Harris Cabernet Sauvignon

Made a great kit, tell us about it, made something not so great from a kit, warn the rest of us.

Harris Cabernet Sauvignon

Postby bobsbeer » Tue Apr 15, 2014 22:49

Started this 30 bottle kit on 18 November 2011

OG: 1.070
FG: .992

Bottled: 14 April 2012
29 Bottles
The kit contains:
5.5 lt of concentrated grape juice in a sturdy plastic container rather than the often seen plastic bag. It also has a packet of yeast and nutrient combined. A packet of stabiliser and a two part fining sachet.
The kit states that it makes 22.5 lts of wine. I made this up to the required volume and tested the SG which was 1.070. The temp was 14 C, but this seemed fairly consistent with most kits. I pitched the yeast at this temp and was surprised that within a couple of hours it started to ferment. The packet of yeast doesn’t indicate the strain, but obviously works.

This finished fermenting at .992 and was racked and stopped on 4/12/11 and left to clear. I racked it again on 7/1/12 and it is now bulk maturing. The colour was a nice deep red and it tasted nice. This should be a nice fruity dry red once it has matured for a couple of months.

Had a sample bottle on 14/4/12. Still slightly tannic but very nice. This wine will be good to mature for a few months yet. For the price this is a very good kit and one I will make again.
bobsbeer
Brewer

Re: Harris Cabernet Sauvignon

Postby Brewedout » Sat May 17, 2014 00:03

I second this wine kit, always have some in stock makes a good drink for a decent price :thumb:

Got to love Harris Homebrew :clap:
Brewedout
Brewer