Habanero, Madame Jeanet, strawberry Mead

Made a great wine or cider post the recipe here, want critique of a recipe, post it here

Habanero, Madame Jeanet, strawberry Mead

Postby Lampie » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:02

I got these flavors from a bucket of icecream i bought a while ago. It was professor grunschnabel icecream with habanero, madame jeanet and strawberry. I know these chilies from south america and they are quite spicy and they have an exelent fruity flavor. Google on scoville scale to see how hot these chillies are.

I am not going to cut open the chillies but i will boil them for a short while and leave them to flavor the water with the strawberries. This way you get the nice fruity aroma from the chillies but not all the heat. There will be some heat from the chillies but the sweetnes of the strawberries and honey will extinguish the heat (i hope)

This is the recipe i came up with:

recipe for 5l

1.8 kg honey
1 habanero
1 madame jeanet
100/150 grams strawberries
0.5 tsp yeast nutrient
mead yeast

Bring 2 liters of water to the boil and add the 2 chillies and add halved strawberries. remove the pan from the heat and leave this for half an hour. After a half an hour remove the fruit and chillies and add the honey. Pour this spiced honey water in a clean dj and add yeast and nutrient and let it ferment.

After racking for the first time add one or two strawberries and a small piece of chilli. Rack again after 1/2 weeks and leave it to clear.

I have not failed i just found 10000 ways that won't work!
Lampie
Brewer

Re: Habanero, Madame Jeanet, strawberry Mead

Postby Frogfurlong » Tue Jul 15, 2014 15:49

I do like a bit of heat in a curry or a chilli so I have an idea about scoville scale
A Jalepeno is between 3,500 and 10,000 scovilles...
At a whopping 100,000–350,000 scovilles the Madame can safely be called a spicy pepper *drools*

Sounds like a great recipe, take care with the chilli peppers though, anything over 2,000 scovilles can cause a type of chemical burn if handled without gloves :thumb:

People assume that Brewing is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big glass of wibbly wobbly... beery weery... stuff.
Frogfurlong
Brewer

Postby Lampie » Tue Jul 15, 2014 19:50

Oh yes i know the madame. Been tot Suriname on Holiday and learned to eat them there. Start with a smal piece like 4 milimeters and a full glass of beer then slowly a bit more. They have a great fruity taste andere they are dangerous. They van Hurt in many ways ;). But i want tot put them whole in the water just tot get the aroma and not all of the heat. The Honey should cool down the heat that is left.

The best way tot preserve habanero is to put on gloves, cut them in slices and put them in Honey. This will take away some or most of the heat. Never Tried it bur it was on wiki lol.

But after i got out the aroma i will cut them up and get out the steeds andere plant them in someones garden. I dont have one zo will have to Find a victim without kids for that.

Lampie
Brewer

Postby Lampie » Wed Jul 16, 2014 14:27

I am almost complete just waiting on the madame jeanet will arrive, placed an order this morning so i probably have it tomorow so i can finaly start this :). Its exactly the right time the strawberries are very nice atm. I have some time on friday so finaly going to make this wine :).

Lampie
Brewer

Postby Lampie » Fri Jul 18, 2014 15:59

I got all the ingriedients so here goes :)

Honey, left chili madame jeanette, right chili habanero and strawberries

A friend came by and he gave me some raspberries from his garden so will add a few.

Big pan with boiling water removed from the heat and added the chillies and raspberry and strawberry

put the honey in a bath of warm water this makes it easier to get the honey out

got the fruit and chillies out and had a taste of the liquid and there was a faint hint of the strawberry and raspberry but did not get the taste or heat of the chillies :(

So warmed it again and put on some latex gloves and took two fresh chillies and got out the seeds and cut them up and added the pieces to the water and cut up some extra strawberries to see if this will add some extra taste. (steamy pic)

Lampie
Brewer

Postby Lampie » Tue Jul 22, 2014 14:12

it did not work out as I planned.. I was hoping to get more strawberry flavor this way but that did not happen.. So will re-think this mead and update when i found a good way :)

Lampie
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 14:40

Ive found out for fruit recipies, for the flavour to come out you really do need a lot of fruit! most gallon batches of wine require at least 1kg of fruit.......

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Lampie » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:31

yes it was a bit of a thinking mistake but stopped at making the broth and will have a go with mashing up strawberries just you would like to make a wine and then add a bit of heat.. But its to warm in my apartment to brew. Can keep the temp at 24 dgr inside the house but the outside temp is between the 25 and 30 dgr..

So will have a go at this later on this year.

Lampie
Brewer

Postby JamesMcS » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:40

Wow, those chilis look EVIL! I read somewhere that it's actually the mammary tissue (the white stuff) in chilis that holds most of the capsaicin, so maybe trimming that out would stop it taking your tongue off when you drink it... At 150k in the scoville scale though, I think it'd be a winter warmer no matter what :O
JamesMcS
Brewer

Postby Lampie » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:19

those chillies can hurt and the white inside is the hottest.. I also tasted the last attempt with the cut up and de-seeded chillies but that was to much heat.. It was quite warm outside and i could even feel the heat of the chillies trough my sweat..

So will go back to the drawing board and get a lot of strawberries and put them in the freezer to use later on :).. So going to use the honey to make a melomel with birchsap :).

Lampie
Brewer

Postby JamesMcS » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:31

Haha chili sweats... Instant insect repellent I bet :-D

Where did you get birch sap from? Apart from birch trees of course... I've read it's a refreshing drink, if be very interested to see how it boozes
JamesMcS
Brewer

Postby Lampie » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:29

there is a russian shop nearby and they sell birch sap in cartons.. It tastes great and made some wines with this and turned out great. I will see if i can make a picture of the carton and do a bit of a translation. Most of the descriptions have english and/or german on there.

Lampie
Brewer

Postby Lampie » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:34

started again with this recipe 2 weeks ago when the temp was a bit normal in my apartment.

recipe:

2 kg strawberries
1.8 kg honey
1 habanero
1 madame jeanet
1 tsp citric acid
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp pectine

Cleaned and cut up the strawberries and put them in a big pot

added a cup of water and slowly warmed and mashed all the strawberries

then cut up half the chilies (with rubber gloves) and added them to my strawberry mash

added the honey to the strawberry mash stirred all the honey in the strawberries and then it was time to put it in the dj. The mash was a bit thick so had to use a chopstick to get it all trough.

put in the yeast, citric acid, yeast nutrient and mead yeast into the bottle. I did not have any pectine at home so have put an order in for that, i dont have a brewshop nearby so had to order this online. Kept a lot of headspace before I have my pectine. There is still a lot of fruit in there that will try and leave the bottle somehow.

Here the bottle is in a big pot in case of a strawberry vulcano :).

this is after three days

Lampie
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 13:05

That looks fantastic!

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Lampie » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:00

The only thing i saw the next day is that i forgot to get out the cut up chillies so i hope its not to Hot. But its almost time to rack and leave it till november.. In november i want to do a tasting with some friends and the two that they like the most will make a 10 liter batch and leave this for a long period.

But i am realy exited about this wine because its sort of my own design.

Lampie
Brewer

Postby Lampie » Wed Sep 10, 2014 08:32

Racked it for the first time a few days ago to get rid of all the strawberry pulp and topped it off with a pint of water.. Had a little taste and it tastes fantastic, first you get the sweetness of the honey and the strawberry and after that a little heat of the chili and this slowly fades away...

Its still slowly fermenting so will give it an other few days and then rack again and put it away for a few months to clear and get a little bit of age.

Lampie
Brewer

Postby Lampie » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:26

Oh and save the seeds of the chillies so you can grow them yourself :).. I am planning to grow the chillies myself next year :)

Lampie
Brewer

Postby maggs » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:50

You might not get the same variety growing that you planted.
Plants are funny like that, growers cross X and Y to get Z. The seeds of Z might not grow true to type though, as different combinations of X and Y come through.
It does depends on the plant though, if it's a true species rather than a hybrid, and it hasn't been cross pollinated, then you might be okay.
maggs
Brewer

Postby Lampie » Tue Sep 30, 2014 09:59

yes i know and the chillies are very cheap so there is not realy a need to grow them yourself.. But i like to grow some little plants on my balcony :)

Lampie
Brewer

Postby BeerBloke » Tue Sep 30, 2014 16:01

Wow, that looks amazing. Makes me want to have a go myself :-)

Homebrewing since 1991
'What's so unpleasant about being drunk? Ask a glass of water!
BeerBloke
Commercial Brewer and Vendor

Postby johnsaunders » Tue Sep 30, 2014 17:01

It does look amazing. Could be something very interesting to make for Chrimbo.

Can you get these peppers in the local high street?

Formally known as cyberheater
johnsaunders
Brewer

Postby Lampie » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:19

In Holland these chilies are on the local market. They are used a lot in African and south American cooking. I will have a look on the net if they sell them in the UK too.

Lampie
Brewer