Calum's Elderflower and Grapefruit Champagne

Made a great wine or cider post the recipe here, want critique of a recipe, post it here

Re: Calum's Elderflower and Grapefruit Champagne

Postby calumscott » Tue May 26, 2015 10:37

krazypara3165 wrote:I made some of this last year. The fizz was a bit on the bitter side still last time i tasted (dec) i dont think its going to go unfortunately. I suspect this is due to the flowers being past their best (they were stored in the freezer beforehand)

Freezing them is good, but they still do lose their sweetness. You want heads where all the flowers are just open and if you knock the flower you get covered in pollen. Get them home and into a bin bag ASAP. 24hrs in there shake them and either use them there and then or get them straight into the freezer.
calumscott
Admin

Postby Bad 'Ed » Tue May 26, 2015 12:39

People always say to use the flowers asap, but given brewday is very unlikely to be that close to whenever the elderflowers decide to blossom around me, what's the best way to store the flavour?

- Are they fine to be kept as 'elder water' or is it more sensible to add sugar to make syrup?
- I assume I can steep for a while and then freeze?
- What's the maximum time you can steep for?
- Can I add a campden tablet to water and then just pile in the elderflowers over a couple of days as I pick them? Is it better to do this in separate batches for each picking sessions?

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby calumscott » Tue May 26, 2015 12:44

It's not really a brewday for this one! It's a "chuck it in a demi day".

You would pick one day, shake off the flowers the next and from there it's an hour's work if that to get it pitched.

However the best thing to do, if you can't do it all together is pick your flowers, do the black bag trick, put the flowers into a ziplock bag, squeeze out as much air as you can and freeze them.

When you come to use them, bring your water to the boil, keep the gas on full tilt, and dump the still frozen flowers straight in without letting them defrost first.
calumscott
Admin

Postby Kebal » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:12

Think I will use one tree for flowers and the other for berries,
Elderflower 001.jpg
Elderflower 001.jpg (20.57 KiB) Viewed 2674 times
Kebal
Brewer

Postby Bad 'Ed » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:27

Is anyone bringing any of this to the festival? I keep meaning to make some and think the taste might be what I need to motivate me!

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:30

I have several bottles upstairs - you've just reminded me! sadly, i think i left it too late to use the flowers as in december, it still had a bitter taste. I'll crack open a bottle tonight and check.

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby divingdavey » Tue Jun 09, 2015 20:43

Do you just leave the flowers to infuse while the water cools? All other recipes I've done say to leave them in the water for 2-3 days, I got plenty of flowers at the weekend which are in the freezer, I'm keen to have a go at this :)
divingdavey
Brewer

Postby calumscott » Tue Jun 09, 2015 20:46

Yeah, I use a bit more flower than the old recipes say and just chuck them in boiling water, bring back to the boil and leave until the next morning.
calumscott
Admin

Postby divingdavey » Tue Jun 16, 2015 16:11

When do you put the sugar in, is that with the "chemicals" and do you dissolve it into a syrup?

Cheers!
divingdavey
Brewer

Postby calumscott » Tue Jun 16, 2015 16:14

Everything all in at once, don't bother about the syrup. Sugar, strained elderflower water, chemicals, juices, just lash it in and give it a damn good shake. If it doesn't all dissolve just shake it again after a while...
calumscott
Admin

Postby divingdavey » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:17

I'm going to get this on the go later, I'm going to use RGJ as I can't find white.

I recently made an original recipe of WOW using RGJ, I was expecting a Rosé or Blush but it came out a really nice golden coloured white so I guess I'll get similar here. If not an Elderflower Blush will be nice too. :rofl:
divingdavey
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:48

I'm going to try one of last years batch tonight, was a bit bitter in december so fingers crossed its mellowed out a bit. also need to get outside and pick some more for this years batch although i may of missed the majority of them now.

Kegged:

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby calumscott » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:47

krazypara3165 wrote:I'm going to try one of last years batch tonight, was a bit bitter in december so fingers crossed its mellowed out a bit. also need to get outside and pick some more for this years batch although i may of missed the majority of them now.

Bitterness suggests poor flowers I think. You need to be sure to pick fresh ripe ones (all flowers on the head should be open and they should give a good covering of pollen to your hand if you brush over them) and get them processed as quickly as you can. Get the flowers off the stems and frozen ASAP and when you use them bring your water to the boil and dump in the frozen blocks of flowers straight from the freezer.
calumscott
Admin

Postby krazypara3165 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:12

^i think your right! I took them out of the freezer to early and they started browning off. I'll test one tonight and if it's no good I know for next time!

Kegged:

Bottled:

Maturing:

Next Up:
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby calumscott » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:18

krazypara3165 wrote:^i think your right! I took them out of the freezer to early and they started browning off. I'll test one tonight and if it's no good I know for next time!

Yep, that would do it. Once they're frozen they oxidise as soon as they defrost.
calumscott
Admin

Postby krazypara3165 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 14:38

Well I cracked open a bottle last night, I have had them stored upside down so I turned them over gently and removed the cork, forgot to chill it but the pressure blew out whatever remnants of yeast that were not in the cork!

Its took a year but has mellowed out rather nicely! there is still a degree of bitterness but adding a strawberry complimented it!

Kegged:

Bottled:

Maturing:

Next Up:
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby divingdavey » Sun Jun 21, 2015 14:19

I got one of these on the go on Friday, its going like a train now. I used RGJ though and it's quite red despite the dilution so I think I'll end up with a rosé :notworthy:

I upped the sugar a bit, is the original recipe for a fairly weak wine?
divingdavey
Brewer

Postby calumscott » Sun Jun 21, 2015 23:36

It was, yes, I think it came out less than 12%. I wanted something you could drink a fair amount of on a hot summer day...
calumscott
Admin

Postby Bad 'Ed » Mon Jul 20, 2015 20:32

calumscott wrote:
Code: Select all
3.00 tsp              Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days)        Other         7     

Does this really need to be added 3 days after the yeast? I would have thought it made more sense to add them both together.

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby calumscott » Tue Jul 21, 2015 08:33

That's just beersmith being weird with wine...
calumscott
Admin

Postby Bad 'Ed » Wed Aug 19, 2015 13:13

I brewed this around a month ago and I got around to racking it off the trub last weekend (it got down to 990). I'm leaving it to clear in the DJs before bottling so I imagine it will be in the DJs for another month or so. Given I am going to carbonate when bottling I don't want to keep it too cold. I've got it at 12c for the moment.

Anyone got any opinions about keeping it in the DJs for longer or at a colder temperature? Will there be enough yeast to carbonate (over a period of around 3 months) if I chill it down to 0?

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby calumscott » Wed Aug 19, 2015 16:37

Plenty! Don't worry about the yeast. :thumb:
calumscott
Admin

Postby divingdavey » Tue Sep 15, 2015 08:35

I brewed up 15l of this and then racked into 3 x 5l PETS, two of which I stabilised (as I don't have many champagne bottles).

I bottled the still ones at the weekend and they're cracking, still young but good all the same.

I'll bottle the sparkling one at the weekend.

Thanks again :)
divingdavey
Brewer

Previous