Kenridge Showcase Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc

Made a great kit, tell us about it, made something not so great from a kit, warn the rest of us.

Re: Kenridge Showcase Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc

Postby Brycey » Fri May 23, 2014 22:20

I always use corks for my reds.
I haven't done any white kits but you would get away with using screwtops you could even use 1l plastic bottles.
Have you tried any of the supermarket white grape juice (wow) recipes these produce pretty decent whites.
As for the reds your probably better going for one of the more expensive kits like beverdale, kenridge or vintners reserve. There are others! Not sure how much a six bottle kit would cost but the brands i mentioned come in about £40 for 30 bottles :thumb:

B
Brycey
Brewer

Postby Raptor » Fri May 23, 2014 22:40

Super - I'll try a 6 bottle kit to start with and whilst that is fermenting away I'll look up the WOW stuff.
Raptor
Brewer

Postby Brycey » Fri May 23, 2014 22:42

Have a search on here, plenty of recipes.

B
Brycey
Brewer

Postby narmour » Tue May 27, 2014 09:12

Raptor wrote:Thanks for the info guys - going to buy a kit tomorrow.

If you are aging the wine for 3 or so months, how/where do you store it? Also do you lay the bottles down or just box them up?

Mine just go straight into a wine rack in the garage. I've never had any problems with shrinkage yet :whistle:

The House of Badger Presents, the "Badger's Arse" range.

Planning- Another Youngs APA
Brewing- Kenridge showcase Amarone
Conditioning- Kenridge Showcase Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, Various WoWs, Perpetual TC, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz
Drinking- Caxton's Real Ale, Youngs APA
narmour
Brewer

Postby VIGNERON » Tue May 27, 2014 23:28

This kit is now on my "To Make List" Superb
VIGNERON
Brewer

Postby AltonAnt » Wed May 28, 2014 08:25

Are there any tips you can pass on guys or are the instructions sufficient for this one?
For example, is it best to use bottled water? I don't want to mess up a £70 kit and the white wines I've made in the past have always had a certain flavour which I have assumed is down to the extremely alkaline water here. Reds offer more hiding space for unwanted flavours and have been fine.

I'm going to go the this kit as it sounds great from the recommendations :thumb:
AltonAnt
Brewer

Postby Raptor » Wed May 28, 2014 10:37

AltonAnt wrote:For example, is it best to use bottled water? I don't want to mess up a £70 kit and the white wines I've made in the past have always had a certain flavour which I have assumed is down to the extremely alkaline water here. Reds offer more hiding space for unwanted flavours and have been fine.

that's actually a good question that I was also pondering - when I make my beer, I pay a lot of attention to the brewing water but I don't see much mention regarding this in the Wine area..
Raptor
Brewer

Postby Brycey » Wed May 28, 2014 11:01

The showcase range comes with 16l of grape juice so you only need to add 7l of water!
If your concerned about your water i would just buy tesco ashbeck water it's only £1.10 for 5l.

Cheers
B
Brycey
Brewer

Postby narmour » Mon Jun 02, 2014 09:09

In my experience it's hard to mess this one up. Although I am lucky that my water is excellent for brewing. As others have said, Tesco Ashbeck is perfect. And it comes with a free fermenter!

I opened a bottle of this at the weekend, just to see how it was going. It's only a week in the bottle and is already shaping up to be a top notch drop.

:hat:

Conditioning- Kenridge Showcase Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, Various WoWs, Perpetual TC, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz
narmour
Brewer

Postby AltonAnt » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:05

narmour wrote:In my experience it's hard to mess this one up. Although I am lucky that my water is excellent for brewing. As others have said, Tesco Ashbeck is perfect. And it comes with a free fermenter!

I opened a bottle of this at the weekend, just to see how it was going. It's only a week in the bottle and is already shaping up to be a top notch drop.

Cheers.
So apart from the water, is there anything that you do specifically or just follow the instructions?
I've only done a few wine kits which I followed as closely as I could, only ignoring timings that didn't fit in with my schedule :cheers:

Also do you think this wine would work in a champagne style? I have a load of champagne bottles.
AltonAnt
Brewer

Postby AltonAnt » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:11

I have been reading up a bit on fermentation temps for white wine. Do you guys stick to a fairly low temp?
I'm thinking of around 12-14°c.
AltonAnt
Brewer

Postby GAZ9053 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 17:14

Mine get done around 20 as I don't have a fridge so cannot do at that low a temp

FV 1 showcase Amerone
FV 2 nowt yet
FV 3 woodfords Wherry

First BIAB 15.03.15
First Grainfather 22.12.15

My kit wine how-to
GAZ9053
Brewer

Postby narmour » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:07

AltonAnt wrote:I have been reading up a bit on fermentation temps for white wine. Do you guys stick to a fairly low temp?
I'm thinking of around 12-14°c.

I don't monitor my temperatures that closely... it brews in the garage which never gets that hot so I don't need to worry. At a guess I would say it doesn't get over 15-18 this time of year.

AltonAnt wrote:
narmour wrote:In my experience it's hard to mess this one up. Although I am lucky that my water is excellent for brewing. As others have said, Tesco Ashbeck is perfect. And it comes with a free fermenter!

Cheers.
So apart from the water, is there anything that you do specifically or just follow the instructions?
I've only done a few wine kits which I followed as closely as I could, only ignoring timings that didn't fit in with my schedule :cheers:

Also do you think this wine would work in a champagne style? I have a load of champagne bottles.

I couldn't comment with a definite as I've never done it but I don't see why not. I would substitute the yeast with a champagne yeast though.

narmour
Brewer

Postby AltonAnt » Sat Jun 14, 2014 21:12

I picked one of these kits up today and really looking forward to it.
The supplied yeast says it is suitable between 10-35°c :o
It makes beer yeast look a bit ....choosy.
AltonAnt
Brewer

Postby narmour » Wed Jun 18, 2014 08:22

AltonAnt wrote:I picked one of these kits up today and really looking forward to it.
The supplied yeast says it is suitable between 10-35°c :o
It makes beer yeast look a bit ....choosy.

Don't go anywhere near 35!! 18-24 is perfect.

narmour
Brewer

Postby AltonAnt » Wed Jun 18, 2014 08:51

It is currently at 15°c ;)
I have been reading about NZ SB's and how they ferment low to maintain the fruity thiols :geek:
I would prefer it on the fruity side rather than grassy/minerally. I have had a couple of £7 commercial SBs recently and the Brancott Estate was pretty good so if I can get close to this I'd be very pleased.
AltonAnt
Brewer

Postby Skipitydoda » Tue Jul 08, 2014 15:28

Hi Narmour,

I'm down the road from you in Greyabbey and am keen to try this Kenridge Sauvignon Blanc. Me and the wife love NZ Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc (along with almost the rest of the known world) and am keen to brew as close a version as I can get. Where do you buy this from and is it expensive to post to Northern Ireland.

I've just bottled Californian Connoisseur 30btl Sauvignon Blanc and am a little disappointed. I'm fairly new to all this and follow the instructions to the letter. Unfortunately, they told me to add oak chippings which came with the kit and even though we don't like 'oakey' wine, I added it and crossed my fingers hoping the effect would be virtually undetectable. I was wrong. It's a pity the instruction didn't offer the option to leave this out as I think it would have been a much better wine.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Skipitydoda
Skipitydoda
Brewer

Postby AltonAnt » Tue Aug 05, 2014 13:23

I have bottled this recently and it is very acidic at the moment. Not infected acidic but just sharp. Will this improve over time and mellow slightly? It doesn't need much TBH though.
AltonAnt
Brewer

Postby narmour » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:53

Yeah it'll mellow. Mine wasn't overly acidic at bottling, but definitely sharp. Give it a few months.

narmour
Brewer

Previous