A nice mixed berry wine

Made a great wine or cider post the recipe here, want critique of a recipe, post it here

A nice mixed berry wine

Postby oldbloke » Fri Jul 18, 2014 21:48

[retrieved from the old place]
Ok, had a bottle of this with the Sunday roast and decided it's good enough to share the recipe.
NB It was bottled in March 2012, pretty much 21 months ago. It was always OK but that time has really brought it on.

1238g raspberries, 443g blackberries, 344g blackcurrants.
Thawed into large SS pan with Campden, 1lb sugar, 1l boiled water, pectolase.
Mashed gently when thawed. Transferred to fermenting bucket.
After 2 days pitched rehydrated Gervin GV2; tsp nutrient.
After 3 more days, strained onto 1.5lb sugar in demi
Racked after 6 weeks.
About 8 days later, bottled with sulphite.
Taste good, slight rawness.
Soon improved to very pleasant.
After 21 months in bottle, very good.
oldbloke

Re: A nice mixed berry wine

Postby sledgehammer » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:19

do you think i could do something like this with frozen berries from the supermarket if they where cheap enough?
i would need a bit of help with the ingrediants and method as i havn't made wine before

steve
sledgehammer
Brewer

Postby calumscott » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:35

Of course you could! Alternatively you could take a longer term approach and go to your local PYO farm for the rasps in the next few weeks, blackcurrants towards the middle to end of August and your local hedgerow for blackberries around the same time. Just freeze them as you pick.
calumscott
Admin

Postby oldbloke » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:38

Yes, when I do strawberry wine it's with frozen ones from Costco. Doesn't really matter where the fruit comes from! Most of mine is foraged, but for my last plum wine the plums were foraged from the going-out-of-date shelf of a supermarket.

For berries, a freeze before use helps break cell walls, that and a bit if mashing (I use our potato masher, pour boiling water over it so it won't infect anything) helps get the flavours and sugars out. Then ferment on the pulp for 2 to 5 days, you can have none, some, or all the sugar in. Strain through sieve or muslin or jelly bag, get into demijohn, add remaining sugar and water (leave good headspace for at least a week then finish topping up)
Ferment until clear, racking if lots of sediment that worries you.
When ferment stops, rack onto sorbate& sulphite stabiliser then bottle.

A bit of black currant always help with wininess. A handful of chopped raisins never hurts, I've been using golden raisins lately.
oldbloke

Postby gregles » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:46

oldbloke wrote:[retrieved from the old place]
Ok, had a bottle of this with the Sunday roast and decided it's good enough to share the recipe.
NB It was bottled in March 2012, pretty much 21 months ago. It was always OK but that time has really brought it on.

1238g raspberries, 443g blackberries, 344g blackcurrants.
Thawed into large SS pan with Campden, 1lb sugar, 1l boiled water, pectolase.
Mashed gently when thawed. Transferred to fermenting bucket.
After 2 days pitched rehydrated Gervin GV2; tsp nutrient.
After 3 more days, strained onto 1.5lb sugar in demi
Racked after 6 weeks.
About 8 days later, bottled with sulphite.
Taste good, slight rawness.
Soon improved to very pleasant.
After 21 months in bottle, very good.

Just about to start my first berry wine using your recipe as a base. Just wondering why you wait two days before pitching the yeast?
gregles
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Sun Oct 04, 2015 14:54

One day would be enough, it's just to let the Campden tablet decay so it doesn't affect the yeast. If all the fruits been frozen you might risk no Campden at all, but better safe than sorry. I probably left that lot the second day because Life got in the way.
oldbloke

Postby gregles » Sun Oct 04, 2015 16:16

Thanks for that. I have 2,180g brambles, 980g of rasps and 800g of blackcurrant thawing with a kilo of sugar, a campden, pectolase and 2 litres of water for a two demijohn batch.
gregles
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:25

Sounds good. It'll be drinkable quite young, but if you can leave it a year or even two it'll be much better.
I had a bottle recently that was very nice, when I checked my notes it turned out it was just rassies and strawbs (nearly 2kg and about 0.5kg). Going to make that again! But that also wanted a good time in the bottle to become that nice.
oldbloke

Postby gregles » Mon Oct 05, 2015 19:36

I think I know why you waited two days to pitch the yeast. My fruit is still partially frozen after more than 24 hours lol!
gregles
Brewer

Postby gregles » Tue Oct 06, 2015 17:52

Pitched the yeast this evening and will rack into demijohns Friday. Do I top up with treated tap water at this point?
gregles
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Tue Oct 06, 2015 23:54

Give it a few days, in case it decides to go nuts and chuck stuff up the airlock
oldbloke

Postby gregles » Sun Oct 11, 2015 15:32

Strained this into two demijohns this morning. It took ages but not too messy thank goodness.

Saved some part fermented juice and froze it for cocktails :party:
gregles
Brewer

Postby BIGJIM72 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 17:53

I do like a mixed berry wine, although I do find that blackberries & raspberries produce lovely wines in their own right. To this years' blackberry I added the sediment from a high end red wine kit (the sediment went into a separate DJ with a few litres of apple juice as an experiment & fermented out & blended later.Probably not best practice-but there were an awful lot of oak chips & colour there & some grape flavour). It's showing a lot of promise.

I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Brewing,baking & grilling up a storm in South London
BIGJIM72
Brewer

Postby gregles » Wed Nov 25, 2015 00:22

This will have been in the Demi johns for 6 weeks on Sunday and is still fermenting actively. Should I rack it anyway and will it be ok to rack two Demi johns into a single plastic fermentation vessel as I have no more Demi johns? Any further info on when to add sulphite and how much would be appreciated :cheers:

Greg
gregles
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:34

If it's still fermenting I'd leave it, unless there's a crazy amount of crap on the bottom you'd like to get rid of.
Don't sulphite until it's done and you're stabilising, then it's one crrushed Campden + 1tsp potassium sorbate per gallon.
oldbloke

Postby gregles » Wed Nov 25, 2015 20:31

Thank you :-)
gregles
Brewer

Postby gregles » Sun Jan 24, 2016 15:27

Despite the central heating this was gurgling on very slowly, one bubble every two minutes, so decided to rack it onto campden and sorbate. Final gravity was 0.996 and it was very tasty with a definite bite. Looking forward to a bottle very soon. Cheers for the help oldbloke.
gregles
Brewer

Postby gregles » Thu Jan 28, 2016 00:23

Bottled this tonight and got 11 and 3/4 bottles.

It's not a full bodied red but is full of flavour and the sample tonight was enjoyed by another 4 consenting adults. Surprisingly, it tastes like wine !!!

I enjoyed making this and will enjoy supping it too.
gregles
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Thu Jan 28, 2016 09:49

To get a good deep red colour you need something with a lot of pigment in the skins, elderberries or sloes. Blackcurrant doesn't get quite dark enough. Not that the colour matters much, it's the flavour that's important.
I accidentally used sloes in a wine instead of blackcurrant once and was pleasantly surprised by the effect, so as our back hedge produces them fairly well a few go into most of my berry wines now.

Improving body is a different thing altogether, of course
oldbloke

Postby gregles » Thu Feb 11, 2016 23:55

oldbloke wrote:To get a good deep red colour you need something with a lot of pigment in the skins, elderberries or sloes. Blackcurrant doesn't get quite dark enough. Not that the colour matters much, it's the flavour that's important.
I accidentally used sloes in a wine instead of blackcurrant once and was pleasantly surprised by the effect, so as our back hedge produces them fairly well a few go into most of my berry wines now.

Improving body is a different thing altogether, of course

Sorry oldbloke - I missed your post. Cracked open a bottle of this tonight. It had been stored, almost chilled, in our loft. At first it was very tart with a really sharp acid aroma and taste and to be honest I was disappointed. However we persevered and decided to let it breath. An hour later, wow, completely different beastie. It is now a smooth, fruity, delicious, gorgeously sexy wee number :thumb: Absolutely lovely - if you would like to pm your address I will stick a bottle in the post for you :hat: :thumb:
gregles
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Fri Feb 12, 2016 09:36

Nah, keep it for yourself. I'm just happy something I said helped somebody make something nice
oldbloke

Postby gregles » Wed May 04, 2016 22:35

Went to the freezer this evening and found 1650g of brambles and 480g of blackcurrants. They are currently defrosting with 1lb of sugar, a campden tablet, some pectolase and a litre of boiled water for a 6 bottle batch.Hope this turns out as nice as the original versionwhich was excellent. :D

Still got 700g brambles and around 650g blackcurrants is it worth throwing these in too and topping up with additional sugar for two demijohns? :scratch:

Cheers

Greg
gregles
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Wed May 04, 2016 22:50

You could. All in one primary to be strained to 2 demis later? Chuck in a going-black banana too!
oldbloke

Postby gregles » Wed May 04, 2016 23:10

Sounds like a plan to me :D
gregles
Brewer

Postby gregles » Fri May 06, 2016 20:33

Ended up with 2350g of brambles, 1130g of blackcurrants and a mashed up banana with 2,500g sugar fermenting now and will strain to 2 Demi's on Sunday. I am estimating around 13 or 14 percent abv.
gregles
Brewer

Next