Hartley's Black Cherry Fruit Filling Wine

Made a great wine or cider post the recipe here, want critique of a recipe, post it here

Hartley's Black Cherry Fruit Filling Wine

Postby robwalker » Sat Jul 05, 2014 17:37

Picked up a few tins of this a while back with the intention to brew with it, but never got around to it. Anyway, I've had a big home brew declutter today and decided to use these up.

Recipe so far, fermenting on pulp -

2x tins Hartley's Black Cherry Fruit Pie Filling
250g Blueberries
100g Strawberries
1tsp Pectolase
1 campden tablet

A few simple questions. one, is this enough fruit or should I add some juice to this brew? I have approx 695g fruit so far - I assume I'll need more than that. If so, can anyone recommend a juice to go with this, preferably berry or apple rather than grape?

Second, should I add acid? I have citric, malic and lactic acid to hand. I would like to use a combination of citric and lactic acid if so, but will it have enough already? The tins of pie filling contain citric acid, but I don't know how much.

Third, will there be enough tannin in the cherry and blueberry skins or should I give it a little nudge?

cheers!
robwalker
Brewer

Re: Hartley's Black Cherry Fruit Filling Wine

Postby Dennis King » Sun Jul 06, 2014 23:04

Bumping, any of you winemakers able to answer Robs questions
Dennis King

Postby Frogfurlong » Mon Jul 07, 2014 08:30

Never brewed with pie filling, but sounds an interesting experiment :thumb:

If it was me, I'd throw in a dose of Citric and a dose of tannin (I use strong tea). Acids will mellow with age if they are too harsh young :)

edit to add:

I'd throw in apple juice and some raisins for vinosity it'll increase the sugar bill, but a bit of number juggling to get it to 1.1kg shouldn't be too hard. The tins should have the "of which sugars" bit on the label ;)

People assume that Brewing is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big glass of wibbly wobbly... beery weery... stuff.
Frogfurlong
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Mon Jul 07, 2014 09:56

After a little research most info points to an acid addition for fresh black cherries - so although acid is already added and I assume in around the right balance, I think I'm going to add a little of both citric and lactic, but I'll taste the must after adding water but not sugar to get a rough idea of any acidity (without using strips, of course.) if it mellows with age, it won't be a problem.

I actually found an old topic over there in which I claim to have already made this, but I think that was with the summer fruit filling when I first started making wine, and it was used in a 14% "cocktail mixer" hahah. The guy (Teenage Kicks) who actually brewed with 3 tins of cherries and nothing else had this to say;

final result, can really taste the cherries and it has a really good flavour now, the colour is amazing aswell, lovelly light red

so looks reasonably promising!
robwalker
Brewer

Postby Brewtrog » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:44

IIRC pie filling wines are suggested to use 3 tins and double the pectolase (similar to jam wines). For the acid you could do with testing it - if you have any litmus/UI paper use that (put a drop of must onto the paper, don't dip the paper in), if not then taste and guess. I've never worked with lactic acid, but I doubt you'd need more than a tsp extra acid. Tannin shoulb be fine, but there's no harm in adding a stewed cup of tea - the worst thing that could happen is you'd need to age it a tad longer. Good luck with this one, will be interested to hear the results.
Brewtrog
Brewer

Postby divingdavey » Tue Jul 08, 2014 09:08

I've made a few wines from tinned fruit and use 2 tins per 5l. I picked up 2 large tins of apple n blackberry pie fruit filling from Aldi which I'm going to get brewing asap :)

I don't add any acid but I add tannin.

:drunk:
divingdavey
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:17

great,thanks for that both! as i assume I'm in the middle ground of your methods - more than 2 tins, less than 3 - ill leave it as it is. there is no fermentation on the pulp after 2 days however, visible at least. should I be worried? :p
robwalker
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:11

After a few days I made up a starter using boiled water, 2tsp sugar and yeast when it cooled enough. This started fermenting after about 6 hours, 3 days after I started this wine! Doh. Fermented on the pulp for 3 days.

Strained this off into a DJ and added 250g sugar, 1/2tsp liquid lactic acid, 1/4 tsp citric acid and 1/2tsp tannin powder last night after a mould scare to see if any pellicle picks up in the next few days. if not i'll add the remaining sugar - if it does I'll just start again.

I'll aim for around 1.100 OG which should give me around 13.5% in the finished product.

410g total sugars so far
265g sugar per litre for OG
4.5L so 1192g sugar needed in total (call it 1200g.)
-250g added already, 782g sugar needed.

Anyone wanting to brew this (or a similar wine,) here's a simpler recipe.

2x tins Hartley's Black Cherry Pie Filling
250g blueberries
100g strawberries
1200g sugar
1tsp Pectolase
1/2tsp Tannin
1/2tsp Lactic Acid
1/4tsp Citric Acid
2 Campden Tablets
Wine yeast
Potassium Sorbate

Put all fruit in a 1-2 gallon bucket and mash with potato masher. Pour over 1L boiling water, add a crushed campden tablet, and leave for 24 hours. After 24 hours add pectolase and yeast and ferment on the pulp for 3 days. Strain off into a demi-john and add the remaining sugar, tannin and acids. When fermentation slows and wine begins to settle, rack into a new DJ and top up. When fermentation stops (around 0.990) add a crushed campden tablet and potassium sorbate as directed on packet. Dissolve 60g sugar in a little water to sweeten to medium, then rack or bottle whenever you feel. Leave for 6 months before drinking.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby teenage kicks » Wed Jul 16, 2014 21:22

hi rob, twas me who gave this a shot, bare with me a bit, the baby bottle was for my now 3 year old son so its been a while

if i remember there are a few things to look out for on this one

there will be a sort of gelatinous(sp?) layer towards the bottom you want to avoid racking, i found it was about 10% waste after settling

allow it to age a bit, when its very young its very sharp, but a couple of months really rounds it off

treat it like you would a red, i personally don't like overly acidic wines anyway and this was very pallatable without it

i can't even remember the quantities i used and my log book is back in the uk, no access to get it off other web based forum providers either im affraid

one thing i do remember learning from making this wine

when in the supermarket and looking at things whilst SWMBO is getting "ladies items" you look at something and think, hmm, can i ferment that, give it a go, it may well turn out well.
teenage kicks
Brewer

Postby teenage kicks » Wed Jul 16, 2014 21:39

oh aand one other thing, if i was to ever make this again i would probably age it in a demi with a few oak chips, infact, family are coming to visit this weekend, might add some fruit filling to the shopping list
teenage kicks
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Wed Jul 23, 2014 19:55

I have oak powder ready to go, so I'll do that. i'm a firm believer in a bit of oak in wine too!

I'll be ageing for at least 6 months anyway, do you reckon the ingredients are in about the right quantity? I ask because I want to put more tinned/frozen fruit wines on soon...payday friday! ;)
robwalker
Brewer

Postby teenage kicks » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:07

sounds about right to me, i was about the same minus the aditional fruit, with the extra you chucked in you may be able to get it down to 1 tin.

i bottled in the little bottles so i could keep an eye on aging without opening a full bottle everytime.
teenage kicks
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Sat Aug 30, 2014 14:05

I've second racked this today and it needs at least one more. The gunk is turning out to be problematic, it doesn't compact down so i'm relying on a few repeated rackings to get rid of the last of it.

The smell during fermentation wasn't a good one, but on this racking it's improved a lot, so I guess it's just a gross fermenter. The cherries taste very sweet on the roof of my mouth despite being a dry wine at current - tannin and acid are both low, so if you prefer acidic and tanninic (?) then add more than I did. Still might chuck a bit more citric in before it gets bottled. It's a rosé colour for sure, so for a darker wine you might wanna add some skins.

Think it'll be a decent wine when it's done.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Wed Feb 04, 2015 16:08

Bottled this today after 6 months. It's very light and fruity in flavour, not special but a passable table wine, going to be an easy drinker in the summer. Cheers!
robwalker
Brewer

Postby divingdavey » Sun Mar 08, 2015 20:52

I've just bottled a black cherry using tinned cherries which is rather nice, I also have a gooseberry on the go too :cheers:
divingdavey
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Sun Mar 08, 2015 23:27

I've had a few goes on this since and it's insipid. Too little flavour. You need more fruit or a juice base, I'd prefer to use frozen skin on stuff in future.
robwalker
Brewer