Joe's Ancient Orange Mead (JAOM)

Made a great wine or cider post the recipe here, want critique of a recipe, post it here

Re: Joe's Ancient Orange Mead (JAOM)

Postby Gunnar » Mon Jun 08, 2015 06:45

I've had a variation of this fermenting for about 3 weeks, straight honey mead with blueberries. The color is a deep red and I am looking forward to the results!
Gunnar
Brewer

Postby jkp » Mon Jun 08, 2015 07:39

Gunnar wrote:I've had a variation of this fermenting for about 3 weeks, straight honey mead with blueberries. The color is a deep red and I am looking forward to the results!

That sounds great, pics would be good too though!

Was the rest of the recipe the same or did you leave out the orange and the spices? What about the yeast?

jkp
Brewer

Postby cononthebarber » Mon Jun 08, 2015 08:25

I'm going to try this recipe sounds nice and simple :thumb:

For anyone that's interested trying something a bit more complicated I have made THIS recipe a few times now. It really is gorgeous!

Getting ready for The Homebrew Festval 2017 - Click HERE for more info :thumb:
cononthebarber
Brewer

Postby Gunnar » Mon Jun 08, 2015 20:19

jkp wrote:
Gunnar wrote:I've had a variation of this fermenting for about 3 weeks, straight honey mead with blueberries. The color is a deep red and I am looking forward to the results!

That sounds great, pics would be good too though!

Was the rest of the recipe the same or did you leave out the orange and the spices? What about the yeast?

This isn't the best pic but it was soon after I pitched the yeast. The recipe was just honey, hot water, a bag of frozen blueberries and yeast.

Gunnar
Brewer

Postby Squiffy » Sun Jun 28, 2015 20:19

EvansTheSteam wrote:I like it JKP, well done!
I have my second mead fermenting at the moment, my third will be using "golden syrup".
Not tried adding any spices etc. yet, but may well do in the future.

Is it usual for golden syrup to take longer to incorporate and stay as a layer in the bottom longer than honey? I started a honey and a syrup mead at the same time and the syrup one still has a layer of syrup, I keep shaking but it keeps settling.
Squiffy
Brewer

Postby EvansTheSteam » Mon Jun 29, 2015 02:40

Sorry, can't help you Squiffy, I've not done mine yet!

Jim

Evanvine Brewery
EvansTheSteam
Steam Age Brewer

Postby Gunnar » Tue Jun 30, 2015 21:04

Squiffy wrote:
EvansTheSteam wrote:I like it JKP, well done!
I have my second mead fermenting at the moment, my third will be using "golden syrup".
Not tried adding any spices etc. yet, but may well do in the future.

Is it usual for golden syrup to take longer to incorporate and stay as a layer in the bottom longer than honey? I started a honey and a syrup mead at the same time and the syrup one still has a layer of syrup, I keep shaking but it keeps settling.

Yes this is normal, it happens with some of my Mead's but it will eventually be incorporated. If you are worried you can mark the current top of the honey layer using a marker and then check it a few days later. Odds are good you will see the layer drop as the yeast does its job.
Gunnar
Brewer

Previous