Joe's Ancient Orange Mead (JAOM)

Made a great wine or cider post the recipe here, want critique of a recipe, post it here

Joe's Ancient Orange Mead (JAOM)

Postby jkp » Mon Apr 28, 2014 07:22

It seems that every good brewing forum should have this easy mead recipe, so here it is:

Joe's Ancient Orange Mead

1 US gallon (3.79L) batch

* 3 1/2 lbs or 1.6 kg Clover or your choice honey or blend (will finish sweet)
* 1 Large orange (later cut in eights or smaller rind and all)
* 1 small handful of raisins (25 if you count but more or less ok)
* 1 stick of cinnamon
* 1 whole clove ( or 2 if you like - these are potent critters)
* optional (a pinch of nutmeg and allspice )( very small )
* 1 teaspoon of bread yeast ( now don't get holy on me--- after all this is an ancient mead and that's all we had back then)
* Balance water to one gallon

Process:

Use a clean 1 gallon carboy

Dissolve honey in some warm water and put in carboy

Wash orange well to remove any pesticides and slice in eights --add orange (you can push em through opening big boy -- rinds included -- its ok for this mead -- take my word for it -- ignore the experts)

Put in raisins, clove, cinnamon stick, any optional ingredients and fill to 3 inches from the top with cold water. ( need room for some foam -- you can top off with more water after the first few day frenzy)

Shake the heck out of the jug with top on, of course. This is your sophisticated aeration process.

When at room temperature in your kitchen. Put in 1 teaspoon of bread yeast. ( No you don't have to rehydrate it first-- the ancients didn't even have that word in their vocabulary-- just put it in and give it a gentle swirl or not)( the yeast can fight for their own territory)

Install water airlock. Put in dark place. It will start working immediately or in an hour. (Don't use grandma's bread yeast she bought years before she passed away in the 90's)( Wait 3 hours before you panic or call me) After major foaming stops in a few days add some water and then keep your hands off of it. (Don't shake it! Don't mess with them yeastees! Let them alone except its okay to open your cabinet to smell every once in a while.

Racking --- Don't you dare
additional feeding --- NO NO
More stirring or shaking -- Your not listening, don't touch

After 2 months and maybe a few days it will slow down to a stop and clear all by itself. (How about that) (You are not so important after all) Then you can put a hose in with a small cloth filter on the end into the clear part and siphon off the golden nectar. If you wait long enough even the oranges will sink to the bottom but I never waited that long. If it is clear it is ready. You don't need a cold basement. It does better in a kitchen in the dark. (like in a cabinet) likes a little heat (70-80). If it didn't work out... you screwed up and didn't read my instructions (or used grandma's bread yeast she bought years before she passed away) . If it didn't work out then take up another hobby. Mead is not for you. It is too complicated.

If you were successful, which I am 99% certain you will be, then enjoy your mead. When you get ready to make a different mead you will probably have to unlearn some of these practices I have taught you, but hey--- This recipe and procedure works with these ingredients so don't knock it. It was your first mead. It was my tenth. Sometimes, even the experts can forget all they know and make a good ancient mead.
jkp
Brewer

Re: Joe's Ancient Orange Mead (JAOM)

Postby jkp » Mon Apr 28, 2014 07:33

One thing to remember is that this recipe is for 1 US gallon, so you might want to scale it by ~1.3 to get an Imperial gallon or 5L. Having said that, with this amount of honey you will get quite a sweet mead, mine had an FG of 1.040 and is very sweet. Some like to simply add water up to an Imperial gal rather than US gal, keeping all the ingredients the same, in which case the mead may ferment dry and then need back sweetening as required. I think increasing the honey to about 1.8kg in one Imperial gal would give a nicer level of sweetness, but it also depends on how well your yeast does, so some experimenting may be required to get the level of sweetness you like.

Also some people have suggested juicing the oranges and cutting only the zest from the peel so that none of the bitter white flesh goes in.

Others have also changed the yeast from bread yeast to a mead yeast, but that's not totally in the spirit of this "make a mead from things you have in the kitchen" style recipe.

Last edited by jkp on Mon Apr 28, 2014 07:55, edited 1 time in total.
jkp
Brewer

Postby kentmark » Mon Apr 28, 2014 07:37

Nice simple guide and I love the humour! Might have to give this a go out of curiosity!
kentmark
Brewer

Postby jkp » Mon Apr 28, 2014 07:49

Now for a few pics.

First day, with everything already in the DJ,

After about 10 days, fermenting well,

After about 6 weeks and the fruit is starting to drop to the bottom of the DJ. I actually racked it off the fruit and yeast once all the fruit had dropped even though the recipe says not to,

After 2 months, it is very clear and ready to bottle. Racking it off the yeast made the bottling much easier because there wasn't much yeast left to disturb,
jkp
Brewer

Postby StevieDS » Mon Apr 28, 2014 09:35

I've a batch if this bulk conditioning at the moment, it's almost 6 months since I pitched so gonna bottle it soon then leave it till Christmas.
I was a bit dubious about the bread yeast but used it out of curiosity. It's actually really good now and hopefully it will improve with more aging :thumb:

"The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Planning: Brett Amarillo Smash
Fermenting: AG52 Brett Saison v2, AG41 Lambic v2.0
Conditioning: AG51 Brett Saison, AG48 Biere de Garde, AG42 Westvleteren XII Clone, AG29 Lambic v1.0
Drinking: AG51 Brett Saison v1, AG53 Standard Bitter
StevieDS
Brewer

Postby jkp » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:26

A lot of people say that the bread yeast actually works very well with the orange and spices in this recipe. Personally I didn't notice the yeast flavour at all.

This will be a perfect drink for Christmas, every time I open a bottle the smell reminds me of Christmas.
jkp
Brewer

Postby EvansTheSteam » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:42

I like it JKP, well done!
I have my second mead fermenting at the moment, my third will be using "golden syrup".
Not tried adding any spices etc. yet, but may well do in the future.

Evanvine Brewery
EvansTheSteam
Steam Age Brewer

Postby Scalli » Mon May 05, 2014 15:27

My good lady has just made this one today

Scalli
Brewer

Postby sam.k » Mon May 05, 2014 15:37

how do you get the oranges back out lol, I may kick one of these off soon.
sam.k
Brewer

Postby jkp » Mon May 05, 2014 15:44

I only put the juice + peel in rather than whole segments of orange. After two months fermenting the peel was soft and just slid out of the DJ along with the raisins, cloves and yeast slurry. It wasn't difficult to clean at all.
jkp
Brewer

Postby Gunnar » Sat May 31, 2014 07:52

I'm starting a batch of this today, looks awesome!

It's been a few hours and the fermentation has started slowly but steadily. Should I be concerned about a distinct separation between the water on top and the honey on the bottom? I aerated the mix well before setting it down but it has separated some. Newbie questions I know. Thanks in advance!
Gunnar
Brewer

Postby Gunnar » Wed Jun 04, 2014 13:11

To answer my own question, the honey layer at the bottom is getting smaller by the day. I mark the current level with a marker pen on the outside of the DJ and every few days there is a marked drop in the honey layer. This is looking great, it will be the longest brew length that I have tried, 2+ months. Will update later if anything interesting pops up!
Gunnar
Brewer

Postby jkp » Wed Jun 04, 2014 17:14

Can't say I noticed this happening when I made mine. Perhaps you didn't dissolve the honey well enough into the warm water? Or maybe the water wasn't warm enough.

Anyway it sounds like the action of the yeast is slowly mixing it up for you.

jkp
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Wed Jun 04, 2014 17:16

Rest assured that if there's sugar in the vessel, the yeast will inevitably find it. A gentle shake won't go amiss though.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby Gunnar » Wed Jun 04, 2014 21:49

God bless those yeasties, thanks for the reassurance.
Gunnar
Brewer

Postby Scalli » Wed Jun 11, 2014 21:15

6 weeks on and ours is still bubbling every few seconds with no signs of slowing down yet, hope its ready in time for christmas.
Scalli
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Wed Jun 11, 2014 21:57

It will be: Christmas 2016
oldbloke

Postby Gunnar » Fri Jun 13, 2014 13:37

Scalli wrote:6 weeks on and ours is still bubbling every few seconds with no signs of slowing down yet, hope its ready in time for christmas.

Mine is quite happy sitting doing it's thing, the fermentation is a lot slower now and there is a fair bit of sediment at the bottom of the DJ. The liquid is much clearer than it was a week ago.
Gunnar
Brewer

Postby jkp » Fri Jun 13, 2014 15:13

Scalli wrote:6 weeks on and ours is still bubbling every few seconds with no signs of slowing down yet, hope its ready in time for christmas.

Is it starting to clear at all? Has the fruit fallen to the bottom of the FV yet?

jkp
Brewer

Postby Scalli » Sat Jun 14, 2014 20:39

jkp wrote:

Is it starting to clear at all? Has the fruit fallen to the bottom of the FV yet?

No, all the fruit is still at the top, plenty of bubbles around the neck as well.
Scalli
Brewer

Postby EvansTheSteam » Sat Jun 14, 2014 21:16

My mead, just straight honey, has been fermenting for 16 weeks now and is still going!

Evanvine Brewery
EvansTheSteam
Steam Age Brewer

Postby Gunnar » Sun Jan 11, 2015 09:32

Reviving an old thread, I have been away for a while, brewed so much last year I had no space to store anymore so had the task of consuming/gifting about 150 bottles of different brews! First fermentation of 2015 is a straight honey mead, smells lovely when the air lock burps ;)
Gunnar
Brewer

Postby EvansTheSteam » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:57

I must admit I prefer the straight Meads.

Jim

Evanvine Brewery
EvansTheSteam
Steam Age Brewer

Postby Gr1nder3d » Sun Mar 29, 2015 20:34

Sorry to ask what may be a stupid question (but I'm new so I'm hoping it can be forgiven lol). . . What does racking it off the yeast mean and how do I do this? Thanks in advance :-)
Gr1nder3d
Brewer

Postby EvansTheSteam » Thu Apr 02, 2015 21:08

Welcome to the Forum Gr1nder3d!
Racking means drawing the fluid off the yeast cake so that the dead yeast cells cannot flavour the, in this case, Mead.

Jim

Evanvine Brewery
EvansTheSteam
Steam Age Brewer

Next