Mixed dried fruit wine

Made a great wine or cider post the recipe here, want critique of a recipe, post it here

Mixed dried fruit wine

Postby Brewtrog » Thu Aug 10, 2017 16:39

I bought 6 packs of mixed dried fruit (375g each) from macro for £5 (the retail box was shot). Looking for a recipe to brew them to and I found one in "do it yourself wine and beer making" (published 1975, not a clue who the author is)
The recipe is
Raisins 113g
Currants 113g
Sultanas 57g
Candied peel 57g
Whole wheat grains 454g
Sugar 1.36kg
I don't have any whole wheat grains sitting around, but I do have a load of pearl barley, does anyone know if that would work as a substitute?
Brewtrog
Brewer

Re: Mixed dried fruit wine

Postby Applesnmore » Thu Aug 10, 2017 16:53

Jack Keller's wine making website has several recipes that contain wheat. It appears to be there for flavour rather than for fermentable sugar.
So pearl barley? Don't know if it's a substitute but will give a flavour just like lemon and barley cordial. Except to make that you boil the barley first. Which gives the cordial the haze....All that starch knocking around. So I wouldn't boil it first.
Be good to hear how it goes

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Applesnmore
Brewer

Re: Mixed dried fruit wine

Postby HLA91 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 05:36

Pearl barley should work fine. Soak it overnight and try to crush it a tad to help release some flavour. You will need to include some Amylase to help clear the starch haze, this will also convert some of the starch into sugars which the yeast can then use. Grains also give a wine added body.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
HLA91
Brewer