Re: How to make your first Wurzel's Orange Wine

Postby krazypara3165 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:04

stuart180 wrote:Ah darn!
Will have to get some on order then.
Not sure what was going on with my local wilkos as their selection was terrible (hardly any materials or ingredients in there at all)

I got caught out last week, my wilkos have stopped doing the wine yeast in a packet! They now supply it pre mixed with nutrient in a tub usually mixed in amongst the pectolase, citric acid, nutrient ect.....

This is the one,
http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-accessori ... vt/0351556

Then again, they could have neither in!
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Moley » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:38

krazypara3165 wrote:I got caught out last week, my wilkos have stopped doing the wine yeast in a packet!

What, this one?

If you order online then you can collect from your nearest store with no delivery charges, but my local branch usually stocks that Gervin Universal, and it's what I now use for the vast majority of my wines. I've bought some in the last month.

Edit: I've just noticed they say ”Sufficient for 4.54 litres, 1 gallon. Always read label.”
What a load of twaddle, my standard batches are 15 litres but it's certainly good for 5 gallons. Then again, I've obviously never read the label.
Moley

Postby stuart180 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 14:27

krazypara3165 wrote:
stuart180 wrote:Ah darn!
Will have to get some on order then.
Not sure what was going on with my local wilkos as their selection was terrible (hardly any materials or ingredients in there at all)

I got caught out last week, my wilkos have stopped doing the wine yeast in a packet! They now supply it pre mixed with nutrient in a tub usually mixed in amongst the pectolase, citric acid, nutrient ect.....

This is the one,
http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-accessori ... vt/0351556

Then again, they could have neither in!

I think mine must be the same. A few months ago in there they had a brilliant selection but now it seems have fizzled out and it now just a small selections of odds and sods (I found the pectolase in with the yeast nutrient). Hopefully they are just running down the old stock before filling it all back up again.

I couldn't even see the slot for the wine yeast anymore so maybe they are not going to sell it in store anymore.
I couldn't see that alternative sort either (I had a really good look through their stuff that was left).

Ordered some online now from a homebrew shop.
Pain really as wilkos is only down the road from where I work so it was always handy.... I guess I will have to be less impulsive and actually plan my brews now! :D
stuart180
Brewer

Postby Kermie » Wed Apr 22, 2015 13:55

The wilko yeast in a packet is still on the website.
Kermie
Brewer

Postby Cider-Sim » Tue Sep 20, 2016 19:05

Brilliant thread and explained in layman terms for a total brewing newbie like me :notworthy: i got most of what was needed from Wilkos and the rest from my LHBS...
I went with the idea of using red grape juice instead of white as red is a bit more sweeter tasting and i am not keen of dry wines .
Anyway all mixed up and in a nice clean sterile demijohn and bubbling away , pitched yeast in at 19 c and on newspapers just in case it does get lively :rofl: save " her indoors " getting on her high horse :nono:
Will do a few pics when it has fermented fully and i transfer and stabilize etc.
Cider-Sim
Brewer

Postby Cider-Sim » Fri Sep 30, 2016 14:33

Reracked Stabilised ..jpg
Reracked Stabilised ..jpg (68.18 KiB) Viewed 757 times
Took this this off the sediment this morning into a sterilized demijohn with a crushed campden tablet, degassed several times and added a teaspoon of wine stabilizer . Loved how fruity and fresh it smells , and quite chuffed so far at my first attempt at brewing a wine.
Going to see if it clears on its own now if not i,ll add some finings .
Cider-Sim
Brewer

Postby Springer » Fri Sep 30, 2016 18:25

I have brewed a WO in the past, but more of a beer man myself. It came out really well, tasted fine to me but Mrs. S is used to Laithwaites wines :shock: :roll: :lol: she is expensive to run, but worth every penny :D
Anyway, if you are pleased now wait until it clears. :D
S
Springer
Brewer

Postby Cider-Sim » Fri Sep 30, 2016 20:50

Springer wrote: but Mrs. S is used to Laithwaites wines :shock: :roll: :lol: she is expensive to run, but worth every penny :D
Anyway, if you are pleased now wait until it clears. :D
S

:shock: I get the picture :lol: :lol:
and yeah im looking forward to seeing this orange wine clearing, hoping it will have a look of a Rose.. :cheers1:
Cider-Sim
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Sat Oct 01, 2016 00:45

We're in the Sunday Times wine club, and I suspect they're all the same club really. We get a case of mixed reds once a quarter and an extra case at Christmas.
We used to have one of mine with Sunday dinner, and pick holes in it, then in the evening have a wine club one and suddenly realise my stuff isn't so bad, actually.
For a quick and easy wine that might make your missus change her mind, try one of the teabag ones.
Also there was a recipe around recently that was basically a load of red grape juice, some apple juice, and a bit of tannin and tartaric. WWhoeveer posted it said his missus won't drink anything else now!
oldbloke

Postby Springer » Sat Oct 01, 2016 08:52

oldbloke wrote:We're in the Sunday Times wine club, and I suspect they're all the same club really. We get a case of mixed reds once a quarter and an extra case at Christmas.
We used to have one of mine with Sunday dinner, and pick holes in it, then in the evening have a wine club one and suddenly realise my stuff isn't so bad, actually.
For a quick and easy wine that might make your missus change her mind, try one of the teabag ones.
Also there was a recipe around recently that was basically a load of red grape juice, some apple juice, and a bit of tannin and tartaric. WWhoeveer posted it said his missus won't drink anything else now!

Thanks for that OB, yes we think they are all one source. :hmm: i will have a go at some more wine for Mrs. S. I can always drink it if she turns her nose up again. :) Could save me alot of money. :lol:
teabags :hmm: .................... there's a problem "we" only have leaves. :|
Mind you my mate has bags especially for me, cos I couldn't take any more of his ground coffee like a drop of weasel hiss in a litre, only guessing there, :lol:
S
Springer
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Sat Oct 01, 2016 13:27

Ah it's fruit teabags, not tea teabags. A whole pack, to get flavour, plus some apple juice, some grape juice, um... recipe's on here somewhere
oldbloke

Previous