Solomon Grundy Rose

Made a great kit, tell us about it, made something not so great from a kit, warn the rest of us.

Solomon Grundy Rose

Postby Chippy_Tea » Sun Apr 06, 2014 15:39

Originally posted 06-05-2013

This was my second Solomon Grundy 6 bottle 7 day kit, i tried the medium sweet white first (my first ever home brew) and although drinkable it lacked taste in fact it was impossible to describe the taste.

My wife likes Rose wine so I decided to give the Solomon Grundy Rose kit a try, the instructions were easy to follow (see below) and the end result was very pleasant, the taste is that of a fruity rich rose and is very drinkable my wife likes the taste and also because it is slightly dry, I normally drink medium sweet white wine so it was a little on the dry side for me so i back sweetened (see instructions below) one of the 2 litre bottles i racked into by adding 3 teaspoons of sugar and that did the trick, i liked it so much i bought a 25 litre fermenting bucket and have just finished a 30 bottle Solomon Grundy Rose kit, i now have a great tasting Rose that works out at less than £1 a bottle.

If you decide to try this kit bear in mind the instructions are a little optimistic on time unless you have a heat pad or belt, the first kit (7 day kit) took 7 days to ferment to 995 and 2 to clear, this was probably because my kitchen was below 20c when the central heating was not on , i read in the forums the longer it takes the better it tastes so i was happy to wait an extra day or two

The 30 bottle kit was a different beast i assume because my kitchen was at 20c most of the time, it was so vigorous it nearly emptied the air lock on day 2 (i have a 25L bucket with a hole in the lid for an air lock) and it fermented to 995 in 5 days, i gave it an extra day to clear so it took 8 days, the end result was as good as the first kit, it is not going to get much time to mature.

One think to bear in mind if you like the 6 bottle kit and decide to try the 30 bottle kit is that the instructions differ when it comes to adding stabiliser e.t.c. for the 30 bottle kit you have to do it over a period of 2 hours as it is done in stages.

The instructions below are for the 6 bottle 7 day kit.

Instructions for the 30 bottle 7 day kit are here - http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/aca ... ctions.pdf

Starting Fermentation

Using a plastic funnel (if possible) pour 2 Litres (3 1/2 pints) of cold water, between
600gm (21oz) and 770g (27oz) of sugar (using 600gms will produce 10.5% Alcohol by
Volume, 770gms will produce 12.5% Alcohol by Volume) and the large container of
concentrate into a clean fermenting container. Then add 1.2 Litres (2 pints) of hot (not
boiling) water and shake the fermenting container until the sugar is fully dissolved.
Top up to 4.6 Litres (just over 1 gallon) with cold water, then add the sachets of WINE
YEAST, ACID REGULATOR and NUTRIENT. Shake well then fit bung and airlock (half
fill with cold water). Transfer the fermenting container somewhere warm between 21-26º
C (70-79º F) to ferment. Fermentation will be complete in 5 days providing the correct
temperature is maintained.

What to do at the end of fermentation

You must have a hydrometer if you want to make your wine in 7 days. If the hydrometer
reads below 995 then add the sachet of STABILISER (this will give off gas - do not
inhale). If making the Medium Sweet White table wine you should also add the
SWEETENER sachet.
Shake vigorously several times over the next two hours. This will remove all the carbon
dioxide gases which are present in the wine. This should be done for several minutes at
a time. Once degassed add the ADD BACK sachet. Shake well. Now add the
KIESELSOL sachet and shake for 10 seconds then leave to stand for 12-24 hours.

What to do 12-24 hours later

Add the sachet of CHITOSAN, swirl the fermentation container gently for 10 seconds.
Now leave somewhere cool to clear, this will normally take 1-2 days but wait until
completely bright before continuing otherwise a slight sediment may settle in your bottles.

What to do when your wine is completely bright

Carefully syphon the clear wine into another clean demijohn or container, taking care not
to disturb the sediment.

Supermarket Juice Wine Recipes and Wurzels Orange Wine (WOW) here - viewtopic.php?f=19&t=57
Chippy_Tea
Brewer

Re: Solomon Grundy Rose

Postby krazypara3165 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 13:05

As the wine and cider section has been a little quiet I thought I would post a review up of the only kit wine done but it seems as if you have beaten me to it!

I got this kit for the girlfriend for her Christmas present, and it was one of those presents for her, that I make, and she sees the benefit (as usual!)

It ended up superb, 4 months on and we are down to around 10 bottles! it was perfect, a little sweet but not too sweet! I would defiantly recommend!

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Kermie » Mon Nov 17, 2014 22:01

I made the 30 bottle kit up recently and bottled it just over 2 weeks ago, We sampled a bottle a coupe of days ago and it definitely needs a bit of maturing. I think I will wait at least another month before trying again.
Kermie
Brewer

Postby BIGJIM72 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 23:49

Personally-thought it was pretty foul & not even 6 months ageing really helped it. One to avoid.

I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Brewing,baking & grilling up a storm in South London
BIGJIM72
Brewer

Postby Kermie » Fri Jan 09, 2015 08:11

We opened another bottle of this last night - two months on and it is still rough. The other half will have to drink it as I don't like it. Will give it another 2 or 3 months before trying again.
Kermie
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 09:56

As per my previous review we found this nice. that said, we've drunk a lot more since then and actually found the range rose and several wow combinations to be a lot better!

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Kermie » Thu Apr 02, 2015 06:02

Tried this again last night. This time after 5 months in the bottle it was rather nice. I think my boyfriend will have to share after all! Nice and smooth, easy drinking. It will be good to quaff in the summer sitting on the beach (if we get a summer here).
Kermie
Brewer