Sloe Wine

Made a great wine or cider post the recipe here, want critique of a recipe, post it here

Sloe Wine

Postby divingdavey » Thu Oct 16, 2014 16:51

Does anyone have a recipe for Sloe wine, and if so any idea if it's nice (or drinkable)? I've managed to get loads of Sloes over the past few days and have some Sloe Gin on the go but Gin is expensive so I'm not sure I want to put another bottle on.

I have some Eldeberries in the freezer so am considering maybe mixing them up and using Krazypara's recipie for Royal Elderberry Wine if there's no good results to be had from Sloe's on their own.

Cheers! :cheers:
divingdavey
Brewer

Re: Sloe Wine

Postby oldbloke » Thu Oct 16, 2014 18:00

Somebody was here saying how good it was recently, maybe a search for 'sloe' would find it.
I accidentally put some in a mixed berry wine instead of some of the blackcurrants recently, and when I racked it it was very bitter. Hopefully that'll fade...
oldbloke

Postby robwalker » Thu Oct 16, 2014 18:04

I'm doing an elderberry and sloe wine when I can be arsed to get the ingredients out of the freezer. It will definitely be an ager - I reckon you would do well to make a slightly sweeter wine with a less sharp ingredient blended in, banana maybe.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby divingdavey » Thu Oct 16, 2014 18:17

Thanks both - I've since found a post on another site where Sloe Wine is said to be lovely and not need much ageing. I think I can very easily get another couple of K's this weekend so maybe I'll experiment with a straight Sloe wine and a mixer with Elders

:notworthy:
divingdavey
Brewer

Postby divingdavey » Mon Dec 29, 2014 19:59

I took a SG reading of my Sloe wine today and it has finished fermeting..... So I had a taste, it's quite sour and sharp so I'm going to sweeten it to medium before bottling and leaving alone for a good long while.

Fingers crossed this will improve with age :)
divingdavey
Brewer

Postby divingdavey » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:58

This still looks like purple paint, I did use Kwik Clear finings when I stablised etc at the end of last year. Anyone got any ideas on how to clear it except from keeping it cold and trying some more finings?

Cheers!
divingdavey
Brewer

Postby duncs » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:46

Did you add any pectolase to break down the pectin? If not, it may never clear, Add 2 teaspoons per gallon if adding it after fermentation.

Ego bibo ergo sum
duncs
Brewer

Postby divingdavey » Tue Feb 10, 2015 16:14

Yup I added pectolase but I guess if I'm adding another dose of finings I could also add some more.... :thumb:
divingdavey
Brewer

Postby shroomy » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:49

If you do get a grwat crop of sloes around you then make the sloe gin and wine etc but when finished strain the sloes of and make a run of wine of them its the best wine I have ever tasted alas nour sloes were very poor last year
shroomy
Brewer