How to degas wine the easy way.

Postby Chippy_Tea » Fri May 09, 2014 20:51

How to degas wine the easy way using a home made degassing wand and a cordless/corded drill.

There are two different types of wand in this guide, the first is a little harder to make as it involves drilling and finding a non ferrous screw, the second in the video below is made using hot water to bend it into shape.

The how to bit -

Cut the long bottom piece off the coat hanger (as shown in the video) and cut a short piece out of the side (smaller than the diameter of a DJ)

Drill a small hole near to the end of the long piece and insert a non ferrous screw (this screw must be shorter than the diameter of your DJ neck) then drill a slightly larger hole in the centre of the small part (paddle) you cut earlier, the paddle must be able to slide along the screw without gripping it, get a small wall plug and screw it onto the screw until it just about touches the paddle but not enough to grip it, cut the excess off so it is flush with the end of the screw.

You should now be able to spin the small piece (paddle) like a wind mill.

To use turn the small piece so it is in-line with the long shaft (first picture below) that comes out of the drill chuck and slide it into the neck of the DJ, when the drill spins the small "paddle" moves to a horizontal position (picture 2) this is a big improvement on the original and you don't have to guess the angles to get the best performance. :thumb:

Last edited by Chippy_Tea on Thu May 22, 2014 12:44, edited 1 time in total.

Supermarket Juice Wine Recipes and Wurzels Orange Wine (WOW) here - viewtopic.php?f=19&t=57
Chippy_Tea
Brewer

Re: How to degas wine the easy way.

Postby EvansTheSteam » Sat May 10, 2014 09:13

Nice informative post and video CT!
Just be careful when using the vacuum that it doesn't over heat!
There will be no airflow to keep the motor cool.

Evanvine Brewery
EvansTheSteam
Steam Age Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Sat May 10, 2014 09:52

I've seen that video lots of times but never watched it to the end, never noticed the hoover trick before. Think ill stick with my wand and drill as it makes light enough work anyway....... Although after looking at chippys design i need to make some amendments! Mine is currently a pain getting in and out of the fv!

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Chippy_Tea » Sat May 10, 2014 10:55

EvansTheSteam wrote:Nice informative post and video CT!
Just be careful when using the vacuum that it doesn't over heat!
There will be no airflow to keep the motor cool.

Thanks.

I have never used any of the other methods the guy discusses, i would be wary of using a vacuum especially on today's thin walled DJ's, i don't know if a vacuum cleaner could cause enough of a vacuum to crack a DJ or worse but i will leave that to someone else to try.

Supermarket Juice Wine Recipes and Wurzels Orange Wine (WOW) here - viewtopic.php?f=19&t=57
Chippy_Tea
Brewer

Postby stuart180 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 07:55

Used that guys trick of turning a coat hanger into a degassing rod.

Turned out well and seemed to do a good job.
stuart180
Brewer