Blackberry wine?

Made a great wine or cider post the recipe here, want critique of a recipe, post it here

Re: Blackberry wine?

Postby oldbloke » Sat Aug 30, 2014 20:57

Jimmy321 wrote:I'm going to have my first go at making wine, I have 5kg of blackberries I washed them in water then put them in bags in the freezer. Up thread I note they should be washed with the inclusion of a campden tablet, I assume there will be no problem defrosting them and adding the campden tablet then.

That's what I've always done, coz my wash is more of a quick submerge and rinse than a proper wash.
But Campden in with the initial wash does make sense so I may in future
oldbloke

Postby Kermie » Tue Sep 02, 2014 07:09

Drained the Blackberry sludge through a straining bag and sieve last night into a 5L PET bottle. The kitchen looked like a scene from CSI when we finished. Added the sugar dissolved in water and left it under airlock to continue fermenting. It is bubbling gently this morning. I will top up in a few days so as not to decorate my bathroom with blackberry juice! It is going to be hard to leave it for 6 months once bottled though. At the moment all the effort of using real fruit v a juice wine is not winning.
Kermie
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:20

Ive picked up over 2kg blackberries and another 300g or so of mixed sloes and elderberries. Its a great year for blackberries!

I'll be making a heavy port style wine with them. The way i see it Kermie, theres a few nice things about using hand picked fruit -

- The product is undoubtebly superior
- Its good fun to make in smaller amounts
- Its practically free
- The whole thing is a wonderful return to a simpler life for a few hours.

Might just be me, but i find making wine this way very good for the soul.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby Kermie » Tue Sep 02, 2014 13:34

Time will tell...if I can wait six months after the bottling before drinking. I will just have to make loads more wines in the meantime to keep me going! :drink:
Kermie
Brewer

Previous