Acton & Duncan recipes

Discussions of interest about making wine, cider and other fermented beverages

Acton & Duncan recipes

Postby tonyhibbett » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:08

Most of these are daunting, expensive and often include ingredients which are not all in season. One requires 30 pounds of apples, 15 pounds of elderberries, 4 pints of red grape juice concentrate and 4 pounds of honey to make 5 gallons, to be matured in an oak cask for at least 1 year and further maturation in bottles.
I had a good haul of 6 kilos (after stripping) of elderberries which I crushed and pressed. I added 9 litres of Azda red grape juice, 8 litres of apple juice and 2.5 kilos of sugar. This reduced the cost to £17.
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Re: Acton & Duncan recipes

Postby HLA91 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:36

I like their book for the good info it provides and I often find myself flicking through it for hints and tips, but their recipes are not really aimed at the average home wine maker sadly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
HLA91
Brewer

Re: Acton & Duncan recipes

Postby tonyhibbett » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:19

Fermentation is almost complete. I added 4 g of tartaric acid per gallon, giving 5 ppt (tartaric). The dominant flavour is elderberry, even though the juice constitutes just 20% of the total mix. I had a 19 litre cask of chardonnay which has been there for 11 months, which is far too long. The volume has reduced by a third but the alcoholic strength has increased to 16%, which means most of what has been lost is purely water. The sediment was brown, so mostly oak. After filling with the red wine there's 4 litres spare, which can be used for topping up over the next 12 months.
tonyhibbett
Brewer