Hippy juice recipe please

Made a great wine or cider post the recipe here, want critique of a recipe, post it here

Postby Squiffy » Sat Aug 09, 2014 20:29

I am on a roll now and next on my to do list is a tea bag wine.
I am after a good recipe and any hints and tips please.
Squiffy
Brewer

Re: Hippy juice recipe please

Postby oldbloke » Sat Aug 09, 2014 21:59

Fruit teabag wine... AKA Hippy Juice.

Posted elsewhere by Moley, once upon a time. But as it says below, he got it somewhere else originally anyway...

Borrowed from another forum and tweaked:
1 Box (20) Fruit 'Tea Bags'
2 litres Grape Juice
2lbs sugar (or thereabouts)
1tsp Citric Acid
1/2tsp Grape Tannin
GP Yeast & Nutrient
I've used 1 box Twinings Cranberry, Raspberry & Elderflower bags and Sainsbury's 100% Pure Pressed Red Grape Juice (not from concentrate, no preservatives, 3 for £2) but you could use any fruit infusions bags and red or white grape juice as appropriate.
Infuse the bags for 30 minutes in 2 pints boiling water.
Boil 2lbs sugar (or thereabouts) in 1 pint water.
I measured the SG of the grape juice at 1.068 and calculated that 1lb 12ozs sugar would give an OG of 1.110, and have read somewhere that boiling the sugar inverts it and makes it more fermentable.
Wring the bags out as best you can without splitting them and pour infusion liquor and sugar syrup into a bucket, add grape juice, allow to cool, add Citric, Tannin, Nutrient and Yeast and let it rip. After the initial whoosh has subsided, pour into a DJ and make up to 1 gallon.
Dead easy, and I cost that at around £3.50 per gallon or 60p a bottle at around 13% ABV.
oldbloke

Postby Squiffy » Sun Aug 10, 2014 00:11

Thank you will give this a go
Squiffy
Brewer

Postby Capheatonway » Wed Aug 20, 2014 21:48

I'm new to this too. Decided to have a go at this the day after after I started a plum wine- keen and enthusiastic and all that! Followed the recipe posted by Moley and made into a 1gallon DJ. It's now been fermenting in there for about three days now and is still bubbling away quite vigorously. When should I rack it into a second DJ? Then, once racked, how long do I leave it in the secondary DJ and will I need to add anything else to it (such as a stabiliser, or findings)- if I do, at what point would I do this?

Capheatonway
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Wed Aug 20, 2014 22:22

Blimey 3 days is nowt, it's barely got going.
People (who've read certain books...) tend to rack too much.
Give it at least another 2 weeks, then only rack if it's done (unlikely) or there's massive amounts of sediment you want it shifting off
The amount of sugar needed to make wine takes the yeast a while to eat. Few are done in under a month. Some of my fruit wines have taken 4.
oldbloke

Postby Capheatonway » Wed Aug 20, 2014 22:24

Cheers oldbloke. Have read a few books before discovering the forums so you may be right!
Capheatonway
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Wed Aug 20, 2014 22:44

On our previous forum we had occasional threads which included discussions about racking, and we more or less decided you only do it when you have to. Which is (a) loads of sediment to get rid of (b) when it's done (c) maybe again after it's done if it's taking ages to clear
And, also, you only really need to Campden when racking if there's no live yeast to deal with any oxygen you introduce. ie only (b) and (c), and in (b) you'd use potassium sorbate as well to stabilise.

Oh, and maybe (a-) something in the original ingredients you don't want in there for too long. But that's a rarity
oldbloke

Postby Moz » Fri Aug 29, 2014 14:44

oldbloke wrote: pour infusion liquor and sugar syrup into a bucket, add grape juice, allow to cool, add Citric, Tannin, Nutrient and Yeast and let it rip.

This is probably going to be a very dumb question, I'm new to all things home brewing and have got my very first batch of wine from a kit on the go. I quite fancy trying this next but was wondering what size bucket you should use? I purchased a wine making starter kit which included a 30 Litre Bucket with lid, grommet and airlock and a 25 litre fermenter with bung, airlock and cap. Are both of these too big to use for this recipe as I'm sure I read somewhere that too much air left in the bucket can make it more prone to infection :scratch:
Moz
Brewer

Postby Squiffy » Fri Aug 29, 2014 20:57

The 5 litre water bottles you get in the supermarket work well with a hole for your airlock and grommet in the lid, cheaper than a glass demijohn.
Squiffy
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Fri Aug 29, 2014 23:05

Moz wrote:
oldbloke wrote: pour infusion liquor and sugar syrup into a bucket, add grape juice, allow to cool, add Citric, Tannin, Nutrient and Yeast and let it rip.

This is probably going to be a very dumb question, I'm new to all things home brewing and have got my very first batch of wine from a kit on the go. I quite fancy trying this next but was wondering what size bucket you should use? I purchased a wine making starter kit which included a 30 Litre Bucket with lid, grommet and airlock and a 25 litre fermenter with bung, airlock and cap. Are both of these too big to use for this recipe as I'm sure I read somewhere that too much air left in the bucket can make it more prone to infection :scratch:

If you're going to make a gallon, get a gallon (actually 5l, usually) bucket from a homebrew shop, or a 5l water bottle from a supermarket
If you make a gallon in a 30l bin there is a lot of surface area at risk, and while you might get away with it 75% of the time, it is a risk
Or, you could scale up the gallon recipe to 5 gallons....
oldbloke

Postby Moz » Sat Aug 30, 2014 08:38

Thanks chaps 5L water bottle it is :)
Moz
Brewer

Postby Capheatonway » Sat Sep 06, 2014 18:34

So, after following old blokes advice, I waited until it stopped fermenting and racked with added stabiliser and campden. The gallon is currently sitting in a DJ with an airlock. Can I just leave it alone for a couple of months and then bottle? Will I need to degas it or will leaving it in a DJ for a couple of months allow it to degas naturally? In around two months time my plan was to filter it (along with a couple of gallons of plum wine) and bottle then.
Capheatonway
Brewer

Postby LeeH » Sun Sep 07, 2014 20:04

Going to try this very soon.

To monitor my latest fermentation click here Black IPA
To view my new AG build click here
Keg 1: Berliner Weisse
Keg 2: APA
Keg 3: Stout (Nitro)
Keg 4: Empty
LeeH
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Sun Sep 07, 2014 20:28

Capheatonway wrote:So, after following old blokes advice, I waited until it stopped fermenting and racked with added stabiliser and campden. The gallon is currently sitting in a DJ with an airlock. Can I just leave it alone for a couple of months and then bottle? Will I need to degas it or will leaving it in a DJ for a couple of months allow it to degas naturally? In around two months time my plan was to filter it (along with a couple of gallons of plum wine) and bottle then.

Give it a good shake a few times over a week or so, should be a good enough de-gas. CO2 is quite good at staying dissolved so just leaving it won't be as effective. If you Campden at bottling time you can afford to be a bit splashy when you bottle and that gets rid of a lot.
oldbloke

Postby LeeH » Sat Sep 13, 2014 15:03

Do you top up with water to make 5g?

LeeH
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Sat Sep 13, 2014 15:12

LeeH wrote:Do you top up with water to make 5g?

Whatever volume you're making, you generally start with about 3/4 to 4/5 the intended final total, and top up after 4 or 5 days, otherwise it tries to escape.
After any racking I always top up to replace the inevitable losses, and I start with enough sugar that those losses don't drop my final ABV below where I wanted it.
oldbloke

Postby LeeH » Sat Sep 13, 2014 15:31

Thanks.

A also meant to say 1 gallon, I had my beer head on.

LeeH
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Sat Sep 13, 2014 15:37

LeeH wrote:Thanks.

A also meant to say 1 gallon, I had my beer head on.

I thought you probably did, but tried to answer so it worked either way!
oldbloke

Postby LeeH » Sat Sep 13, 2014 15:42

OB, have you every used cider yeast or wine yeast? The little 5g packets?

My multipurpose yeast is real old and not looked after. I have have some of the others in the freezer.

LeeH
Brewer

Postby LeeH » Sat Sep 13, 2014 15:45

It won't even dissolve. Image

LeeH
Brewer

Postby LeeH » Sat Sep 13, 2014 17:00

I've bunged in 5g of rehydrated white and popped it in the FV fridge. It looks an awesome colour.

LeeH
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Sat Sep 13, 2014 21:36

LeeH wrote:OB, have you every used cider yeast or wine yeast? The little 5g packets?

Always. Never used anything else. Usually split a packet across 2 separate gallons.
1 sachet of an ale yeast will do a single 5 gallon fermenter, just. A 7gm sachet would be better. Or making a proper starter.

Young's cider yeast used to be my default for turbocider, but I've tried others, and had good results with Young's general purpose red wine yeast and with Munton's Gold ale yeast (among others)
For wine I've mostly used various Gervin yeasts as there's a homebrew shop on ebay that lets you select your own mix at a good price when you buy 6 or more sachets.
I haven't been at this game long enough, or with enough repeated identical recipes, to say which yeasts are best for which wines.
oldbloke