Calum's Elderflower and Grapefruit Champagne

Made a great wine or cider post the recipe here, want critique of a recipe, post it here

Calum's Elderflower and Grapefruit Champagne

Postby calumscott » Mon Apr 07, 2014 17:19

This is simply an awesome recipe and is equally good as a still dry white as it is an extra-brut fizzy.

Code: Select all
Recipe: Elderflower Champagne
Style: Wine

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 15.00 l

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
3.00 kg               Rio D'Oro White Grape Juice (1.0 EBC)    Sugar         1        34.5 %       
2.20 kg               Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (2.0 EBC)         Sugar         2        25.3 %       
2.00 kg               Grapefruit Juice (1.0 EBC)               Sugar         3        23.0 %       
1.50 kg               Apple Juice (1.0 EBC)                    Sugar         4        17.2 %       
2.0 pkg               Lalvin EC-1118 (Lallemand - Lalvin #EC-1 Yeast         5        -             
3.50 pt               Elderflowers (Primary 60.0 mins)         Spice         6        -             
3.00 tsp              Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days)        Other         7        -             
3.00 tsp              Pectolase (Primary 0.0 mins)             Fining        8        -             

Method:
-------

Boil 7.5l water with one CT
Add flowers, cover and leave to cool
Rehydrate yeast
Add 1l WGJ to each DJ
Add 0.5l Grapefruit to each DJ
Add chemicals to each DJ
Add 2.5l Elder infused water to each DJ
Add 1/3 of total rehydrated yeast to each DJ
Top up after first racking with Apple Juice

For champagne make sure you use the Lalvin EC-1118, it's the only champagne style yeast with decent compacting properties. 
I primed at 8g/l and it's just right.
For wine makers who don't also bottle beer, please check out the bottling sections in the how to guides for tips to do this safely - bottle bombs can happen and they hurt...
calumscott
Admin

Re: Calum's Elderflower and Grapefruit Champagne

Postby GAZ9053 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 19:01

Just might have to give this a go :cheers:

First BIAB 15.03.15
First Grainfather 22.12.15

My kit wine how-to
GAZ9053
Brewer

Postby narmour » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:27

I'm planning to do an elderflower fizz this year, I will take your recommendation and give it a go.

I assume that for juices where you have said quantities in kilos you mean litres?

Also the flowers are stripped from the stalk before being measured, isn't that right?

The House of Badger Presents, the "Badger's Arse" range.

Planning- Another Youngs APA
Brewing- Kenridge showcase Amarone
Conditioning- Kenridge Showcase Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, Various WoWs, Perpetual TC, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz
Drinking- Caxton's Real Ale, Youngs APA
narmour
Brewer

Postby calumscott » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:38

:lol: Yeah, litres... That's just down to my hackery in Beersmith to get wine recipes in!

Will edit later...

And on the flowers, yes, that's *just* flowers. I used the shove them in a black bag and leave them for a day technique and it worked brilliantly.

I also then froze them as I didn't have time to get the brew on and it wasn't to the detriment of the flavour at all. Don't leave them in the freezer too long though, they do start to oxidise after a couple of weeks.

This year I will be collecting when I can, probably a weekend and evenings with the each haul going into a black bag and left until the next night. Shake the hell out of it, pick out the stalks, measure the volume then bag and freeze. I'll then get the wine on when I have enough.
calumscott
Admin

Postby tommidolcetto » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:45

This looks so good it might make me get my first wine on.

How soon before we should start looking for elderflowers?
Saw plenty in the hedgerows round here last year.
tommidolcetto
Brewer

Postby donny70 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:48

Sounds like one helluva summer drink :)
donny70
Brewer

Postby calumscott » Fri Apr 25, 2014 14:07

tommidolcetto wrote:This looks so good it might make me get my first wine on.

How soon before we should start looking for elderflowers?
Saw plenty in the hedgerows round here last year.

Last year was exceptional. Don't expect it to be as good this year!

The best plan for finding them is just to keep your eyes peeled both on the hedgerows and on here for other people out picking.
calumscott
Admin

Postby matjam » Tue Apr 29, 2014 23:13

I'll be trying this too. Looks good.

My attempt last year was a failure. My bottles just wouldn't carbonate no matter what I tried.

Allergy Advice: This post was created in an environment containing sarcasm. Whilst every effort has been made to remove it some traces may remain.
matjam
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Tue Apr 29, 2014 23:43

i've used elderflowers a few times now - a couple of notes...

1 - elderflower is quite dry and bitter so be careful if you use a lot of it, it might take the roof of your mouth off!
2 - only use perfect white heads that smell great. no brown whatsoever - it tastes awful.
3 - put them in a tied up bin liner for 24 hours, then shake vigorously and the heads will fall right off. easy!
robwalker
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 19:49

is there a scaled version so it would be possible to do 1-2g?

Edit, just realised its for a 15l batch. May as well get the full amount on the go if i have enough flowers :)

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby calumscott » Fri Jun 20, 2014 22:54

krazypara3165 wrote:is there a scaled version so it would be possible to do 1-2g?

Edit, just realised its for a 15l batch. May as well get the full amount on the go if i have enough flowers :)

Exactly!

For one gallon, divide everything by three.
For two gallons, divide everything by three then multiply by two...

:thumb:
calumscott
Admin

Postby krazypara3165 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 23:16

Had a bash at this tonight with my leftover frozen elderflowers, boiled the water, added sugar and flowers and then left overnight. Split into three batches today and added champagne yeast to two and wine yeast to one (although I only want one to be spark looking it will be interesting to note the differences between yeasts in the still wines. Added the other juices and pectolaze and yeast nutrient. Hopefully ive done it right although forgot to take a s.g. I plan on leaving for a few days then racking and topping up with apple juice. Already smells great!

Kegged:

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby calumscott » Tue Jul 15, 2014 23:28

I just got round to topping mine off tonight with a couple of litres of apple as it goes!

I'll get it racked in a week or so... You're right! It smells good! :)
calumscott
Admin

Postby krazypara3165 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 17:50

Due to prime and bottle mine tomorrow, going to go with around 8mg per L.

One question remains though, how do you deal with the sediment?

Kegged:

Bottled:

Maturing:

Next Up:
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Crastney » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:54

one option is to leave the bottle slanted downwards so that the sediment settles in the neck of the bottle, then freeze the neck, open the bottle, take out the bung of sediment, top up with a sugar brandy mix, and recork - which is what the 'proffessionals' do.
This can be tricky, and takes a lot of practice to get right.
an alternative is to make sure it's well settled, and well chilled before oppening, and pour carefully, and leave the last cm or so in the bottle.

Global average carbon emissions - one ton per person per year.
Current emissions in UK – 9 tons per person per year!
Eight million tons of plastic dumped into the oceans. Every year!
Crastney
Brewer

Postby calumscott » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:05

Crastney wrote:one option is to leave the bottle slanted downwards so that the sediment settles in the neck of the bottle, then freeze the neck, open the bottle, take out the bung of sediment, top up with a sugar brandy mix, and recork - which is what the 'proffessionals' do.
This can be tricky, and takes a lot of practice to get right.
an alternative is to make sure it's well settled, and well chilled before oppening, and pour carefully, and leave the last cm or so in the bottle.

I decant when serving. Chill well, open carefully and decant to a clean screwtop pressure bottle.
calumscott
Admin

Postby krazypara3165 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 14:19

cheers gents! have them stored upside down for now until i decide what i want to do with them lol

Kegged:

Bottled:

Maturing:

Next Up:
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Quensabob » Sat Sep 13, 2014 17:06

I made a batch of this in May and bottled it in July,after 2 Weeks in the warm and 2 weeks in the garage I tasted it, I have to say I wasn't impressed it seemed very bitter and flat.
I put it down to an error I had made and put it in the garage.Today I was moving bottles around to make room I picked up a bottle of elderflower champagne to notice the bottle was a lot firmer than previously so thought I would give it a taste and popped it in the fridge.
Just tried it and can't believe the difference it is extremely fizzy and tastes delicious,the elderflower bitterness has softened and the grapefruit is really coming through! I am actually quite impressed with how it now tastes after first giving up on it!!
Quensabob
Brewer

Postby calumscott » Sat Sep 13, 2014 20:25

It takes a good while. Open one on Christmas morning and you'll see what it's all about!!
calumscott
Admin

Postby Quensabob » Sat Sep 13, 2014 20:43

I have 9 bottles left so will put them away till December then try them again!!
Quensabob
Brewer

Postby martindisorder » Tue May 26, 2015 08:06

I'm going to go out and collect myself some elderflowers tonight and have a crack at this recipe at the weekend. I've been promising SWMBO ill make her something fizzy for a while now so definitely get some brownie points!
Couple of questions about the method as this is my first hedgerow brew.
1) when would i first rack the champagne and is this just transfering to a 2nd DJ to get it of the trub?
2) will any wine finings do or is there a specific one best to use also when would i add these?
3) i don't fancy splashing out on champagne bottles and corks/cages this first batch so will the be ok in reused fizzy pop bottles?
4)How accurate with temp contol do i need to be with the yeast you recommend/how easy is it to cause off flavours?
martindisorder
Brewer

Postby calumscott » Tue May 26, 2015 09:36

1) Yes. Just rack it once it has fermented right out to dry.
2) You don't have to bother with finings, be sure to use pectolase up front to get the pectin out of the grapefruit juice though. It will drop clear in the end.
3) Fizzy pop PET bottles are fine, as are crown capped ale bottles, grolsch swing tops etc. Anything you'd use for beer is fine.
4) Again, don't worry, elderflower is a very potent aroma/flavour and will mask anything undesirable. You do want a load of winey esters in there so just make sure it doesn't get up to fusel temperatures (24-25C max) other than that, just let it do its thing.

Once it's fermented right out, rack it and let it clear. Prime like you would for a beer but go heavy on the sugar, I use 7g/l for this and it's perfect.

Do try to get that specific yeast. Champagne yeasts are very puffy on the whole but EC-1118 does eventually stick. Make it as soon as you can get the flowers, keep on top of it and get it bottled as soon as the racked wine clears and you will have a cracking breakfast fizz for Christmas morning!
calumscott
Admin

Postby martindisorder » Tue May 26, 2015 10:02

calumscott wrote:1) Yes. Just rack it once it has fermented right out to dry.
2) You don't have to bother with finings, be sure to use pectolase up front to get the pectin out of the grapefruit juice though. It will drop clear in the end.
3) Fizzy pop PET bottles are fine, as are crown capped ale bottles, grolsch swing tops etc. Anything you'd use for beer is fine.
4) Again, don't worry, elderflower is a very potent aroma/flavour and will mask anything undesirable. You do want a load of winey esters in there so just make sure it doesn't get up to fusel temperatures (24-25C max) other than that, just let it do its thing.

Once it's fermented right out, rack it and let it clear. Prime like you would for a beer but go heavy on the sugar, I use 7g/l for this and it's perfect.

Do try to get that specific yeast. Champagne yeasts are very puffy on the whole but EC-1118 does eventually stick. Make it as soon as you can get the flowers, keep on top of it and get it bottled as soon as the racked wine clears and you will have a cracking breakfast fizz for Christmas morning!

Thank you so much! Im looking forward to this it will be a nice change from berr brewing. I do hope i can find enough elderflowers. There are plenty of hedge rows and woodland round me so sure i will.
martindisorder
Brewer

Postby calumscott » Tue May 26, 2015 10:03

You will be fine! A well stuffed carrier bag will give you more than enough flowers for a gallon.
calumscott
Admin

Postby krazypara3165 » Tue May 26, 2015 10:16

I made some of this last year. The fizz was a bit on the bitter side still last time i tasted (dec) i dont think its going to go unfortunately. I suspect this is due to the flowers being past their best (they were stored in the freezer beforehand) that said, I'm sure I still have a DJ full that i did not make fizzy, may give that a try next week!

Kegged:

Bottled:

Maturing:

Next Up:
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Next