Lemon Wine

Made a great wine or cider post the recipe here, want critique of a recipe, post it here

Lemon Wine

Postby bobsbeer » Wed Jul 30, 2014 16:00

I made this back in July 2012 based on a recipe I found for Skeeter Pee, but have only just got around to bottling it today 30/7/14 so it's now 2 years old. The original Skeeter Pee was made with bottled Lemon Juice, but I decided to make this with real lemons and the zest. This is what I used for 1 gal.

18 Lemons juiced and zested.
1 bottle of Lemon Juice 200ml
(the juice from the lemons and bottle made 1 lt of juice)
1kg sugar
1 tsp tannin
1 tsp pectolase
Water to 1 gal

The sugar was dissolved by heating with some water and added to the FV along with all the rest. PH as you would expect was nearly sulphuric acid level of 2.5. I was a bit sceptical wine yeast would ferment this, given the high ph so decided to use Lalvin D47 which is a hardy yeast and keeps on going. SG was a respectable 1.082 but I think it would be better being higher. 1.100 would have been a better target for this.

The initial brew was fermented for 3 weeks and the SG was now .998. On tasting, it was very lemony and smelt divine, but the taste was very acidic. So I decided to split the DJ and top up with 1 lt WGJ in each DJ. And left this to ferment out for a further 3 months, when in December 2012 it was stabilised and put into another DJ to mature. FG was .998 again. At that stage it was still quite acidic but not as bad as earlier.

It having reached it's 2 year anniversary I decided to bottle this today having not tasted it since putting it away in December 2012. The wine is very dry to taste and also still very lemony. But it is now drinkable. I can imagine this being very refreshing on a hot day. Given the type of wine that it is I decided to bottle in 18.7 cl bottles which I have been saving for a while. That way I can open one and have just one glass.

Judgement. An interesting cheeky little wine, perfect to refresh on a very hot day. But not a quaffing wine. One glass at a time would be enough I think. Also a higher ABV would maybe help. Were I to make this again I think I would make this with 2lt WGJ and 1/2lt lemon juice. and up the sugar to give 1.100. Given the acid nature of this wine it could perhaps mature for a further 2 years and still be acidic.

For those going to the Northern Get Together I'll bring some along for you to try.
bobsbeer
Brewer

Re: Lemon Wine

Postby oldbloke » Wed Jul 30, 2014 16:46

That's not so far off what I did, but I intended to carbonate mine and that failed.
I wasn't enormously enamoured of what I got, though it's not a chuck-it-away one.
It's like a flat alcoholic bitter lemon mixer!

I might try again sometime, but don't hold your breath
oldbloke

Postby GAZ9053 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 20:43

And like a numpty totally forgot you had a sample in the cooler bob.

First BIAB 15.03.15
First Grainfather 22.12.15

My kit wine how-to
GAZ9053
Brewer

Postby bobsbeer » Mon Sep 08, 2014 08:17

Lol I forgot about it too. I will save some for the next get together.
bobsbeer
Brewer

Postby JamesMcS » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:35

On the subject of carbonating wines, how would you do it? After fining, stabilising etc in guessing a printed and bottles wine would just end up sweet?
JamesMcS
Brewer