Safe to use fruit starting to mould?

Discussions of interest about making wine, cider and other fermented beverages

Safe to use fruit starting to mould?

Postby MrBoy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 20:57

We harvested about 20kg of crab apples... Big fat sweet ones that were affected by scab and starting to turn. We tried to avoid harvesting any rotten ones and planned to juice immediately but circumstances mean it's now been a week and they are becoming a bit dubious... Dark skins, a few starting to get mouldy.

If we juice and add copious campden tablets, is it safe to use it will the juice be poisonous, or simply cause anything it is mixed with to ruin?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
MrBoy
Brewer

Re: Safe to use fruit starting to mould?

Postby PeeBee » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:10

Have you seen small commercial operations "scatting" apples for cider?

Everything gets thrown in! Some of the apples I've seen go in I wouldn't have fed to pigs. I doubt these characters have even heard of campden tablets. I still go to the tables away from the demo and grab mugs of the finished stuff. Why it doesn't just go off I've no idea (though drinking some of it makes me think it's only fit for making pennies look shiny, or perhaps top-up old-fashioned car batteries?).
PeeBee
Brewer

Postby jaroporter » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:22

once fermented above bout 2% it wont be poisonous. taste though? i'd probably press it and see. may just be like funky scrumpy.
jaroporter
Brewer

Postby jkp » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:05

Bruises are ok, and I usually just cut mould out if it's just a small spot. Too much though and I throw it out. It's not worth tainting the juice.

Lots of videos on YouTube of small cideries, and they do seem to only reject the totally black rotten apples, everything else goes in.

jkp
Brewer

Postby MrBoy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 13:03

I've had cider start to go mouldy in the FV before once... Bottled it anyway and it was fine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
MrBoy
Brewer

Postby tonyhibbett » Tue Oct 10, 2017 13:10

I am quite cavalier about windfall apples, which are usually on the ground due to premature ripening caused by apple maggots. I do wash them and cut out the obvious rot. The juicer does a good job, producing clear and pleasant juice.
tonyhibbett
Brewer