Confusing hydrometer tables

Discussions of interest about making wine, cider and other fermented beverages

Confusing hydrometer tables

Postby tonyhibbett » Thu Sep 14, 2017 13:45

I have always used the table in 'First Steps' and worked on the basis that an original gravity of 1090 should produce a dry wine at 12% abv. However in the Acton & Duncan book 'Progressive Winemaking' the table indicates 14.4%, a significant difference. However, their table is based on pure sugar and suggests that the hydrometer reading be adjusted to take account of other elements, such as suspended pulp, minerals etc., by reducing the reading by between 5 and 10. If using clear juice such as apple or grape (including concentrate) at the rate of 40% juice content, the pure sugar content will be higher than a must of 100% fresh pressed grape juice, which will also contain some suspended pulp and little or no added sugar. Making the correct adjustment is particularly important when making sparkling wine, because if the initial alcohol content is high, the secondary bottle fermentation, after priming with sugar, may fail to produce sufficient sparkle or even none at all, as happened once to me.
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Re: Confusing hydrometer tables

Postby HLA91 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:18

I agree that having different tables is quite confusing. For me, if it's a pulp ferment then I assume 85% extraction, then use the sugar LDK equation to get me to 1090. I'm not too fussed a % here or there, but I suppose in your case that buffer isn't acceptable. Until someone comes along with a magic solution I think we're a bit buggered.
HLA91
Brewer

Re: Confusing hydrometer tables

Postby tonyhibbett » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:37

Yes that makes sense.
tonyhibbett
Brewer