wine or cider post the recipe here, want critique of a recipe, post it here

Blackberry Wine Recipe Needed

Postby Aleman » Sat Jun 20, 2015 14:34

Ok so I have around 5 kilos of blackberries in the freezer . . . A 6 bottle Merlot kit and 4 kilos of sugar. . . I want to make around 3 gallons of a 10 to 11% wine in a nuveau style. . . So light and crisp easy drinking fruity red.

Unfortunately I've given my recipe books away. So let's have some ideas please . . . Can always go bigger volume wise to use all the fruit.

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Re: Blackberry Wine Recipe Needed

Postby robwalker » Sat Jun 20, 2015 19:00

I can only help with a fruit heavy "port" blackberry wine, not sure if it would help you. Either way, you need to go quite heavy on the blackberries compared to other fruits.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby BIGJIM72 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 19:10

I have often used Jonny69's recipe from TOPOS & found that to be very nice

I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Brewing,baking & grilling up a storm in South London
BIGJIM72
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Sat Jun 20, 2015 22:04

I think I do about 2kg berries per gallon, but lost a lot fo info in computer crash, so wild guess: it looks about right to just use what you listed for 3 gallons. Plus maybe hlaf a pack of blackcurrant teabags or quarter to half a pound of real ones (some blackcurrant always helps) and a bit of extra tannin. Do some sugar calcs on the back of an old envelope...
oldbloke

Postby Aleman » Sat Jun 20, 2015 22:33

Thought the sugar was a bit high

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Sat Jun 20, 2015 22:36

Depends. What's in the 6 bottle kit? You want about 2.97kg total for 11%
oldbloke

Postby Aleman » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:10

oldbloke wrote:Depends. What's in the 6 bottle kit? You want about 2.97kg total for 11%

Its a Beaverdale Merlot Kit. I'm not a fan of using supermarket fruit juices, so decided to get some red grape juice concentrate to boost the colour and provide some vinosity . . .Then I saw the Price :shock: . . . That despairing cry of the Yorkshire man echoed around the LHBS . . . .OW MOOOOCH!!! . . . . Then I spotted the Kit tucked away on special offer and it was a no brainer.

I'm going to assume that it will make 6 Bottles of 12% . . . I suppose I could always use the refractometer and measure it although that does seem radical :lol:

According to Moleys Excellent and most informative post >>>> Here <<<< Blackberries yield 7% of their weight as sugar, so 5Kg of Berries should yield 350g of sugar (Seems Low)

Still trying to work out how much sugar to add :scratch: :scratch: I guess once I've Measured the Juices I'll have a better idea.

I would have thought there were a good number of blackberry recipes out there though.

Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:35

Ok so let's say the kit gives you 12% in one gallon, if you do 3 gallons you need the sugar for the extra 2.
2kg near enough. Minus 350g for the berries, whack in 1650g of sugar.
After racking&topping up losses it should be very close to 11%
oldbloke