Sage Nutri Juicer by Heston Blumenthal

Discussions of interest about making wine, cider and other fermented beverages

Sage Nutri Juicer by Heston Blumenthal

Postby pintofbitter » Thu May 04, 2017 08:12

Hi guys, I am looking forward to the Autumn ! Looking to make some Cider and have seen and heard these juicers are good for small amounts of apples, has anyone any experience with them ? I guess a press would be needed too ?
Thanks in advance :thumb:
pintofbitter
Brewer

Re: Sage Nutri Juicer by Heston Blumenthal

Postby Dads Ale » Thu May 04, 2017 14:47

I have not used the Heston Juicer but did make about 20 gallons a couple of years ago using a cheap Liddle juicer.
Worked pretty well but the gauze did clog quite frequently especially if the apples were particularly fibrous with hard skins. I did core the apples as well as read somewhere that you should not blitz the pips (not sure how true this is).
No need for anything else just collect the juice and ferment away.
Dads Ale
Brewer

Postby pintofbitter » Thu May 04, 2017 16:10

Thanks for the reply, I have read also people putting tea in for the tannin, I reckon just fermenting the juice as is and leaving for a couple of months, it's all just an experiment really. Still not sure weather to go for the juicer or not though :)

If I could buy beer like I brew I might go out more ! :party:
pintofbitter
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Fri May 05, 2017 06:52

The tea is just for shop bought juice. You shouldn't need it if your juicing the whole apple.
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby pintofbitter » Fri May 05, 2017 09:01

Ahh, right, ok, so just the juice then, any ideas on a juicer ?

pintofbitter
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Fri May 05, 2017 10:03

I've only made cider from shop bought juice. It's been on the disappointing side!

I think the key is to age it, or add other fruits.
But if your using the whole apple, and a range of apples then I'm sure it will be better!
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby pintofbitter » Fri May 05, 2017 11:02

Ok, thanks for your reply.

pintofbitter
Brewer

Postby tonyhibbett » Fri May 05, 2017 11:39

A whole fruit juicer with a robust motor is best. I don't bother coring, just wash. Large apples cut in half. I also press the ejected pulp to get an extra 20% of juice.
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Postby pintofbitter » Fri May 05, 2017 12:01

Hi, the sage could be a good one then as it has a 1200W motor ? Where do you get your apples from, local farmers ? I have an eating apple tree and also a Bramley, wondering how they would mix for a brew.

pintofbitter
Brewer

Postby Crastney » Fri May 05, 2017 12:22

eaters and bramleys might work quite well, though to get a 'farmyard twang' you'll probably need to add either some tannin (powder, or a strong tea), or some crab apples - about a third volume of each works well. Mostly I just make cider from whatever apples I can get my hands on for free (usually the leftovers from the local pub garden that they haven't used in their kitchen) it's different every year.
You don't need a juicer, you can do a DIY type job on it - wash the apples to get any dirt, mud off, chop into quarters (no need to peel or core), place in a sterilised bucket, and pound with a length of 2x4 (or a rolling pin), or any large thing you can sterilise. for a press you can wrap the pulp in a clean t-towel, and place between two chopping boards, and then press with a heavy weight, and 4 G-clamps - make sure you collect the juice into a sterilised container big enough. at a stretch you could even just pulp the apples, then add more water on top, and ferment on the pulp, to make a weaker apple wine type drink (or add sugar and make an apple wine).
if you've got the space, and the DIY skills, or the money for the equipment, then a juicer, and a press are more efficient.
ideally any pulp left should be dry, then you know you've extracted the most juice, otherwise keep pressing it.
I've yet to find the most efficient way, my pulp is usually still a bit damp.

Global average carbon emissions - one ton per person per year.
Current emissions in UK – 9 tons per person per year!
Eight million tons of plastic dumped into the oceans. Every year!
Crastney
Brewer

Postby pintofbitter » Fri May 05, 2017 13:46

Hi, thanks for the info,, I have already bought a small press (6L), so am looking/wondering about a juicer now, like you say, pulverize with a big stick could be one way to go, mind you, it's nice to have a bit of kit.

pintofbitter
Brewer

Postby Dave1970 » Mon May 08, 2017 15:29

I usually do cider with a proper scratter and press. A couple of years ago I was given a small amount of apples after my main 'cider day' and thought I'd just save time, keep the big stuff clean and use a juicer.
Didn't work well for me at all, found that there was a huge amount of pulp going through as well as the juice and leaving it to settle and then getting rid of the pulp took so long that I'd have been quicker setting up and cleaning the proper kit. The juicer I used was a Phillips one I got off Freecycle, very similar design to that Heston one but I'm sure much cheaper so you might have more success with the Heston one.

Brewing: Cider 2015
Conditioning: AG#21Branxholme Bitter
Drinking: C ider 2014,AG#15 Stellar Tortoise II, AG#19 All at C
Dave1970
Brewer

Postby pintofbitter » Mon May 08, 2017 16:28

Thank you, looks like I will have to buy and do a test of the Heston one, life is a test run :)

pintofbitter
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Mon May 08, 2017 18:19

Where do you live? There us a place near me that has a small press that they lend/hire out for making juice. Its in sheffield called Regather. There might be somewhere like that near you.
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby pintofbitter » Mon May 08, 2017 20:16

Thanks, I'll do my own.

pintofbitter
Brewer

Postby HTH1975 » Tue May 09, 2017 12:25

When I did my cider I had to wait for it to settle in the fridge, then decant. Before this it was all sieved through muslin cloth. No more time consuming than a beer brewday.

My ciders are around 6-7 months old now. Hopefully we have cider and not vinegar.

2016: 330L brewed (72 gallons, over 8 firkins)
2017: 105L brewed (need to update this figure)
Drinking: Landlord clone
Conditioning: ciders from 2016, hedgerow barrolo, 1914 Courage RIS (10%).
HTH1975
Brewer

Postby jkp » Tue May 16, 2017 10:05

pintofbitter wrote:Hi, thanks for the info,, I have already bought a small press (6L), so am looking/wondering about a juicer now, like you say, pulverize with a big stick could be one way to go, mind you, it's nice to have a bit of kit.

If you already have the press then you don't need a juicer. What you do need is a scatter for crushing the apples into a rough pulp ready to press. I used to use a kitchen food processor for this but it was very slow (6L isn't much so it might be ok for you).

Another option is a commercial kitchen vegetable/fruit grinder. I've also seen people using kitchen waste disposal units (new stainless steel versions) with good effect. Again for a 6L press these will probably be overkill.

If you've got a decent sized food processor at home already I'd give that a go first and see how you get on.

jkp
Brewer

Postby sledgehammer » Fri Jul 21, 2017 21:37

the other year i helped my neighbour make cider from the aples in his garden we borrowed kit from a local organisation
to scrat the apples we used a petrol engine driven garden waste shreadder this worked really well
for the pressing we started with a hydraulic press (mains water pressure) but the bladder had leaks and that was abandoned we where then lent a conventional screw press that we where very impressed with this left the pulp very dry

steve
sledgehammer
Brewer