Banana wine

Made a great wine or cider post the recipe here, want critique of a recipe, post it here

Banana wine

Postby BIGJIM72 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:05

Default Banana wine
Made up a batch before Xmas based around this recipe

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request177.asp

BANANA WINE [DRY]

4 1/2 lbs peeled bananas
1/2 lb banana skins
1 1/2 cups (12 oz) white grape concentrate
1 3/4 lbs finely granulated sugar
2 tsp citric acid
1/8 tsp grape tannin
6 1/2 pts water
1 tsp yeast nutrient
white wine yeast

Mash the bananas and finely chop the skins, placing both in primary. Meanwhile, bring water to boil and in it dissolve sugar completely. Pour water over fruit and skins and cover primary. When cool, add all remaining ingredients except yeast and stir well to dissolve. Add activated yeast and recover primary. Ferment vigorously for two days and strain through muslin into secondary. Attach airlock and ferment to dryness. Rack, top up, and refit airlock. Allow 90 days for wine to clear. If it does not clear on its own, add amylase according to its instructions. When clear, rack again, top up and refit airlock. Age 2 months, stabilize, and refit airlock. After final 30 days, rack into bottles and allow 3 months rest before drinking. [Author's own recipe]

Didn't take any notes at the time-but know for a fact there would have been strong tea used for the tannin & some apple juice rather than WGJ concentrate.TBH I had so many over ripe bananas it was unreal-somewhere around 10-15 kg. There may also have been some back sweetening. It has been fined & racked a couple of times & is now about 3 months old. It is by far & away one of the nicest fruit wines I have ever made & strongly recommend having a go.

There was an odd,funky taste when young that I can only put down to using the skins,but that fades in time. The author of the above recipe suggests leaving for 6 months-not going to happen-its too good now!

I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Brewing,baking & grilling up a storm in South London
BIGJIM72
Brewer

Re: Banana wine

Postby oldbloke » Sat Aug 09, 2014 21:53

I had a go at banana, but being unsure if I'd like the flavour I deliberately went for very strong so I'd be able to sip it as a sort of liqueur or spritzer it with something to mod the taste.
Turned out quite nice, slightly oily texture you get with some liqueurs but not unpleasantly so, flavour itself OK. Will probably have a go at normal strength banana sometime.
Here's what I did:

2014-03-27 2kg bananas [topped and tailed] thinly sliced (5 with skin still on) into bucket; 1lb sugar and 1lb tin golden syrup dissolved in about 1l boiled water, added to bucket; 1.5l purple grape juice to bucket; Filled to a couple of inches off top; Campdened
2014-02-28 2tsp acid mix; 1/4 tsp grape tannin; 1 tsp amylase; 1 tsp pectolase; 1 tsp yeast nutrient; Half sachet Gervin GV4
2014-03-31 Sieved to demi; Added 500g sugar dissolved in about 3/4l boiled water; Total sugar now approx 1650g (->16.5%)
2014-04-03 Added 350g sugar in 3/4l water
2014-05-28 Clear, still going very slowly. Hydrometer says 1018, very sweet, reasonable flavour, slightly oily, sensation of being strong. Figures suggest 17.8 or 17.9
2014-06-12 Now sweet rather than sickly. Still going slowly....
2014-06-20 Racked onto stabiliser. 1014, possibly - would be 20% but more than 4.5l and sampling losses. A bit of fiddling in Excel suggests 20%+
2014-06-23 Bottled. Lush, in it's own idiosyncratic way!
oldbloke

Postby divingdavey » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:49

I got some Banana wine on the go over the weekend using this recipe from a forum I used to visit:

What you need

4 lbs. peeled, chopped bananas (about 15-20 bananas)
juice of 2 lemons or 2 tsp. citric acid blend
1/4 to 1/2 lb. of chopped banana skins (4-5 skins)
1 gallon water
2 lbs. sugar
1 tsp. yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
white wine yeast (used K1V)

Method

Peel bananas, chop bananas and skins, add to stock pot. Add water. Add lemon juice or acid blend. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes. Let cool to room temp. This extracts tannins, sugars, flavor, and kills of wild yeasts. Add pectic enzyme, let sit overnight.

Next day, strain out the pulp/skins. Add sugar and nutrient, stirring well to make sure everything is dissolved. Add wine yeast, place in sanitized fermentor with an airlock, and voila!

This wine can take a long time to clear, just be patient. Bottle age for one year, if you can wait.

I also added some Amylase as I seem to recall Banana's having a fair bit of starch in them but I might be wrong.

It's going like a lava lamp now so fingers crossed.
divingdavey
Brewer

Postby divingdavey » Tue Mar 10, 2015 13:07

I bottled this at the weekend and it's rather nice, although clearly wants keeping for a while - I'll try to give it twelve months. The taste of banana is quite apparent.
divingdavey
Brewer

Postby divingdavey » Fri Aug 14, 2015 18:07

I've just picked up 3kg of bananas from Tesco for 58p so I'm going to get a batch on according to Big Jim's reciepe over the weekend :clap:

1/8 tsp of grape tannin though, is it worth it/needed?

Cheers :cheers:
divingdavey
Brewer

Postby BIGJIM72 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 18:19

divingdavey wrote:I've just picked up 3kg of bananas from Tesco for 58p so I'm going to get a batch on according to Big Jim's reciepe over the weekend :clap:

1/8 tsp of grape tannin though, is it worth it/needed?

Cheers :cheers:

Mug of strong tea will do it. The last batch I made could have been back sweetened a little more,but all in all not a bad white.

I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Brewing,baking & grilling up a storm in South London
BIGJIM72
Brewer

Postby divingdavey » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:57

That batch has finished now but has a really thick lees... Any idea on what's good to top it up with when racking?

I'm going to leave it a couple of weeks in the hope that the lees compacts.
divingdavey
Brewer

Postby wildbrew » Mon Oct 26, 2015 19:09

BANANA WINE 1 GALLON RECIPE

ingredients.
2Kg-bananas.
500Gm-banana skins.
1Lt-white grape juice.
1-lemon ( juice only )
1kl-sugar.
Half tsp-tannin powder.
1.tsp-yeast compound.
1.tsp-pectic enzyme.
2.tbl-glycerine( to taste )
1.tbl-finings.

METHOD
place the bananas and the peel into a cloth bag and put the bag,
tied up, into a large saucepan with water. Bring to the boil, then
gently simmer for half an hour. Pour the hot liquor over the sugar
and stir until the sugar is dissolved, and when the cloth bag is
cool, squeeze and press it to extract as much liquor as possible. and When the
liquor is cool add the grape juice, lemon juice, tannin powder , pectic enzyme
and the yeast compound to the demijohn top up with cold water then fit the airlock and fully ferment out.
Rack and add finings when clear, after about 7 days rack again add glycerine to taste, and leave to mature for at least 12 months. :cheers1:

Keep the DJs airlocks bubbling & the real Ale barrels rolling :clap: :drink:
wildbrew
Brewer