Dry barrel

Discussions of interest about making wine, cider and other fermented beverages

Dry barrel

Postby tonyhibbett » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:29

I have a 5 litre oak cask to which I added 2 litres of water when empty to prevent drying out. Unfortunately this all evaporated over time. 2 of the hoops were loose and when refilled, the cask leaked profusely. I have immersed it in water in a 5 gallon bin, which hopefully will solve the problem.
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Re: Dry barrel

Postby Borischarlton » Tue Sep 05, 2017 13:22

Hi,

I have a 50litre barrel remade from single malts casks, I had meant to use it right away but got distracted! As with yours it has dried and shrunk so a couple of the bands have dropped off, guess I will be soaking it before use.

Borischarlton
Vendor

Postby john luc » Wed Sep 06, 2017 09:55

about the best you can do is to soak ok. use a hammer and cold chisel to tap the band's back into a tight fit.
john luc
Brewer

Postby tonyhibbett » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:01

In my case, the leak was so bad, immersion was required. Easy with 5 litres, but more of a challenge for 50 litres! I suggest placing it in a bath with a barrel stand and the bung hole at the top then filling with water. The belly must be clear of the bottom of the bath to avoid damage due to the weight of the water. Mine was watertight within 24 hours. There was a slight drip at the bottom, but this was because of excess moisture on the outside and not a leak. I refilled with red wine and clear water continued to seep, but not the wine.
You will have to siphon out most of the water in order to be able to lift the barrel, but leave some in to retain moisture. Keep an eye on on it with a dipstick. I also have a 50 litre barrel. Larger barrels lose moisture more slowly due to the lower contact area to volume ratio. I found that immersion increased capacity by 10% beyond it's previous size.
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Postby tonyhibbett » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:00

Problem solved. The cask is now bone dry on the outside.
tonyhibbett
Brewer