Blackberry wine?

Made a great wine or cider post the recipe here, want critique of a recipe, post it here

Blackberry wine?

Postby BrewWoo » Mon Aug 18, 2014 19:19

My partner has just given me a kilo of blackberries, and rather than make a cake or pudding with them I want to make a wine.

Anyone have a recipe?
BrewWoo
Brewer

Re: Blackberry wine?

Postby BIGJIM72 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 00:22

I am quite fond of Jonny69's recipe on the old site-but Oldbloke or Moley may have a better one here.

I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Brewing,baking & grilling up a storm in South London
BIGJIM72
Brewer

Postby Moley » Tue Aug 19, 2014 07:54

For now, crush a couple of Campden tablets into a bowl full of cold water and wash the berries, drain them well and then freeze them.

1kg isn't enough, wait until you've got more or until the elderberries are ready.
Moley

Postby oldbloke » Tue Aug 19, 2014 09:38

1kg could be enough if he had another kg of other berries to mix in. The more mixed the better in my (limited) experience. Definitely a few ounces of blackcurrants, if avaialble, or raisins if not, for wine-ness
oldbloke

Postby Aleman » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:48

For blackberry I normally go for 3 to 3 1/2 lbs per gallon, with 8-10fl oz of red grape concentrate, and sugar to get to 1.085 (12%)

You can go for a slightly lighter bodied wine with your Kilo, but drop the sugar down to hit about 10%

I tend to agree with OB as well, a plain blackberry wine tends to turn dingy brown after about 9 months (It's enzymic oxidation, and blackberries contain the enzyme :roll: ) Using other red berries helps it not turn brown so quickly . . . The light version of the wine, is nicely drinkable at 6 months though ;)

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby BrewWoo » Tue Aug 19, 2014 14:10

I've just finished this now, just waiting to pitch the yeast. Used 1.5kg and a kilo of sugar.
BrewWoo
Brewer

Postby Kermie » Tue Aug 19, 2014 14:41

I've got 1.5k of blackberries, can I use some red grape juice instead of some some of the water? I will wash and freeze tonight. Should I get another 500G of rapsberries to chuck in as well (to make a gallon)?
Kermie
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 14:46

I have around 100g of blueberries and around 50g of redcurrants from the garden. anyone know if it would be worthwhile chucking them in too?

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby robwalker » Tue Aug 19, 2014 16:45

Extra fruit is always fine man, only gonna add complexity.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby BrewWoo » Tue Aug 19, 2014 16:54

How long do you usually ferment on the pulp?
BrewWoo
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Tue Aug 19, 2014 17:35

depends on the wine My personal preference is no more than 3 days for 'whites' no more than 5 days for reds . . . although with reds it's more until the depth of colour you want has been achieved.

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Tue Aug 19, 2014 17:37

Kermie wrote:I've got 1.5k of blackberries, can I use some red grape juice instead of some some of the water? I will wash and freeze tonight. Should I get another 500G of rapsberries to chuck in as well (to make a gallon)?

Sounds good. I get masses of rassies here so most berry wines have at least half a kilo in!
oldbloke

Postby oldbloke » Tue Aug 19, 2014 17:39

krazypara3165 wrote:I have around 100g of blueberries and around 50g of redcurrants from the garden. anyone know if it would be worthwhile chucking them in too?

Yeh, it'll add a few extras to the flavour profile and they aren't enough to do owt with on their own.
My redcurrants have been a bit quiet this year, usually get enough to do a couple of gallons of predominantly redcurrant with a bit of rass filler and some blackcurrant s to top it off
oldbloke

Postby Moley » Tue Aug 19, 2014 17:55

Kermie wrote:I've got 1.5k of blackberries, can I use some red grape juice instead of some some of the water? I will wash and freeze tonight. Should I get another 500G of rapsberries to chuck in as well (to make a gallon)?

Red grape juice is an excellent addition, just remember to take its sugar content into account.

I would go for 1kg of blackberries, 500g of raspberries and 1-2 litres of RGJ, and ferment on the pulp for 5 days.
Moley

Postby Kermie » Wed Aug 20, 2014 06:49

Fruit has been washed and is now in the freezer. So, in a few days I put it in a bucket with some sugar and the RGJ. Do I add my pectolase, yeast, nutrient at this stage? Do I need to put it under airlock or just lay the bucket lid on top but not seal? Do I need to stir it or just leave it for five days? Then do I drain it into a DJ and add tannin and top up with water and leave to continue fermenting. Would I need to add more yeast?
Sorry for all the questions but I am new to this type of wine making and usually use kits or juices. All help and advice is much appreciated! :scratch:
Kermie
Brewer

Postby Moley » Wed Aug 20, 2014 08:01

When you're ready, get the fruit out and leave for a few hours to defrost.

Put it into your bucket and cover with boiling water, give it a good stir and start to mash the berries. Add your RGJ and some of your sugar, let's say 250g. When it has cooled sufficiently, add your pectolase, yeast and nutrient. You shouldn't need tannin. Fit the lid. If it forms an effective seal, just crack the rim ever so slightly. If it is drilled for an airlock, fit one.

Stir 2-3 times a day for the next 5 days, then I'll walk you through the next stage.
Moley

Postby Kermie » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:36

Cheers Moley, I will start on Sunday. :hat:
Kermie
Brewer

Postby BrewWoo » Fri Aug 22, 2014 21:31

BrewWoo
Brewer

Postby Moley » Sat Aug 23, 2014 08:09

Strange looking bucket :scratch:
Moley

Postby BrewWoo » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:40

No need for a bucket for such a small amount of volume.

BrewWoo
Brewer

Postby Moley » Sat Aug 23, 2014 13:13

Looking good :thumb:

And the pics should show Kermie all he needs to know about straining it, so thanks for those.
Moley

Postby hmk877 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 09:05

Moley wrote:When you're ready, get the fruit out and leave for a few hours to defrost.

Put it into your bucket and cover with boiling water, give it a good stir and start to mash the berries. Add your RGJ and some of your sugar, let's say 250g. When it has cooled sufficiently, add your pectolase, yeast and nutrient. You shouldn't need tannin. Fit the lid. If it forms an effective seal, just crack the rim ever so slightly. If it is drilled for an airlock, fit one.

Stir 2-3 times a day for the next 5 days, then I'll walk you through the next stage.

Moley, why only 250g of the sugar at this stage? I'm just about to do some elderberry, and was going to chuck all the sugar in (dissolved). Should it be added in stages? :hat: Thanks.
hmk877
Brewer

Postby Kermie » Wed Aug 27, 2014 06:44

ok, Fruit will be ready to strain on thursday. How much more sugar do I need to add when I strain it into the DJ? Do I need to add anything else apart from water? I used 2 L RGJ and 250g sugar in the bucket.

PS The pics are great BW! :thumb:
cheers
Kermie
Brewer

Postby Jimmy321 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 20:27

I'm going to have my first go at making wine, I have 5kg of blackberries I washed them in water then put them in bags in the freezer. Up thread I note they should be washed with the inclusion of a campden tablet, I assume there will be no problem defrosting them and adding the campden tablet then.
Jimmy321
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Sat Aug 30, 2014 20:45

Like Jimmy, I'm making my first Blackberry wine for many years. 3.1lbs blackberries per gallon, and a Beaverdale Merlot 6 bottle kit to provide 'vinosity'. I'm aiming for 3 gallons, and will probably chuck in the two bottles of Raspberry syrup, as an additional bit of 'fruit' and instead of some tate and lyle :D

Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Next