Tesco deals

Discussions of interest about making wine, cider and other fermented beverages

Tesco deals

Postby tonyhibbett » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:50

Tesco Direct have a number of half price deals on home brew. As a result I have ordered some cheap red wine kits with a view to combining them to improve the quality. The Winebuddy 30 bottle cabernet sauvignon combined with a 6 bottle elderberry kit for £16 + sugar seems worth a try and also Premium 30 bottle red plus Muntons 6 bottle cabernet sauvignon at the same cost. Normally I wouldn't buy any of them!
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Re: Tesco deals

Postby tonyhibbett » Wed Feb 22, 2017 14:11

The first batch is Winebuddy CS + country elderberry (includes some rgjc & glucose). The combination increases the fruit juice content from 20 to 30% and significantly improves colour. I added 4 kg sugar, giving sg 1090 at 23 litres, so potential abv 12% (usually 11). The 900 g elderberry kit adds 720 g of sugars to the Winebuddy. How much of this includes glucose is not stated. The elderberry concentrate does not contain much sugar. The total sugar in the compound is 76%. The plan is to rack once, omit the stabiliser and finings, and leave the wine to clear in an oak cask for a month. Cost: £19.
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Postby tonyhibbett » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:17

At the moment it still tastes rather bland, so I have added the flavouring pack, which is usually added at the end. As the pack consists of fruit concentrate (in this case 285 g of red grape plus red and blackcurrant) adding at the end has a sweetening effect which is uncharacteristic of the cabernet sauvignon it attempts to imitate.
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Postby tonyhibbett » Fri Mar 03, 2017 13:55

The original pH was 3.3 and is now 3.0, so the acidity is too high. I put this down to the addition of the flavouring pack, which is high in citric acid. I added 10 g of potassium carbonate, which changed the pH to 3.4, the ideal. The must (at sg 1010) now tastes smooth but clearly deficient in tannin, so I added 3 teaspoons. The must now tastes quite respectable.
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Postby Pakman » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:14

tonyhibbett wrote:The original pH was 3.3 and is now 3.0, so the acidity is too high. I put this down to the addition of the flavouring pack, which is high in citric acid. I added 10 g of potassium carbonate, which changed the pH to 3.4, the ideal. The must (at sg 1010) now tastes smooth but clearly deficient in tannin, so I added 3 teaspoons. The must now tastes quite respectable.

Tony, where do you get the info on what to add for what reason please? Is there a good book I should look at. I've tried a couple of wines from grapes and the resultant wine definitely needs attention.

Thanks Graham (beer brewer mostly)

If they say money cannot buy happiness - then explain motorcycles and beer! :thumb:
Pakman
Brewer

Postby tonyhibbett » Mon Mar 13, 2017 13:09

Winemaking in Style by Gerry Fowles is the best book I've found. If using grapes, they must be fully ripened wine grapes, not dessert grapes.
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Postby tonyhibbett » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:55

The Winebuddy plus elderberry has worked out quite well. It tasted good after racking. I have transferred it to the oak cask for further improvement
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Postby tonyhibbett » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:55

Stage 2 combines the Munton premium red 30 bottle kit with the 6 bottle cabernet sauvignon kit. This only boosts the juice ingredient to a mere 1 litre per gallon, but I've had quite good results from the basic kit after a spell in oak.
tonyhibbett
Brewer