Is cooked fruit in any way worse for fermentation?

Discussions of interest about making wine, cider and other fermented beverages

Is cooked fruit in any way worse for fermentation?

Postby MrBoy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 18:23

We harvested 20Kg of crab apples recently. We wanted to use them for jam and for cider.

With our brand new 1KW juicer, we were ambitious of juicing the apples but it really didn't work too well. Initially looked great but the juicer just got clogged really fast.

So we ended up boiling them up as we would for jam-making, and straining the juice off. Used this in cider but I wondered if it changes the properties of the fruit to stew it rather than press it? For currants, plums, etc some stewing would soften the fruit considerably and make de-stoning easier.
MrBoy
Brewer

Re: Is cooked fruit in any way worse for fermentation?

Postby oldbloke » Thu Oct 26, 2017 00:21

You will have needed to add water to boil them, so your sugar levels will be relatively lower (unless you boiled off a lot of the water), so you'll get a disappointingly low ABV. The boil will likely have done something to the pectin. Not sure what... If you have trouble clearing it add pectolase.
oldbloke

Postby MrBoy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 00:41

Good point. When jam making you reduce it substantially but that didn't apply here

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
MrBoy
Brewer

Postby jkp » Thu Oct 26, 2017 01:37

I find crabapples can be quite dry compared to eaters, making them more difficult to press/juice. Perhaps mixing in a few crisp juicy eaters would have helped. I also have trouble with varieties that are soft and pulpy as they often turn to thick sauce. Mixing helps.

jkp
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:08

You will get a cooked apple taste to your 'wine' or cider ... possibly ideal for halloween or Bonfire night where you could have a toffee apple cider on the go, but for 'best' results uncooked is best.

Fruits in beer is a funny one, as it depends on the amount of flavour in the fruit, Strongly flavoured fruits (blackcurrants etc) go in with 15 minutes left of the boil, medium flavoured fruit (Blackberries, oranges??) go in at the end of the boil for a steep, mildly flavoured fruit (raspberries, peaches etc) add to the FV.

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby Dennis King » Thu Oct 26, 2017 19:59

Aleman wrote:You will get a cooked apple taste to your 'wine' or cider ... possibly ideal for halloween or Bonfire night where you could have a toffee apple cider on the go, but for 'best' results uncooked is best.

Fruits in beer is a funny one, as it depends on the amount of flavour in the fruit, Strongly flavoured fruits (blackcurrants etc) go in with 15 minutes left of the boil, medium flavoured fruit (Blackberries, oranges??) go in at the end of the boil for a steep, mildly flavoured fruit (raspberries, peaches etc) add to the FV.

I remember the raspberry beer you bought to the festival a few years back Tony, very nice.
Dennis King