Supermarket Juice Wine Recipes and Wurzels Orange Wine WOW

Made a great wine or cider post the recipe here, want critique of a recipe, post it here

Re: Supermarket Juice Wine Recipes and Wurzels Orange Wine

Postby Gunnar » Wed Apr 30, 2014 21:16

Chippy_Tea wrote:Not sure how it will turn out as I have read using just white grape juice does not make a nice wine, better to put equal amounts of grape juice and another juice together, let us know how your just red grape juice turns out.

I've just racked this, and the sample I tried was actually really nice. Retained a very dark colour too.
Gunnar
Brewer

Postby jkp » Thu May 01, 2014 09:21

Chippy_Tea wrote:
jkp wrote:It's in our coolest room(north facing) but it is still a steady 20 degrees in there, so I don't think it's going to be particularly cold, plus the activity suggests it is doing ok. Yes I did use nutrient. I'm not worried about the fermentation or having to wait for it, just concerned that sitting on the lees for such a long time will be bad.

Which yeast do you use?

It was Gervin GV1 Universal Wine Yeast. I racked it yesterday onto some k-meta, so it's off the lees now.
jkp
Brewer

Postby tim_n » Sun May 11, 2014 20:47

First go at this on the way.

Tim

http://www.waark.com - My forays into homebrewing & grow your own
tim_n
Brewer

Postby Gunnar » Wed May 14, 2014 13:39

I have had a very nice result from using nothing but red grape juice, I wanted to share my experience in case anyone was wondering if this would work. I used a brand named Stute and the wine came out a dark red, with a full bodied taste.
Gunnar
Brewer

Postby Chippy_Tea » Wed May 14, 2014 15:56

I have always mixed RGJ with apple as i have read using just grape juice does not work out well, looks like i may give it a try as i can only get RGJ at the moment, what happened to WGJ as there seems to be a shortage?

Supermarket Juice Wine Recipes and Wurzels Orange Wine (WOW) here - viewtopic.php?f=19&t=57
Chippy_Tea
Brewer

Postby jkp » Wed May 14, 2014 17:08

Gunnar wrote:I have had a very nice result from using nothing but red grape juice, I wanted to share my experience in case anyone was wondering if this would work. I used a brand named Stute and the wine came out a dark red, with a full bodied taste.

Have you got a pic to show just how dark it is? Sounds interesting.
jkp
Brewer

Postby Gunnar » Wed May 14, 2014 17:13

Sure thing when I get home I'll post a pic.

Gunnar
Brewer

Postby jkp » Tue May 20, 2014 18:24

That looks rather good!

I had my first glass of WOW (RGJ+AJ) and I have to say that on the whole I was pretty impressed. Last year I tried a home made wine (friend of a friend) and it wasn't good, the taste was first fruit and once that had passed an alcohol burn, not harsh but the flavour separation wan't pleasant (what causes that effect?). Anyway, no such problem with the wow I'm happy to say. The only negative was that it was maybe a little on the sweet side, perhaps the glycerol I added caused that?
jkp
Brewer

Postby Chippy_Tea » Tue May 20, 2014 18:28

If you like RGJ+AJ give something like Cranberry or Pomegranate and RGJ or WGJ a try both are excellent.

You may need to double the cranberry or Pomegranate as they are unlikely to be 100% juice :thumb:

Supermarket Juice Wine Recipes and Wurzels Orange Wine (WOW) here - viewtopic.php?f=19&t=57
Chippy_Tea
Brewer

Postby jkp » Tue May 20, 2014 18:39

I might just do that. I was thinking of a wgj+aj wow with the sugar replaced by elderflower cordial, but I've not got the wgj and I'm not sure rgj would work quite as well. The all rgj looks nice too, a nice deep colour. So many to try.

I also need to remember to get some new corks or even better, screw tops. The corks I've got are a pita, they just didn't want to go in! On the plus side It made for a good upper body workout ;)
jkp
Brewer

Postby Chippy_Tea » Tue May 20, 2014 18:57

I also need to remember to get some new corks or even better, screw tops. The corks I've got are a pita, they just didn't want to go in!

Bob sells (or used to) Novatwist - 30mm Wine bottle screw caps.

If you are looking for a replacement wine bottle screw cap, then Novatwist is exactly what you need. Novatwist is an innovative product, which enables you to re-use screw-cap wine bottles, with a 30mm diameter (i.e. will fit most wine bottles). The cap has two parts, the cap and a tamper-evident shroud. Novatwist can be applied by hand (simply push down as hard as you can, then twist to tighten) and give your wine bottles a professional finish.
How to use Novatwist:
The caps are designed to fit 30mm diameter, screw-top wine bottles. They may not fit other bottles, such as spirit bottles or juice/cordial bottles. Novatwist work best on bottles which have at least two rows of threads. If your bottle only has a single row of thread, then the cap may not work as expected. To fit the cap, push down hard until you hear a click, then hand-tighten. Do not over-tighten as the cap may then jump off the threads and may need to be replaced. Bottles fitted with Novatwist do not need to be stored on their sides.

Chippy_Tea
Brewer

Postby Chippy_Tea » Tue May 20, 2014 18:58

jkp wrote:I might just do that.

Pomegranate wine.

2 litre Pomegranate juice. (i used 2 litres as they were less than 50% juice)

1 litre White Grape Juice (WGJ)

700g Sugar.

1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of strong black tea.

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super wine yeast compound)

1 tsp Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerene.

Chippy_Tea
Brewer

Postby Chippy_Tea » Fri May 23, 2014 17:31

The great WGJ shortage continues.

My wife has been to Aldi today and they only had WGJ/peach, its only 31% grape 10% peach per litre.

I am going to make 2 DJ's with 2 litres of the WGJ/Peach per DJ and add half a litre of RGJ and half a litre of Apple juice.

800g of sugar should bring it close to the desired total of 1100g

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of strong black tea. (4 bags stirred several times over a 15 minutes period)

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super wine yeast compound)

1 tsp Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerene

Chippy_Tea
Brewer

Postby gassman » Thu May 29, 2014 00:28

Hey Chippy

That Pomegranate is bloody well spot on.

Started it around the 1st April been bottled a bit now

Tasted it when first bottled didnt think much but just had a glass and no shudder like the orange wine gives you with the first sip

I also reckon its the best one up to now

FV1:Coopers Bitter, FV2:Pomegranate Wine, FV3:Apple and Raspberry Wine
Conditioning:Coopers Bitter, Coopers Stout
Drinking:Corny1: Coopers Bitter, Corny2:Soda Water, Corny3:Ginger Beer
Drinking Bottled:Coopers Stout, Cooper Bitter and copious amounts of supermarket juice wines
gassman
Brewer

Postby Chippy_Tea » Thu May 29, 2014 02:36

Glad you like it, I haven't made one of those in a while, I cannot get hold of WGJ so have been making RGJ and apple juice which turns out really well.

Chippy_Tea
Brewer

Postby gassman » Fri May 30, 2014 22:47

Go sign onto Asda on internet and there is tons of it and on offer at 4 litres for £3 and then get it delivered to your door

FV1:Coopers Bitter, FV2:Pomegranate Wine, FV3:Apple and Raspberry Wine
Conditioning:Coopers Bitter, Coopers Stout
Drinking:Corny1: Coopers Bitter, Corny2:Soda Water, Corny3:Ginger Beer
Drinking Bottled:Coopers Stout, Cooper Bitter and copious amounts of supermarket juice wines
gassman
Brewer

Postby Gunnar » Sat May 31, 2014 07:07

I get Tesco delivery, my local store is a little understocked.
Gunnar
Brewer

Postby Chippy_Tea » Sat May 31, 2014 11:41

gassman wrote:Go sign onto Asda on internet and there is tons of it and on offer at 4 litres for £3 and then get it delivered to your door

We do our monthly shop at Tesco so thought your suggestion would make the juice expensive with the delivery charge on top, i have just been on the Asda site and their delivery charges are as low as £1 at certain times of the day, 4 litres of juice delivered for £4 is a steal.

Chippy_Tea
Brewer

Postby Chippy_Tea » Sat Jun 14, 2014 15:47

Mrs Tea turned up with two litres of RGJ and two of Apple juice, i have just had a busy half hour :thumb:

Last edited by Chippy_Tea on Sun Jun 22, 2014 17:15, edited 1 time in total.

Chippy_Tea
Brewer

Postby amuseboucheUK » Sun Jun 22, 2014 16:34

Just made my 1st ever WOW

1l Asda Smooth from concentrate OJ
1l Asda RGJ NFC
700g Sugar
1 Mug Storng Black Tea
1tsp Pecotlase
1tsp Yeast Vit
1tsp Glycerine
1 Pack Wilco Gervin Yeast

OG 1060

Never made it before ... guess I'll end up with a rose?
amuseboucheUK
Brewer

Postby Chippy_Tea » Sun Jun 22, 2014 17:38

1l Asda Smooth from concentrate OJ
1l Asda RGJ NFC

The original Wurzels orange wine (WOW) is made from a litre of white grape juice and a litre of orange juice, as i said in the first post in this thread its not to everyones taste (a bit like Marmite) i was not really keen but enjoyed it as my first attempt, i don't know what a RGJ and orange will turn out like but if its awful don't let it put you off, there are many recipes in this thread to try and many with comments, at the moment i am regularly making 1 litre of RGJ and 1 litre of apple juice which turns out a lot better then the ingredients would suggest.

Other popular ones are pomegranate, cranberry or raspberry with either RGJ or WGJ.

Chippy_Tea
Brewer

Postby Moley » Sun Jun 22, 2014 18:05

There's very little difference between a white or red grape juice & orange WOW, apart from the colour.

Sugar content seems a bit low, are you making in a gallon glass DJ or a 5 litre water bottle?
Moley

Postby Chippy_Tea » Sun Jun 22, 2014 18:29

Moley wrote:
Sugar content seems a bit low, are you making in a gallon glass DJ or a 5 litre water bottle?

I do hope amuseboucheUK left plenty of space at the top and the low figure is not because its a full 5 litre, we all know how vigorous fermenting with anything orange can be.

Chippy_Tea
Brewer

Postby amuseboucheUK » Sun Jun 22, 2014 20:29

Yes ... I think the sugar content IS low ... I was basing it on the first WOW recipe I saw that was 700g sugar ... this may make a lightweight wine suitable for the kids!?

With OJ & RGJ how much would be the optimum sugar to be added?

I'm using Gallon DJs and the mix (with 1l water to dissolve sugar comes up to the shoulder ... but it's in a bund box)

I have enough to make another batch this evening :-)
amuseboucheUK
Brewer

Postby Chippy_Tea » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:44

Look at the sugar content of the cartons and add them together, bear in mind it will give a figure that is for 100ml so you need to multiply by 10.
Subtract this number from 1100 and you will then know how much sugar you need to add for the total of 1100g in the DJ, this will give you around 13% ABV.

Chippy_Tea
Brewer

PreviousNext