Bulldog - Mixed Berries Cider

Made a great kit, tell us about it, made something not so great from a kit, warn the rest of us.

Bulldog - Mixed Berries Cider

Postby JDGBrew » Sat May 24, 2014 22:03

So, after debating a mixed fruit cider kit for a while (well, one for the missus mainly :whistle: )
and looking into TC recipes etc, I decided to go with something easy to chuck together instead of forking out experimenting hence the Bulldog Brews Mixed Berries Kit!
This was mainly due to the bloody good reviews of their other kits. Being the Evil Dog DIP & Raja's Reward IPA!

I haven't seen any reviews on this particular kit yet so thought it would be a good idea to get the ball rolling for everyone

***I put this together earlier on today so I will update this thread as the kit progresses***

What you get for your hard earned cash....
3kg Fruit Concentrate (Aromatic apple concentrate, delicately flavoured with raspberry and blueberry)
Yeast/Sweetener Sachet (Wouldn't mind some clarity on this if anyone can shed some light?)
Instructions - (Still very optimistic IMO)
***Apple not included! Was me snack during brewing***

Topped the old wort up to 20L (Used 2.5L of hot water, 1L of which was used to clean out the juice bag)

Pitched yeast (& sweetener?)...

Starting Gravity Reading of 1034

Chucked under me stairs for three weeks (will be sitting at 19-19.5oC)

Got the missus involved with this one, as it's mainly being brewed for our wedding in august.
She thought the OG sample tasted bloody marvellous & honestly it did shock me! Really fruity and fresh tasting! Great idea with the juice bag! No more ferking tins to burn me hands on!

I'll leave this for three weeks under me stairs and will continue to update the thread as I progress with the kit.

Cheers :cheers:

Last edited by JDGBrew on Sat May 24, 2014 22:10, edited 1 time in total.

'I saw one guy loose a tooth lunging for a foaming mug and miss judging it'- Aleman

FV1 - Coopers Aus Lager (Raspberry)
FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg2 - Citra Wherry (left over from wedding......I didn't hide it?!)
Keg3 - Empty
Conditioning - Brewferm Grand Cru - Razorback - Youngs IPA 7.5%! Citra/Centennial Wilkos Golden Ale. Brewferm Tarwebier w/orange & coriander. Rioja 25 bottles
JDGBrew
Brewer

Re: Bulldog - Mixed Berries Cider

Postby Joe1002 » Sat May 24, 2014 22:10

The sweetener will be just that. It will be non fermentable (like Splenda etc) and add...yup you guessed it, sweetness :thumb:

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Joe1002

Re: Re: Bulldog - Mixed Berries Cider

Postby JDGBrew » Sat May 24, 2014 22:15

Thanks for that :thumb:
I did think it could be a form of Splenda but thought that stuff is slightly fermentable?

'I saw one guy loose a tooth lunging for a foaming mug and miss judging it'- Aleman

FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg3 - Empty
Conditioning - Brewferm Grand Cru - Razorback - Youngs IPA 7.5%! Citra/Centennial Wilkos Golden Ale. Brewferm Tarwebier w/orange & coriander. Rioja 25 bottles
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby itbrvilla » Tue May 27, 2014 08:13

My LHBS said they've had nothing but good feedback for these kits. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.
itbrvilla
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Wed May 28, 2014 19:33

Sounds promising! :thumb:

Still bubbling like a good'un from Saturday!

Hopefully it's gets down to 1.000, should give me around 4.3% then.

FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg3 - Empty
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby Quensabob » Wed May 28, 2014 20:46

This is an interesting thread as I have one of these ready to go on Friday!!!
Quensabob
Brewer

Postby andy.m.7374 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 16:22

Any updates on this? Curious to see how this has turned out :)

Using Tapatalk
andy.m.7374
Brewer

Postby Quensabob » Wed Jun 18, 2014 21:46

Mine was bottled today after 2 weeks fermenting and then leaving for a week! It takes great so far,quite sweet but not too much!!!
Quensabob
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Thu Jun 19, 2014 21:10

Just trying to find me pics.
Left it in the FV for three weeks.
Smelt great going in, got the sulphur smell after 5 days then faded after another 5.
Managed to get 39 500ml bottles from brewing it short. Not bad!
There was a slight (and I mean slight) sulphur smell on botting day.
Used me new little bottler.... Why didn't I buy one sooner!!!
That was Saturday so going to leave it two weeks to carb up before cracking one open for a taste test.

Last edited by JDGBrew on Sat Jun 28, 2014 17:38, edited 1 time in total.

FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg3 - Empty
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Sat Jun 28, 2014 17:37

***UPDATE***
So, it's been two weeks since bottling so all carb'd up and time for a quick taste test to see how things are progressing I reckon.

Been in the fridge all day and chilled glass for ten mins.

Carbonation is absolutely spot on!

Pretty clear I reckon, very slight chill haze if anything.

Colour is a lot lighter than expected, the missus bought another one to get on so short brewed that to 15l and racked it to secondary today....came out at 6.08% and tasted really fruity!

It's ever so slightly got that sulphur hit on the nose and that does come through in the taste. Nothing obtrusive but it is there which is a shame really. I'm hoping this will fade in a couple of months.

That aside the taste is great!
It doesn't have that initial fruit hit of what this is kit is meant to replicate but it's pretty good.
Sharp apple with fruity berries but not overly fruity. I find koppaberg to be.....'pop like' which this isn't at all.
For two weeks it's bloody good indeed, great flavour, carbonations spot on, just that slight sulphur on the nose and slightly in the taste lets it down a tad.

Saying that, I've been reading aboot online and that's totally normal with the fermentation of apples, so this will hopefully bugger off and leave a great clean tasting berrie cider :drink:

Well worth putting on in my book! :thumb:

FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg3 - Empty
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 21:42

The richies ones have the same smell taste. Mine still has it several months on so it will be great to see if the bulldog kit is any better!

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby JDGBrew » Sat Jun 28, 2014 22:11

Only time will tell I guess.
This brew isn't being consumed for 9 weeks, so we'll see how it goes.

The batch I transferred to a bottling bucket today got moved around a bit too air aerate.
Helped a bit actually.......hopefully.......that buggers ended up 6.08% :thumb: :drink:

These have now been put in the garden shed (that's always in the shade) for the 9 weeks until there needed. Might possibly try another this time next month to see if that slight nose/taste has buggered off.

FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg3 - Empty
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby Lampie » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:11

It looks great. I have done a bulldog tripple tykes kit and it was great brewing this. The endresult was also great.. I probably have to wait untill the cider kits will arrive in the dutch brewshops..

I have not failed i just found 10000 ways that won't work!
Lampie
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Sat Aug 23, 2014 16:43

Small update...
It's been bottled for around two months now, popped a bottle in the fridge Thursday and cracked it open just before.... The fruit taste has come on in abundance, no sulphur aroma or taste at all. I'm not the greatest love e of fruity ciders a la koppaberg, but this is bloody good. Really impressed with this kit. Well worth the money considering your looking at around 2quid odd for a pop like fruity cider. Hopefully all the wedding guests will think the same!

FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg3 - Empty
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Sat Aug 23, 2014 17:05

it's probably a good thing it's not too sweet, quaffable means return custom I guess! Those kopparberg things are far too sweet to have 40 pints of.

Glad you're enjoying it, might brew one in the future!
robwalker
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:03

Cheers, I put this on the missus really but it's come on really well in two months now. It's not a bad pint at all. Well worth putting on. If I was do it again I would probably add some thawed mixed berries to secondary to up the flavour a bit but overall pretty impressed for a kit.

FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg3 - Empty
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby Skipitydoda » Sat Sep 27, 2014 14:17

Guys, maybe a bit off topic but I've made a few cider kits and all have been very dry. Even tried substituting apple juice for water to improve body but still very dry. Hoping to get something a bit like Magners. Is mixed berries cider worth a go?
Skipitydoda
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Sat Sep 27, 2014 21:15

Brewed this for me wedding and they all got snapped up. Great comments all round. I found it not too dry and quite fruity (in a good way, not pop like) after a month in the bottle.
I definitely recommend giving this a go, just give it a bit of time in the bottle and it'll be reet.

FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg3 - Empty
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby JamesMcS » Sun Sep 28, 2014 09:32

Does this kit come with a sachet of flavour concentrate, or is it already mixed in the big bag? I did a milestone raspberry wheat beer a while back, it came with a little sachet of flavour concentrate and tastes chemicaly as hell...
JamesMcS
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Mon Sep 29, 2014 08:09

Check out the image on the first post mate.
JJust a big bag of juice and cider yeast/sweetener.
Chuck it together with some water and your off.....

FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg3 - Empty
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby lozo87 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 17:10

Ive just purchased the same cider kit and Im hoping to have it in time for xmas. Did you allow it to ferment with the lid on or off? I have a large fermenting bucket but dont have the lid with the fermentation lock? I was also going to finish it in a king keg instead of bottling it, hoping for good results :) Any advice greatly appreciated
lozo87
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:04

lozo87 wrote:Ive just purchased the same cider kit and Im hoping to have it in time for xmas. Did you allow it to ferment with the lid on or off? I have a large fermenting bucket but dont have the lid with the fermentation lock? I was also going to finish it in a king keg instead of bottling it, hoping for good results :) Any advice greatly appreciated

Just snap the lid open a tad :)

I've just picked up this kit after this review. I've done the Ritchie's mixed berries which is lovely but suffered from the same sulphur issue that took several months to clear. I'm planning on doing this kit in December and putting it into a Sankey keg to carbonate and then leave for a big spring BBQ :) I will also bottle a few so i can do a comparison with the ritches kit.

Kegged:

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Kermie » Thu Oct 30, 2014 08:05

Question JD - could you tell me where you got your thermometer from as my other half tried all over town to get one with no success.

Cheers!
Kermie
Brewer

Postby lozo87 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 16:07

krazypara3165 wrote:
lozo87 wrote:Ive just purchased the same cider kit and Im hoping to have it in time for xmas. Did you allow it to ferment with the lid on or off? I have a large fermenting bucket but dont have the lid with the fermentation lock? I was also going to finish it in a king keg instead of bottling it, hoping for good results :) Any advice greatly appreciated

Just snap the lid open a tad :)

I've just picked up this kit after this review. I've done the Ritchie's mixed berries which is lovely but suffered from the same sulphur issue that took several months to clear. I'm planning on doing this kit in December and putting it into a Sankey keg to carbonate and then leave for a big spring BBQ :) I will also bottle a few so i can do a comparison with the ritches kit.

Thanks for the advice, Ive had this fermentating since last Sunday and it looks like fermentation has almost stopped. What did you prime your cider with? I was going to add a tea spoon of sugar into each bottle and pour the cider directly on top?
lozo87
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 16:19

I batched primed. i put the sugar (cannot remember the amount) into another fermentor then syphoned the cider onto it, gave it a good mix and bottled it straight away. It gives me more consistent results than priming individual bottles.

Kegged:

Bottled:

Maturing:

Next Up:
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Next