Wine Expert Eclipse Lodi Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon

Made a great kit, tell us about it, made something not so great from a kit, warn the rest of us.

Wine Expert Eclipse Lodi Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon

Postby bobsbeer » Tue Jun 09, 2015 18:57

I started this kit in May 2014 racked it in July and bottled it today, so just over a year maturing. This was the first kit I have made that came with a grape skin pack, and boy does it make a difference to the body. This is a full bodied wine with tannins to spare. It was a 23lt kit and I ended up with 29 bottles which is usual, at just over 13% ABV. The colour is dense, with a lovely bouquet. Very rich wine with overtones of cherry, blackcurrant and full on oak. The kit comes with 3 bags of Hungarian oak so if you don't like full on oakiness you could reduce it. It may improve with another year of maturing to mellow the tannins a bit. This was the most expensive kit I have tried. Over £100 so it should be good. This is certainly a commercial quality wine.
bobsbeer
Brewer

Re: Wine Expert Eclipse Lodi Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon

Postby ross » Tue Jun 09, 2015 21:56

Sounds like it should be great it a couple of years, if it lasts that long...

Just out of interest, how did you get the grape skins out of the pack? I did my first batch with skins (WE LE Super Tuscan) the other day and, not wanting to waste any, I spent bloody ages trying to get the skins out. They did taste delicious though.
ross
Brewer