How To deal with ‘Stuck’ fermentations

Postby Moley » Wed Jul 23, 2014 15:00

Mixing up a starter bottle can be a good way to give any new fermentation a headstart.

Take something like a pasteurised milk bottle (ideal as it will accept a bung and airlock) or a 500ml or litre PET bottle, put in about half a pint (or 250ml) of water with just a couple of tablespoonfuls of granulated sugar and a pinch of citric acid or a splash of orange juice, add some yeast nutrients, pitch your yeast, fit an airlock or plug with cotton wool and leave it in a warm place for a few hours. This can then be added to a new must.

To restart a stuck fermentation or get a troublesome wine going (e.g. cordials or Vimto), make up a starter bottle as above. You may need to wash and sterilise a range of bottles, say a pint milk bottle and a 2 litre pop bottle. Give it a good 12 hours to get started.

After that 12 hours, add half a pint (or 250ml) of your stuck or problem must, refit airlock or cotton wool plug, leave in a warm place.

After a further 12-24 hours that should be fermenting nicely, add a pint (or 500ml) of your stuck or problem must, refit airlock or cotton wool plug, leave in a warm place.

After a further 12-24 hours that should be fermenting nicely, add 2 pints (or 1 litre) of your stuck or problem must, refit airlock or cotton wool plug, leave in a warm place.

You should have the idea by now, double, double, double until it's all going.
Moley

Re: How To deal with ‘Stuck’ fermentations

Postby Gorty » Fri Oct 24, 2014 00:36

I agree completely with everything Moley says.
If I might be bold enough to add to 'The Master's' thoughts ... back in a former life, before I became waylaid by the evil emperors of the supermarket wine aisles, I too had the misfortune to be afflicted by the dreaded,...... Oh Lord Forgive me for this utterance of 'That Which Should not be Named' but I was struck down by the dreaded Stuck Ferment!!!!!
In desperation at the ensuing loss of all that was dear to me I consulted the Oracle at the Local Home Brew Shoppe Where I was introduced by the local 'High Priest of the Fermentation Arts' to the Alchemy of yeast nutrients. Particularly to 'The Enforcer' of yeast nutrients .... unknown to your humble brewer, and as sceptical as I was of 'The Alchemy' I succumbed and purchased a small quantity of 'The Enforcer' (gulp! What had I done!!!)
So I proceeded back to my humble domain with 'The Enforcer' secreted upon my person and descended into the bowels of the earth to release this terrible beast.
When after much thought and intrepidation and prayer for my loved ones I released 'The Enforcer' from it's cage and introduced to 'That Which Should not be Named'. After a momentous and titanic struggle 'The Enforcer' proved victorious and 'That Which Should not be Named' was no more! We held a period of thanksgiving and racking off then a time of great merriment and imbibement ensued!
I speak of the God 'Tronozymol' forged in the belly of Semtex from the union with C4 and all but guaranteed to restart a stuck ferment or prevent it!
Basically it's damn good stuff!

Buy wisely, brew carefully, drink copiously and stuff the rest!

Fermenting:

25L The Range 'MYO' Red.
25L The Range 'MYO' White.
5L 'WOW' Pineapple.
5L 'WOW' Blueberry.
5L 'WOW' Pomegranate.
5L 'WOW' Mango.

Clearing:

25L The Range 'MYO' Red.
5L 'WOW' Orange 2nd attempt.
5L 'WOW' Ribena.

Bottled:

5L 'WOW' First attempt.
5L 'WOW' Cranberry.
5L 'WOW' Apple.
5L 'WOW' Pomegranate.

Drinking:

25L The Range 'MYO' white.
25L The Range 'MYO' Red.
Gorty
Brewer

Postby Moley » Fri Oct 24, 2014 08:35

You have quite a way with words :clap:

In summary ..... Tron rocks :thumb:
Moley

Postby Gorty » Fri Oct 24, 2014 09:56

Thanks Moley, it's surprising what a few glasses of the red stuff can do!

Buy wisely, brew carefully, drink copiously and stuff the rest!

Fermenting:

25L The Range 'MYO' Red.
5L 'WOW' Pineapple.
5L 'WOW' Blueberry.
5L 'WOW' Pomegranate.
5L 'WOW' Mango.

Clearing:

25L The Range 'MYO' Red.
5L 'WOW' Orange 2nd attempt.
5L 'WOW' Ribena.