Experimental: Carrot and Corn Wine

Made a great wine or cider post the recipe here, want critique of a recipe, post it here

Experimental: Carrot and Corn Wine

Postby Frogfurlong » Wed Jun 04, 2014 16:55

I managed to get 4kg of carrots for 16p at my local tesco express (go after 8pm and you can get great bargains in the reduced section ;) )

I also had a once tried but ignored bag of coarse ground maize (Indian supermarket "polenta")

They were merrily laughing at me as I opened the cupboard or fridge so I thought I'd show 'em
I came up with this recipe as an experiment, if it works I've got a new recipe... if not I've only lost about 50p worth of ingredients.

Carrot and Corn

4kg carrots cut into 1cm cubes (this is a ball ache to do)
300g Course milled corn meal (polenta)
200g raisins (minced)
200g sugar
2 lemons sliced
GP yeast
Nutrient
Pectolase
Amylase

I boiled the carrots in enough water to cover them (it was about 2 litres). When they were tender (soft but not squishy) I removed the carrots from the liquor.
I added the polenta and brought it back to the boil adding the minced raisins and then allowed to cool.

I poured the liquor into the demijohn and added the lemon slices, meanwhile I rehydrated the yeast.
When the liquor reached pitching temperature I added the yeast nutrient, pectolase, amylase and finally the yeast. I gave the Demijohn a swish around to mix the ingredients.
I fitted an airlock and waited.

Within a couple of hours the airlock was very active with a familiar burping sound coming from the kitchen. This time it wasn't my dog, it was the C&C wine :D

I have swirled the demijohn every day to disturb the polenta layer, this likes to pack down at the bottom.

I have noticed a reduction in the amount of polenta layer in the last 2 days, the yeasties seem to be enjoying their new food.

The colour, although far from finished, is a bright gold.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

:thumb:

People assume that Brewing is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big glass of wibbly wobbly... beery weery... stuff.
Frogfurlong
Brewer

Re: Experimental: Carrot and Corn Wine

Postby LeeH » Wed Jun 04, 2014 17:57

I like it, I might go and have a look in my fridge but I doubt I could wine a half eaten doner kebab and a brown lettuce.

To monitor my latest fermentation click here Black IPA
To view my new AG build click here
Keg 1: Berliner Weisse
Keg 2: APA
Keg 3: Stout (Nitro)
Keg 4: Empty
LeeH
Brewer

Postby Chippy_Tea » Wed Jun 04, 2014 18:21

LeeH wrote:I like it, I might go and have a look in my fridge but I doubt I could wine a half eaten doner kebab and a brown lettuce.

I bet someone has tried in the past. :vomit: :lol:

Supermarket Juice Wine Recipes and Wurzels Orange Wine (WOW) here - viewtopic.php?f=19&t=57
Chippy_Tea
Brewer

Postby Frogfurlong » Thu Jun 05, 2014 06:27

Chippy_Tea wrote:
LeeH wrote:I like it, I might go and have a look in my fridge but I doubt I could wine a half eaten doner kebab and a brown lettuce.

I bet someone has tried in the past. :vomit: :lol:

Well, you can make lettuce wine and cock ale seems to be a popular thread so why not? :rofl:

People assume that Brewing is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big glass of wibbly wobbly... beery weery... stuff.
Frogfurlong
Brewer

Postby Frogfurlong » Thu Oct 09, 2014 20:20

Update:

It got fruit fly'd :(

I'll never know if it was the next big thing... unless I try again another time :lol:

Frogfurlong
Brewer