Ritchies on the rocks cider kit - Mixed berries

Made a great kit, tell us about it, made something not so great from a kit, warn the rest of us.

Ritchies on the rocks cider kit - Mixed berries

Postby krazypara3165 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 13:15

I bought this kit back in February after the general consensus of it being a really good kit.

Made pretty much as per instructions. Made the wort with bottled water, added sugar, then pitched yeast. fermented down to around 1012. (need to check notes)

It was left for two weeks in primary and then moved to secondary into the cold shed to assist with clearing (cleared very well)

One thing i did pick up on was the sulphur smell whilst fermenting....... it was strong!. after a few weeks in the bottle it has died down a tad but I can still smell it.

so far it tastes a little thin..... not much body. I am hoping that will get better but I shall see. Going to compare it with a bottle of mixed berries koppaberg this weekend to see what if anything is missing so will post my results next week.

Its defiantly a nice drink I just think it could do with more time which I am more than happy to give it :)

I may try another one and brew it short to see the difference. keep tuned and i will post my updates! :)

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Re: Ritchies on the rocks cider kit - Mixed berries

Postby krazypara3165 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 17:02

6 months on has really rounded it off nicely! sulphur twang has gone and I can polish off a few bottles they go down that easily! :)

Kegged:

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby MrBoy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:13

How well does the yeast stick to the bottle? The cider kit I did, the yeast was very loose and it's much more obvious if you get some of it in the glass with a cider.
MrBoy
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:59

They were in dark bottles so I could not see the yeast, I poured carefully and did not see any so must of compacted well enough.

Kegged:

Bottled:

Maturing:

Next Up:
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby MrBoy » Tue Mar 22, 2016 22:42

I've got the blueberry one fermenting now. I brewed it short to 17L but added no sugar - I want a more intense blueberry note after my last fruit cider kit has no fruit taste at all, but lower ABV of ~4%. 17L was a bit of a guess, I may add a bunch of sugar if it ends up TOO low.

This kit came with apple juice and blueberry flavouring separate (unlike my other kit) and says the blueberry only goes in right at the end.
MrBoy
Brewer