Beaverdale Rojo Tinto

Made a great kit, tell us about it, made something not so great from a kit, warn the rest of us.

Beaverdale Rojo Tinto

Postby pixel » Mon Apr 07, 2014 21:30

I have just bottled this in mid March (or rather transferred it to a 20 litre plastic box...).

Originally written mid March 2014:

I started it on 17 feb and racked it initially last weekend, so just under a month. this in a room kept at about 21 degrees with a thermostat elecrtic heater.

I took a bottle round to my brother's and his wife, we managed to finish it off v quickly. Good feedback.

Very drinkable, the interesting thing is to compare it with the Wineworks superior Rioja I did 6 weeks ago or so (review on this site)

It has a much fuller flavour, less fruity, more 'wine' like than the wineworks if you know what I mean. The Beaverdale has some depth, a finish to the taste, unlike the Wineworks. Would be believeable that I bought this from the supermarket, unlike the wineworks (certainly in the first week after racking)

I do find it a little sweeter than I would like.

It is very smooth and has a depth of flavour the wineworks lacked. Also the 'acetone' smell is not present at all with the Beaverdale - and this ties in to my recollections of some beaverdale Rioja my mate date a few months ago. Perhaps this means the yeast is a better variety?

It is only early days, aged a week or so in the fermenter. But I suspect that it will mature very nicely over the next few weeks into a more complex and rewarding wine than the wineworks.

In some ways I preferred the wineworks (lighter, fruitier) but this is clearly a more quality product (no acetone, more depth).

I think that on balance the Wineworks is probably better if you are looking for a wine that is good and drinkable without aging, whilst you pay a little more for the Beaverdale but get a much more complex and interesting wine but which needs some ageing, i.e. a month or six.

But I will continue to update.
pixel
Brewer

Re: Beaverdale Rojo Tinto

Postby VIGNERON » Sun May 25, 2014 14:31

I just started a 30 bottle Beaversdale Rojo Tinto yesterday. Did you rack it at SG 1010 or leave it to ferment completely?
VIGNERON
Brewer

Postby GAZ9053 » Mon May 26, 2014 11:54

I've found this to be a very drinkable wine and will do another one.

First BIAB 15.03.15
First Grainfather 22.12.15

My kit wine how-to
GAZ9053
Brewer

Postby VIGNERON » Mon May 26, 2014 17:50

Mine is bubbling away nicely at 20 Degrees. One question I have is what have you all found is the best thing to do when it comes to SG 1010 - Rack it or wait until it ferments fully then rack?
VIGNERON
Brewer

Postby GAZ9053 » Mon May 26, 2014 18:00

I missed the 1.010 so just left it to finish then racked it

First BIAB 15.03.15

My kit wine how-to
GAZ9053
Brewer

Postby VIGNERON » Mon May 26, 2014 18:51

GAZ9053 wrote:I missed the 1.010 so just left it to finish then racked it

Cheers Gaz
VIGNERON
Brewer

Postby GAZ9053 » Mon May 26, 2014 18:59

Most of mine these days get 2 weeks primary then racked into secondary

First BIAB 15.03.15

My kit wine how-to
GAZ9053
Brewer

Postby VIGNERON » Mon May 26, 2014 22:02

GAZ9053 wrote:Most of mine these days get 2 weeks primary then racked into secondary

Cheers Gaz
VIGNERON
Brewer

Postby VIGNERON » Sat Jun 21, 2014 22:52

My Beaverdale Rojo Tinto is now currently in a cool place clearing.
VIGNERON
Brewer

Postby VIGNERON » Mon Jun 23, 2014 20:29

The instructions state the wine clears in 3 to 7 days but in practice how long does the Rojo Tino take to clear. Mine is currently in a cool place aka garage. The Chitosan was added Friday afternoon past 4 days ago but the wine does not seem to be clear yet???????
VIGNERON
Brewer

Postby pixel » Mon Jun 23, 2014 21:49

Vigneron, I would not worry about it too much. I have added both finings together at the same time and they cleared fine.

Generally I find they clear in a few days, but if it takes longer it will still clear eventually. My understanding is that a wine can clear by itself but this can take weeks, and so finings simply speed up the process.

When you say clear, it may be dark but that does not mean not clear. If you hold it to the light and then look at it at an angle, if you can see through the wine and it looks non muddy then it may be clear. try putting a small amount in a glass and swirling it round.

Anyway, end of the day, leaving it for another week just means one less week you need to age it bottled :-)
pixel
Brewer

Postby VIGNERON » Wed Jun 25, 2014 17:52

pixel wrote:Vigneron, I would not worry about it too much. I have added both finings together at the same time and they cleared fine.

Generally I find they clear in a few days, but if it takes longer it will still clear eventually. My understanding is that a wine can clear by itself but this can take weeks, and so finings simply speed up the process.

When you say clear, it may be dark but that does not mean not clear. If you hold it to the light and then look at it at an angle, if you can see through the wine and it looks non muddy then it may be clear. try putting a small amount in a glass and swirling it round.

Anyway, end of the day, leaving it for another week just means one less week you need to age it bottled :-)

Thanks Pixel :D
VIGNERON
Brewer

Postby pixel » Wed Jun 25, 2014 22:24

you are welcome!

Also, I have now finished the last of the Rioja. After a couple of months it develops into a much more traditional Rioja wine, with the classic rioja flavour, slightly reddy-Brown in colour, quite light, and some of the sweetness fades away.

this is good and bad. good to see that it certainly is the rioja grape and developed complexity, but bad in that it was perhaps too light in flavour - though it was only aged a couple months, so perhaps this develops more in time - though I am not planning on keeping my HB longer than 6-12 months tops ( a small flat!)

V Happy I bought it, and will likely buy again once I have worked my way through the various Beaverdale and California Conniseur reds!

p.s. I recommend the Beaverdale Merlot, after a month or so was v nice indeed.
pixel
Brewer

Postby VIGNERON » Thu Jun 26, 2014 13:37

Thanks again Pixel. I will certainly give the Beaverdale Merlot a go.
VIGNERON
Brewer

Postby VIGNERON » Mon Jun 30, 2014 19:51

Just bottled mine. Tastes not too bad at present. I can't wait to try it in a few months time :D
VIGNERON
Brewer

Postby Kermie » Wed Jul 02, 2014 13:46

Mine is still fermenting. It will be almost Christmas before it is ready to drink!
Kermie
Brewer

Postby VIGNERON » Thu Jul 03, 2014 20:14

Kermie wrote:Mine is still fermenting. It will be almost Christmas before it is ready to drink!

Thats when mine is planned for drinking :D
VIGNERON
Brewer

Postby Kermie » Sat Nov 15, 2014 19:11

The other half and I tried a bottle after 2 months, very nice indeed. Andy said that it was better than some of the stuff i had bought from the supermarket previously. Tried another bottle after 3 months and it is just getting better! Think I might get a 30 bottle kit once I have drunk some of the other wine I have 'maturing' as I am running out of space!
Kermie
Brewer

Postby Kermie » Fri Jan 23, 2015 08:51

We finished off the last bottle the other night - 4 months in - and I was rather pleased with the result. The other half said it was "as good as a decent bottle of supermarket wine" :thumb:
Kermie
Brewer