Emptying the 60 litre cask

Discussions of interest about making wine, cider and other fermented beverages

Emptying the 60 litre cask

Postby tonyhibbett » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:45

This would require about 75 empty bottles which I don't have. I can fill an empty polypin and an empty pressure barrel, which would leave enough to fill up to 18 bottles. I will need 3 x 30 bottle batches to refill it, which would take about a month.
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Re: Emptying the 60 litre cask

Postby tonyhibbett » Thu Mar 24, 2016 14:09

Took all morning and 23 bottles required. After 6 months in the cask, the white wine is a bit disappointing, smooth but having no aroma and tasting rather bland, on account of tartrate stabilisation and malolactic fermentation reducing the acidity to pH to 3.8. I should have checked and added tartaric acid before emptying the cask, but then this would have stirred up the sediment. My home made sediment trap worked a treat, leaving just 1 litre of gunge, less than 2 % of the total capacity. The sediment is supposed to create aroma over time, but this didn't happen. Another myth bites the dust! No flavour from the oak either. There would appear to be little to be said in favour of maturing white wine in a cask.
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Postby tonyhibbett » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:37

The wine is in fact mostly made from chardonnay grapes bulked up with apples to fill the cask. Malolactic fermentation has reduced the acidity considerably due to the apples acidity being malic. Titration shows the wine to be 4 ppt (as tartaric) and for a dry white this should be at least 4.5. This was easy to restore by adding 10 g tartaric acid to both the polypin and the pressure barrel, and this significantly improved the mouthfeel. As the wine is very dry (sg 990) adding more acid could prove to be overkill, even though chardonnay should have acidity in the range of 5-6 ppt.
The wine should be left to recover from the transfer process and the addition of acid.
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Postby tonyhibbett » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:24

The wine now tastes very good at 15 c., with that characteristic faint peach note of chardonnay. Adjusting the acidity of the bottled wine is not so simple as I have no way of accurately measuring the 0.3 g of acid required per bottle. However, if I mix 10 g of acid with 50 ml of wine, I can use a syringe to inject 2 ml of this solution into each bottle and leave this batch to further mature, since cask maturation is really only half of the job to get the best result.
I was concerned about an odd taint in the wine in the pressure barrel, which had previously been used for beer. However the taint has now gone and must have been something to do with the process of transferring the wine from the cask. This is known as 'bottle sickness' and is only temporary.
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Postby tonyhibbett » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:59

I have 2 casks with stainless steel hoops. Both have expanded by about 30%, compared with the others which have ordinary steel hoops which have hardly expanded at all. It would seem that stainless steel is more 'elastic'.
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Postby tonyhibbett » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:56

Due to a slight miscalculation, each bottle got 0.5 g of tartaric acid, raising the acidity to 5 ppt, (pH 3.6), which is perfect.
I thought I would print some labels but the printer keeps jamming. It is out of warranty and would cost £60 plus parts to repair. I found a Ricoh colour laser printer at Tesco direct for £49 with free delivery!
I drew a bottle of wine from the pressure barrel outside, where the temperature is a convenient 14 c. There was a slight hiss, indicating that the barrel was not completely air tight. This could be quite convenient, chilled wine on tap, but at what point the wine gets spoilt remains to be seen.
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Postby MrBoy » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:00

Wow, £50 for a colour laser?
MrBoy
Brewer

Postby tonyhibbett » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:11

With full duplexing and ethernet included! The replacement toner cartridges are very expensive. £227 for a full set!
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Postby tonyhibbett » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:38

Comes with 'starter' (not full) toner set for up to 1000 pages, as seems to be the deal with low entry cost lasers, and you can get a full set of re-manufactured cartridges for £183. 2 year warranty a big plus point. My Samsung only had a 1 year warranty and broke down shortly after it expired.
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Postby tonyhibbett » Tue Apr 05, 2016 16:42

Printer has arrived. Weighs 29 kilos! It has 2 internal levers set by default to print envelopes (?), which needs to be changed. Guarantee in fact just 1 year. Driver installation a nightmare in Windows 10. Had to download and install latest version just to print test page! Despite warning against using inkjet paper, printed inkjet labels perfectly without changing paper settings. However, I will buy proper laser ones as I suspect the inkjet ones may have contributed to the demise of my previous printer. Photo printing (600 dpi) not as good as photo quality inkjet. Built in duplexer works well.
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Postby tonyhibbett » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:35

The first batch of white is ready, which will go in a second 5 gallon pressure barrel for now. Tesco are selling Winebuddy sauvignon blanc for £16.50, so I've ordered 2, which avoids their £2 charge for click & collect. This wine greatly improves after 6 months in bottle but I've not tried maturing it in oak.
Meanwhile searching for laser labels, I found you can get removable ones, which would be ideal. Why struggle removing original labels and replacing them with new ones which are hard to remove? However, I found I already had 100 sheets already, lurking under a pile of photo inkjet paper.
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Postby tonyhibbett » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:45

I put the second batch in the 6 gallon fermenter and once again, a large headspace. However, the stabiliser contains sulphite, so no problem with that. Third batch under way. Should be ready by end of month, so 15 gallons in 1 month is not bad going!
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Postby tonyhibbett » Tue May 10, 2016 11:40

Actually took 41 days for a complete refill. Also filled the 9 litre cask, leaving 8 litres, most of which will be bottled.
So now all 8 barrels are full, but one is ready to decant into an empty polypin, so I have started a Cabernet sauvignon to refill the barrel, hopefully in time to catch the elderflowers!
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Postby tonyhibbett » Wed May 11, 2016 13:12

All the casks needed topping up, so I ended up with just 4 bottles of the surplus wine. Using white to top up red is fine. I now have, potentially, a year's supply of wine, but building up a stock of mature wine is going to take some time. The trick of course is to produce at a much faster rate than consumption. It would therefore make sense to brew in 10 or more gallon batches.
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Postby tonyhibbett » Sun Dec 18, 2016 14:56

Finally got around to emptying the 60 litre cask again. I filled 2 polypins and 4 djs, the latter to be used to fill bottles in batches of 6. Worth it? Not really for the sauvignon blanc, which has improved somewhat but still doesn't taste much like the genuine article. I will stick to red!
tonyhibbett
Brewer