Adding fruit to apple cider kit

Discussions of interest about making wine, cider and other fermented beverages

Adding fruit to apple cider kit

Postby UKBrad » Sat Apr 01, 2017 13:16

Hi.

I'm new to brewing. Done one successful brew today but I used a kit.

I have another kit to use up but it's an apple one and I'm not a lover of apple cider.

I bought a big bag of frozen fruit to add but wasn't sure if you could through it in the brew bucket at the start. Also how much fruit if so and should I compensate on the sugar i out it. I also bought fruit juice to add as I didn't think the fruit would be enough. It's not from concentrate. My same questions apply to adding this.

Thanks in advance.
UKBrad
Brewer

Re: Adding fruit to apple cider kit

Postby Rolfster » Sat Apr 01, 2017 13:51

There are a few different ways to add fruit. Some people heat it up to 70 degrees to pasturise it, some people just mush it up and add it. There is an infection risk if you do this. Some people add a campden tablet and leave it before adding it.
The fruit and juice will add some sugar so you could add more water at the start.
Rolfster
Brewer

Re: Adding fruit to apple cider kit

Postby jkp » Sat Apr 01, 2017 14:12

Rolfster wrote:The fruit and juice will add some sugar so you could add more water at the start.

That very much depends on the fruit, many will actually be quite low in sugar, so adding water would give you a thin final product. Fruit juice too is often made to be close to about 100g/L sugar, which is the same as AJ, so no need to dilute that either. Syrups or cordial would be another issue though.

jkp
Brewer