Supermarket Juice Wine Recipes and Wurzels Orange Wine WOW

Made a great wine or cider post the recipe here, want critique of a recipe, post it here

Re: Supermarket Juice Wine Recipes and Wurzels Orange Wine

Postby Moley » Sun Oct 05, 2014 04:15

Sorry Squiffy, but nail polish remover and pear drops are usually signs of impatience and these tones should fade away.

It is usually claimed that WOW-type juice wines are drinkable young, and I would agree with that (relative to country wines), but mine still get a minimum of 4-6 months before bottling.

And to HB, as Raptor says, sherry tones sound like oxidation. DJs left for maturation need to be topped up to the base of the neck and airlocks checked from time to time to ensure that they don't dry up.
Moley

Postby Squiffy » Sun Oct 05, 2014 09:05

Do they improve in a better way matured in a demijohn rather than bottled? I have bottled mine at two to three months! The ones I'm struggling with were started in June, is there hope for them to improve in the bottle?
Squiffy
Brewer

Postby Moley » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:27

It is usually better to allow wines to mature in bulk because the larger volume is less susceptible to temperature fluctuations. These should continue to improve in the bottle, but if you've already left them for 2-3 months I would like to retract what I said about impatience and investigate further.

Have you allowed these wines to ferment out completely, then stabilised and possibly back-sweetened, or have you tried to stop them at a desired gravity?
Moley

Postby bobsbeer » Sun Oct 05, 2014 15:21

Sounds like ethyl acetate to me, which is bacterial. Did you add campden when you stabilised? That kills them.
bobsbeer
Brewer

Postby Squiffy » Sun Oct 05, 2014 20:05

They were stabilised and back sweetened and I used camp den tablet when I racked!
Squiffy
Brewer

Previous