Kenridge Showcase Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc

Made a great kit, tell us about it, made something not so great from a kit, warn the rest of us.

Re: Kenridge Showcase Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc

Postby Brycey » Tue May 06, 2014 17:46

So are these worth the extra money?
I'm thinking of buying one of the reds!

Cheers
B
Brycey
Brewer

Postby bobsbeer » Tue May 06, 2014 22:01

The post is waiting for a review which hopefully will be up soon.
bobsbeer
Brewer

Postby narmour » Thu May 08, 2014 11:30

Apologies for the delay in getting this up.

I'm onto my second of this kit, which speaks volumes for the quality. The finished product is smooth, fruity, sharp and balanced. I would say that it is better than many £6-7 bottles of Marlborough Sauv Balnc I have tasted. In fact, at a family party I served several bottles of this and it went down a storm with all of my family, most of whom are fairly discerning about their wines.

The kit is simple to make, 16 litres of juice, yeast sachet, bentonite, stabiliser and clearing agent (chitosan). There's no need to brew short as it is so full of flavour. Just make up to 23 litres, add the yeast and let it go.

I'm going to bottle it tonight hopefully to make space for my Kenridge Showcase Italian Amarone kit.

The House of Badger Presents, the "Badger's Arse" range.

Planning- Another Youngs APA
Brewing- Kenridge showcase Amarone
Conditioning- Kenridge Showcase Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, Various WoWs, Perpetual TC, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz
Drinking- Caxton's Real Ale, Youngs APA
narmour
Brewer

Postby narmour » Thu May 08, 2014 11:31

Brycey wrote:So are these worth the extra money?
I'm thinking of buying one of the reds!

Cheers
B

Absolutely they are. I have got an Italian Amarone waiting to go which, going by the quality of the white, should be a real treat!

I intend to age it for a couple of years before drinking, as I have some bottles of 2 year old cabernet sauvignon (California Connoisseur) which are amazing now.

Conditioning- Kenridge Showcase Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, Various WoWs, Perpetual TC, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz
narmour
Brewer

Postby Brycey » Thu May 08, 2014 11:46

The Italian amarone was the exact one i have my eye on :thumb:
Creative wines have these at £69.99 with free delivery that seems to be the cheapest i can find. Where do you buy your's from?

Cheers
B
Brycey
Brewer

Postby narmour » Thu May 08, 2014 13:31

I got it from brewstore in Edinburgh. It was £73.99. They didn't have it in stock but they ordered it for me.

narmour
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Thu May 08, 2014 13:57

Thinking I'll treat myself to a red and white one of these, SWMBO only usually drinks rose but I like the occasional bottle of red and her mother enjoys a good white. It would be good to have a quality wine stock that we can occasionally dip into. I'd imagine the two kits would last a few years at least :)

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby narmour » Fri May 09, 2014 08:51

The last sauv blanc lasted us about 7 months.. it's more than drinkable straight out of the FV but it's at its best after about 3 months in the bottle. Real quality drop and I can't wait to see what the Amarone is like.

narmour
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Fri May 09, 2014 09:49

narmour wrote:The last sauv blanc lasted us about 7 months.. it's more than drinkable straight out of the FV but it's at its best after about 3 months in the bottle. Real quality drop and I can't wait to see what the Amarone is like.

Thats good to know! A 30 bottle kit may be a bit overkill for us then. Do they do smaller kits?

Kegged:

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby narmour » Thu May 15, 2014 12:02

krazypara3165 wrote:
narmour wrote:The last sauv blanc lasted us about 7 months.. it's more than drinkable straight out of the FV but it's at its best after about 3 months in the bottle. Real quality drop and I can't wait to see what the Amarone is like.

Thats good to know! A 30 bottle kit may be a bit overkill for us then. Do they do smaller kits?

I don't think so off the top of my head. They do keep though so even if it takes you 2 years to drink, it will be worthwhile. I make it for my wife who loves Marlborough Sauv blanc, and she would open a bottle of this once for every two bottles of shop bought stuff she drinks. If she relied on it I would have to have an FV permanently brewing it for her!! (not that she's an alky or anything :whistle: )

narmour
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Thu May 15, 2014 12:08

narmour wrote:
krazypara3165 wrote:

I don't think so off the top of my head. They do keep though so even if it takes you 2 years to drink, it will be worthwhile. I make it for my wife who loves Marlborough Sauv blanc, and she would open a bottle of this once for every two bottles of shop bought stuff she drinks. If she relied on it I would have to have an FV permanently brewing it for her!! (not that she's an alky or anything :whistle: )

That's sold me then!

Kegged:

Bottled:

Maturing:

Next Up:
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby GAZ9053 » Thu May 15, 2014 17:17

narmour wrote:
krazypara3165 wrote:

That`s why i do 5 gallon, we don`t buy shop wines now just guzzle home made :D :D just got an Amarone will be getting it on next weekend :thumb:

First BIAB 15.03.15
First Grainfather 22.12.15

My kit wine how-to
GAZ9053
Brewer

Postby Hawks » Thu May 15, 2014 17:24

This sounds really good, I may have to try my hand at a wine kit..
Hawks
Brewer

Postby Brycey » Thu May 15, 2014 20:49

We haven't bought a bottle of wine from the shop for over a year! I've saved loads of money since i started making my own wine and in my opinion its probably better than the £5 to £6 stuff i used to buy.
I've also got the Amarone to put on, hopefully get it going on Saturday.

Cheers
B
Brycey
Brewer

Postby Raptor » Thu May 15, 2014 20:55

Hawks wrote:This sounds really good, I may have to try my hand at a wine kit..

Agreed - what kit apart from a FV and bottles do we need to make this type of wine?

I fancy trying a quality red - any recommendations?
Raptor
Brewer

Postby Brycey » Thu May 15, 2014 21:10

Depends how much you want to spend!
I would recommend kenridge kits. The classic kits are about £45 for a 30 bottle kit then you jump to about £70 for their showcase range, which when you work it out is still only about £2.30 a bottle. Beaverdal are also quite good and I've got a vinters reserve pinot noir on at the moment.

As far as equipment is concerned i just use two fv's one for primary and one for secondary then into my bottling bucket.
If you are going to use proper corks then you'll need a corker. Honestly when you start making your own wine you won't look back. :thumb:

Cheers
B
Brycey
Brewer

Postby Raptor » Thu May 15, 2014 21:22

Thanks for the info. Need to find some bottles then I think. My Mrs is going to hate me more now - beer and wine bottles all over the place ;)

So in summary:

1. buy the wine kit
2. make it up in first FV
3. transfer to 2ndary FV after x days
4. bottle
5. leave for at least 3 months.

Have I missed anything?

for #3, do you add anything? Anything else that could be useful? Do you filter or anything?

Cheers.
Raptor
Brewer

Postby GAZ9053 » Thu May 15, 2014 21:27

all you need to add is whats in the kit, i dont filter but some do, but i make red wines if I were making white all the time then I would filter.

First BIAB 15.03.15
First Grainfather 22.12.15

My kit wine how-to
GAZ9053
Brewer

Postby Brycey » Thu May 15, 2014 21:34

I did add some oak chips to a wilko merlot kit and i probably added to much it took a long time to mellow out but when it did it was really nice. But as gaz says just add what's in the kit sometimes they come with additions like oak or elderberries.
I don't bother filtering either.

Cheers
B
Brycey
Brewer

Postby Raptor » Thu May 15, 2014 21:38

Cheers guys will give a kit a try. Maybe a 6 bottle one for starters until I can scrounge enough bottles..
Raptor
Brewer

Postby narmour » Wed May 21, 2014 12:34

I bottled this kit last night and had a sneaky wee taste... it was amazing. Well, for an unchilled white wine it was amazing. There's a perfectly balanced acidity to it, with a lovely rounded fruitiness coming through. 29 bottles in the end which works out as £2.58 a bottle. And it's easily as good as a £6 supermarket bottle. And that's before it's had a chance to age in the bottle. It's going to be a good summer!

Raptor wrote:Thanks for the info. Need to find some bottles then I think. My Mrs is going to hate me more now - beer and wine bottles all over the place ;)

So in summary:

1. buy the wine kit
2. make it up in first FV
3. transfer to 2ndary FV after x days
4. bottle
5. leave for at least 3 months.

Have I missed anything?

for #3, do you add anything? Anything else that could be useful? Do you filter or anything?

Cheers.

I don't bother with the racking stage (3), this kit was in the same vessel from mixing to bottling. Others may lambast me for it but I don't like the wastage and I can't tell the difference between a racked wine and an unracked. It works for me.

Brycey wrote:We haven't bought a bottle of wine from the shop for over a year! I've saved loads of money since i started making my own wine and in my opinion its probably better than the £5 to £6 stuff i used to buy.
I've also got the Amarone to put on, hopefully get it going on Saturday.

Cheers
B

Perhaps with all of us with an Amarone kit to make we should start a separate thread. I will request one now.

narmour
Brewer

Postby narmour » Wed May 21, 2014 12:38

GAZ9053 wrote:all you need to add is whats in the kit, i dont filter but some do, but i make red wines if I were making white all the time then I would filter.

I don't think a filter could've got this one much clearer, it was sparkling. The lees in the bottom of the barrel were really compact as well, so it was hard to disturb them with the syphon.

narmour
Brewer

Postby Raptor » Fri May 23, 2014 21:10

Thanks for the info guys - going to buy a kit tomorrow.

If you are aging the wine for 3 or so months, how/where do you store it? Also do you lay the bottles down or just box them up?
Raptor
Brewer

Postby Brycey » Fri May 23, 2014 21:18

I keep mine in the cupboard under the stairs witch is fairly cool but probably not the ideal temperature but it works for me!
If using proper corks you need to leave them upright for a couple of days to allow them to expand then lay them on their sides and the wine keeps them moist and stops them from shrinking.
Hope this helps!
What you thinking of buying?

B
Brycey
Brewer

Postby Raptor » Fri May 23, 2014 21:59

cheers! you always cork your wine or screwtop?

I am going to buy a 6 bottle kit to start me off with - any recommendations? Red for starters.

My wife hates dry wines but likes Reisling/medium dry whites - again any recommendations?
Raptor
Brewer

Next