GA's Elderberry Port

Made a great wine or cider post the recipe here, want critique of a recipe, post it here

GA's Elderberry Port

Postby graysalchemy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:26

Back by popular demand my recipe for Elderberry Port.

This is a nice port but does need time to mature and we are not talking months years if not decades if can wait that long.

per gallon
2lb damsons
2lb elderberry
2lb blackberry
1lb raisins
1 tsp pectinase
2lb of sugar

Ferment on the Pulp for a week using a high Gravity Port yeast. Then pit into Dj's. After a month or so when fermentation has stopped rack into clean DJ's. Do this every six months for a year or so then bottle and lay down in a darkened room for eternity.

I usually sweeten it up before bottling with a bit of demerara sugar, and of course you could fortify it with some brandy as well.

graysalchemy

Re: GA's Elderberry Port

Postby The Goatreich » Tue Apr 08, 2014 13:03

I have something very similar waiting to be drunk. It had it's first racking around 6 months ago. Is there a reason for the continued racking each 6 months?

My plan was to back sweeten with demerara sugar, to about port sweetness, and bottle in another 6 months time, then wait another year until cracking the first bottle.

I think I remember you saying on the old forum, but (for the good of the new forum) is back sweetening to around 1.010 about right for a port? I presume there's a calculation to aim for the amount of sugar to add per volume to get this.

Fermenting: AG#28 Things Can Only Get Bitter
Conditioning:
Drinking: AG#25 Williamsburg Wannabe, AG#26 #Tis the Saison, AG#27 Winter Equinox
----------------------------------------------
Twitter: @andimorris616
Instagram: @andimorris616
The Goatreich
Brewer

Postby graysalchemy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 14:05

I rack again to get it off all the sediment it takes time to drop.

Sweetening wise I don't' think gave a gravity I always do it to taste.

graysalchemy

Postby GAZ9053 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 20:11

what do you top it back up with after racking GA?

First BIAB 15.03.15
First Grainfather 22.12.15

My kit wine how-to
GAZ9053
Brewer

Postby graysalchemy » Sat Apr 12, 2014 20:13

I haven't done, They need racking again and i think I will fortify with brandy next time. Just haven't got any idea of how much to add. :whistle:

graysalchemy

Postby GAZ9053 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 20:16

I am going to do one this year :thumb: not sure if i can keep it as long as some of your though :D

First BIAB 15.03.15
First Grainfather 22.12.15

My kit wine how-to
GAZ9053
Brewer

Postby Frogfurlong » Mon Jun 16, 2014 09:15

graysalchemy wrote:I haven't done, They need racking again and i think I will fortify with brandy next time. Just haven't got any idea of how much to add. :whistle:

For those of us that want to work out how much fortifier to add there is the Pearson Square, it looks scary at first but is actually a doddle to use :thumb:

http://www.grapestompers.com/articles/blending_wine.htm A good explanation on how it works :D However the link to the calculator doesn't work so you could use This one which also has a handy "I only have a litre of brandy how, how much will it fortify it by?" calculator too :thumb:

People assume that Brewing is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big glass of wibbly wobbly... beery weery... stuff.
Frogfurlong
Brewer